yconic - Study tips please!!!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Study tips please!!!!

A photo of mon123 mon123
Hi
This is my first year in university. I am taking international relations and most of my courses are in political science, i read the assigned reading they give us but i dont really understand what i am reading nor can i remember what i have read.Can someone please give me some study tips. I am also not good at memroizing thing or cramming
Was this helpful? Yes 0
29 replies

A photo of kysecord kysecord
What I suggest you do is take notes while doing the course readings as well as redoing your notes once you get back from class as this will help you remember and pay attention as well as the fact that you are putting it into your own words will help you understand what is being said. Before a test or midterm, about a week before, set aside time to make study notes then in your spare time read them over and over and over again. And finally the day before the test actually sit down and try to study and memorize your study notes.

Hope this helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of herlein123 herlein123
I'm in my third year, and I normally study while listening to music, quiet but in the background. One of my teachers asked the class if we ever spend any of the day in silence, and most of us admitted that we rarely if ever do. She challenged us to try it for a while, and I started studying without music, and it really increases concentration. Finding a place that is silent is sometimes hard, but school libraries are a great option!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slabelle00 slabelle00
There is one tip that my psych teacher gave me for studying for "big tests" that struck me as interesting; make your study environment the same as your test environment.

Have you ever had one of those times when a memory is triggered from doing an activity you've done before? Like, if you're reading a book you've read before, you might recall what you were doing on the day you last read that book?

That can happen with studying. If you sit at a desk and wear the same kinds of clothes you will wear to take the test, and don't text or listen to music (because you wouldn't be able to do this during the test would you?) You may be more likely to remember the information you were studying when it comes time to take the test.

Of coarse, this doesn't work for everyone. I found it helpful the night before a test to review all the information like this.

Hopefully you find some ways that work for you, and you do really great in school.

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cecile Cecile
What I do if I need to study really bad is go over all your notes and maybe the textbook if you weren't paying attention then make little notes about it on a piece of paper so you can remember then take a online practice test. If you don't do so well on the practice test then review the things you wrote down on the piece of paper.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kocka28 kocka28
Hey!
Best place to study is a place without WIFI, we always study and do homework at our Local Tim Hortons, you can listen to music or if that is too much of a distraction, people in the restaurant provide enough background noise to keep you stimulated, plus there is a sufficient amount of coffee for those late nights just a arms reach away and the best part is no internet no distracting facebook!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christophersingh christophersingh
the way that i study is by reading over the notes that I've copied in class, once I've done that i go through my notes and condense them into my own words, after that i read them over and make sure i understand what I'm reading. Remember its easier to do something if u know what your doing memorizing is good when your in a jam but by understanding the topic you will find it easier to put out the answers in your own words
i then further condense my notes so that they are trigger words that i can go back to when asked a question in my head that one word will bring back the entire concept that i can then use to answer the question.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hibberd hibberd
I find it really helps to have a friend or classmate to study with, you can easily go over notes together, quiz one another, and share different perspectives which may help you a lot down the road!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OhLaura OhLaura
From my experience, you are going to intake the most information through your lectures, above all. So takes good notes! As for the readings though, I know it is hard to remember what you are reading, but as you go along, quickly jot down what you feel is the most important information. Not everything, or you will lose you mind. Most of it you'll never even have to remember anyways, so only key points are necessary!! Also, sometimes quick little sticky notes on each page help you summarize, and are helpful when you need to come back to something later on!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LaPetiteTanya LaPetiteTanya
Don't multi-task while studying. Turn off facebook and your phone. Distractions make the study period a waste of time. Also, don't study for more than 30 minutes at a time. Taking little breaks in between is vital. Otherwise your brain has a hard time processing it all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If you're the social type ask for concept summaries from students who have recently passed the course you're studying. They might even be willing to share their class notes with you or join you in a study hall somewhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DakotaJade DakotaJade
I write additional notes when studying and if I am comparing something I find it very useful to make charts and images. It's also scientifically proven that this is helpful because of "production bias". I would for example do something like:

