yconic - Students with kids?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Students with kids?

A photo of hkbialik hkbialik
I think most of the students on here are recently coming out of high school, but are there any of you out there who are parents? How do you plan on coping with everything? What do you think are the upsides and downsides to being in school with kids? Especially young children - mine are 4, 2, and 10 months.

I started university straight out of high school, had three kids, and now I'm going back. I've done the student thing and I've done the mom thing, now I have to see if I can do them at the same time!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
38 replies

A photo of KatrinBlack KatrinBlack
I wish you the best. Keeping your energy level up is going to be very important. To do this I suggest cut out the coffee, and walk or jog everyday. Put the kids in a stroller and consider it important family time. The kids will enjoy being outside and learn that exercise is important as well. Ask for assistance when you need a break. Parents neighbours and friends are willing to help if asked. Count on them. When you have extra time and energy you can reciprocate by having them over for coffee, watching their kids or even helping them rake their leaves or shovel. If it's too much, try part time studies rather than full time. Remember, your kids will grow up before you know it. Special time with them is important for them and for you as well.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You are a really great success story, and good on you for making it through everything like you did!.. It aint easy! It seems like all you see these days are teen mom shows portraying young women, most of whom try and not succeed in following through with school, or even graduating for that matter! So the best of luck to you in the future!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of jenny12sohn jenny12sohn
I'm still in high school, and I'm not a parent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
From what I've seen, parents honestly are the better students. Not only do they have more responsibility, but they seem to have more drive than everyone else. They have people depending on them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Why are you so irresponsible to have kids while in school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@ARMY101 wrote

I didn't say that, I think you must have misunderstood (that is, if you're referring to me)... I said that they have more responsibility. By that I mean more things to be responsible for - and more things driving them to succeed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@cosstickxx wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

I didn't say that, I think you must have misunderstood (that is, if you're referring to me)... I said that they have more responsibility. By that I mean more things to be responsible for - and more things driving them to succeed.

No, I'm responding to anyone who had kids while in university. That's selfish for those kids and a ridiculous thing to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Starstruck Starstruck

@ARMY101 wrote

@cosstickxx wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

No, I'm responding to anyone who had kids while in university. That's selfish for those kids and a ridiculous thing to do.

I get the feeling the poster is an adult going to university to get a degree...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
My parents had me while they were in university. I honestly don't know if they would've graduated without the amazing support of my grandparents who took care of me whenever they needed someone. Use the resources available to you :) .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@ARMY101 wrote

Things sometimes just happen. People make mistakes. Or maybe it was their prerogative.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of hkbialik hkbialik

@ARMY101 wrote

@cosstickxx wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

Three separate birth control failures, and no, not due to improper use. It happens. And yes, I was an adult attending university, married, my husband has a bachelor's and now I'm finishing school.

Not sure why it would matter either way. Some people have children while attending school on purpose - so what? I didn't, because I thought it would be really hard work (and it was/is), but it happened and nobody's life is ruined. My kids are being raised well; they're bright and social and happy. I'm going back to school so our family will be dual-income, so I can send my kids to college and provide lots of other opportunities along the way.

And the problem with all this is what, exactly?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@heesoup wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

Things sometimes just happen. People make mistakes. Or maybe it was their prerogative.

Having sex is not a mistake. You do it knowing the possible consequences, which are selfish and reckless.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jesseyeahh Jesseyeahh
OP, please forgive Studentawards for ARMY101, he is an unrealistic, judgemental prude towards everyone. Good luck with your schooling.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@ARMY101 wrote

I'm pretty sure she came for support...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jesseyeahh wrote
OP, please forgive Studentawards for ARMY101, he is an unrealistic, judgemental prude towards everyone. Good luck with your schooling.

LMAO, unrealistic? So having sex is sometimes a mistake? Sometimes you're just reading a book then out of nowhere it's like "Whoa! We're having sex?!"

Grow up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jesseyeahh Jesseyeahh

@ARMY101 wrote

@Jesseyeahh wrote

LMAO, unrealistic? So having sex is sometimes a mistake? Sometimes you're just reading a book then out of nowhere it's like "Whoa! We're having sex?!"

Grow up.

No, sex is a part of life and not automatically condemnable, which is what makes you unrealistic, and also a prude. If you go on to tell me that having sex is risky, get outta here. Everything you do has a risk attached to it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted