Suggestions For Voluntary/Experience For Software Engineer?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Suggestions For Voluntary/Experience For Software Engineer?

A photo of CompGuy CompGuy
I&#39;m hoping to get into Waterloo&#39;s Software Engineering program (in grade 11). They have an extra requirement: <br>&#34;-Strong performance in a programming course such as Grade 11 or 12 Computer and Information Science or equivalent <br>-Strong performance in a programming contest <br>-Significant work experience <br>-Other (must be explained on the Admission Information Form)&#34; <br>So I&#39;m working on the programming course one. I need some ideas though for other things to do that I can write in my AIF that will impress them to increase my chances of getting in. By the way I will be attending at Waterloo&#39;s programming contest but don&#39;t expect a significant performance at all lol. <br>I need some ideas from people that have done it or have some good ideas let me know please!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of seasharp seasharp
Make something, or join an open-source project.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CompGuy CompGuy
I need some specific Extra Curricular activities to do that you guys have done in the past that you think it helped you out a lot or other examples. Like is there a computer company you know that does volunteering or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of seasharp seasharp

@CompGuy wrote
I need some specific Extra Curricular activities to do that you guys have done in the past that you think it helped you out a lot or other examples. Like is there a computer company you know that does volunteering or something?

Just find one in your area and ask. A lot of people won't say no to free labour.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
Adding to what's probably been said above, personal projects! That can include involvement in something open source. (host it on github for brownie points... for some reason that grants the points of brown cake, unbeknownst to me why)

Try to find a job placement in the area, whether paid or not. Not only does it look good, but you gain a lot of valuable experience.

I generally disagree with seasharp though. With a lot of the people I've seen apply for my work, I would pay some of them to stay away from my code if I was forced to hire them <.<
Was this helpful? Yes 0