conservatives vs. liberals
*Harper *Ignatieff

I find it especially helpful to color code and the use of markers and a white board can work wonders. Good luck!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Oprime Oprime
What helps me the most is making hand written (with colours if you're really motivated) study notes. It helps because you're rewriting the material, and it helps me to know what I already know and what I need to learn. Plus, since the information is condensed, it'll save time, and personally, I find that it relieves some stress as well because it makes it seem like there is less to learn.
Good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johannafraser johannafraser
When I have a reading to do, I habitually HIGHLIGHT... I mean, like crazy! It makes key terms and points stick out, which makes them more memorable. Additionally, try taking down notes while you read, highlight things that you don't understand and look them up on the internet or talk to someone about them. Also, if possible, take a chance to talk to your profs or someone in your classes who seems to know what they are talking about. A lot of the time, all it takes is listening to someone in a less formal setting for you to really catch on. Finally, a great way to remember things is to make connections--think about how something you have just heard or learned can connect with something you have previous knowledge. sort of... learning by association. :) Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kathleenMARIE kathleenMARIE
These REALLY helped! (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kathleenMARIE kathleenMARIE
These REALLY helped! (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sam22v Sam22v
A really good study tip that a prof once gave me was to read over your text everyday before classes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MaryWalton MaryWalton
When Im stressed and have too many projects on at one time, I try to take projects one step at a time - I just concentrate on the project i'm trying to finish at the time - and worry about others when I'm done. Then i just start the next one and do the same thing. Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c3gibson c3gibson
The way that I study, especially when reading from a textbook, is I highlight what is important first and then take notes on it. Then right before the test I re-write my notes and condense them as much as possible. I keep re-writing and condensing until for the final I have three or so pages of core material and having looked at the rest of it so much and writing it out I know my stuff. Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c3gibson c3gibson
The way that I study, especially when reading from a textbook, is I highlight what is important first and then take notes on it. Then right before the test I re-write my notes and condense them as much as possible. I keep re-writing and condensing until for the final I have three or so pages of core material and having looked at the rest of it so much and writing it out I know my stuff. Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kanzai kanzai
here's my advice: Turn off all electronics including cell phone, ipod, tv, wifi, computer etc. Go to a quiet place; such as library, room and force yourself to study with no distractions. This worked for me and it raised my average! Yea!:compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jhazz jhazz
I personally find that I have troubles actually studying or working on assignments in the library (I'm always concentrating on what other people are doing! haha), so I prefer to study at home, its sitll relatively quiet with some background noise from roomates cooking or watching tv. I also dont reccomend studying in bed or somewhere else comfy! You may fall asleep ahha. And definitely take notes while you do your course readings and always take notes during classes. And review as much as you can!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of efdalida efdalida
I took psychology and they said that reading a little bit per day will help you memorize things better. Study in a place where there is little noise. It is also helpful if you read out loud and take notes during class, that way you stay focused and engaged.
Cramming is never a good thing :/ unless that works for some people.
hope that helps (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of almoraze almoraze
If you're having trouble remembering a vast content, try to put it in a way you will remember... If you're musical, arrange it into a song. I always find it amazing how I am able to recall the lyrics of songs that I have not heard in years... (It makes me wonder how much brain space I am wasting :P)

If you're a visual learner you could try mapping things out... making charts and tables often helps... (this also works for kinesthetic learners)

Auditory learner? Read aloud or record yourself, maybe have a study buddy read the information to you... If this is how you learn it might help...

How that helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yubyub93 yubyub93
Well... if you're learning about something you are interested in, it definitely makes it easier to memorize. I'm a visual learner so I always seem to read over my notes. However, getting others to quiz you or explaining it to other people always seem to help. Writing in red also makes it easier to memorize - it has been scientifically proven!
Was this helpful? Yes 0