yconic - Stupid Question about Summer School??????
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Stupid Question about Summer School??????

A photo of waazup waazup
Alright..So I plan on taking English in summer school.

1) Could I possibly have the same teacher that taught me this course last year for my summer school teacher? I really hope not.

2) Could I have teachers that teach this course in my school, for my summer school teacher?

3) How is summer school? How are the teachers? It's my first time, and I really need to get a high mark!!

Thanks guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
1) It's possible. If they decide to work over the summer and teach a summer school course, it's very possible. Especially if the school for summer school is your home school. I don't know where you're from but I'm assuming Ontario. In BC, summer school is at a different high school every year and a lot of the times, a lot of teachers that teach during that year will stay in the summer to teach summer school as well.

2) Same as #1. Ask the teacher if they're teaching summer school, best way to find out.

3) It was my first time taking summer school this past summer too. Well, second time, but the first time was online. I took English as well, but online. I also did Physics, in class. Just talking about English, I found it SO much easier than taking it during the school year, but it really depends on the kind of learner you are. If you're strong at English and can be very self motivated, then you should consider doing it over the summer. Going into the course, I just wanted to come out with an A.. but I ended up with a 95, which was surprising. It was a LOT of work though, a lot of late nights writing essays and early mornings reading novels. Keep in mind that you're cramming 5 months (if you're semester) or 10 months (if you're linear) into the span of ONE month. For me, I had to finish a novel in 3 days, do written assignments, read plays, and write essays almost everyday. Not to mention the occasional test, midterm.. and of course, the final/provincial (if you're from BC).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Along with cyynthiia's post, make sure the programs you want to go into next year will not penalize you for taking gr 12 summer school courses (competitive programs at Waterloo & U of T)...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Waterloo & U of T penalize for taking summer school courses?! Really?! O___o
Odd, I still got into both after taking a summer school course, but I guess Sciences aren't considered as "competitive" as Business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I believe Waterloo's accounting & math program takes one percent off your average!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@heesoup wrote
I believe Waterloo's accounting & math program takes one percent off your average!!

Only the Math Faculty penalizes for non-day school courses. Many penalize for repeated courses.

http://findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/repeated.php
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Thanks, I am now in the "know"!

Will they at least post a list up or tell me who my teacher will be for summer school? And if I get an undesired one, could I switch before it starts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
They don't usually post up a list of teachers.
More likely than not, you will find out who your teacher is the first day of summer school.
And whether or not you can switch out depends on how many classes they have. If you're taking a course that has more than one class and there's room in the other class, I think they will allow you to switch out provided that you have a legitimate reason. If not, you can switch from the AM to PM class or from PM to AM class with no problem, I'm pretty sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
^
But the thing is English is a competitive course to get into for summer school..

You sure they will have these spots open? I REALLY dont want that teacher (no offense to him/her)!!!!!!!! Pleaseeeeeeee
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Where are you from?
There is no "competition" to get into summer school courses here.
They will offer as many classes as need be, according to the number of students registered.
If you already know the teacher teaching it and don't like him/her, the solution is simple.
DON'T. TAKE. IT. IN. SUMMER. SCHOOL.
Yeah?
Just do it online. English is one of those classes that you either have to enjoy, especially the teacher. If not, it's just torture and not worth your time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
^
I'm in Brampton (Ontario)

The counsellor said that usually 2000 kids apply for English and around 800 get IN.

The thing is I don't know if the teacher will be my teacher for summer school.

How's online? Do they change the course code? If yes, then I'm not doing it.

I'll talk to my counsellor about this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I doubt that is true.
There can't be 2k students in ONE school district that want to take the same class over the summer.
But if you sign up first, you shouldn't have a problem.
It SHOULD be a first-come first-serve basis, unless east coast schools work differently, which would be dumb.
Summer school teachers tend to mark easier and more lenient in my opinion.
What do you mean by "course code"?
You mean course curriculum?
It's the same amount of work as taking it in-class. I compared with some of my friends who took it in-class and their classes actually sounded a lot easier.
It's just a lot more self-guided, like you have to read the novels/plays on your own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Course code.
As in ENG 4U0, because in private school I think they change it to ENG 4UP right..

Anyways, I highly doubt I would take it online.

Thanks for the info.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh, I don't know about that lol.
I don't come from Ontario so I have no idea how your courses work....
U.. M...
Idunno..
Was this helpful? Yes 0