yconic - Suits
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Suits

A photo of g93 g93
This is directed to those in university programs (business)

How often do you wear suits, or just business casual or w/e?

I realize that you don't wear a suit to class (or most don't) but do you need to at times? My brother is in college and when they have guest speakers come in they are told to "dress up". In addition, there are networking events, .....?

So basically how often do you "dress up"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
71 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote
This is directed to those in university programs (business)

How often do you wear suits, or just business casual or w/e?

I realize that you don't wear a suit to class (or most don't) but do you need to at times? My brother is in college and when they have guest speakers come in they are told to "dress up". In addition, there are networking events, .....?

So basically how often do you "dress up"?

In the winter - yes. In the summer - no. Suits, I believe, are dreadfully uncomfortable, therefore I keep shirts, sweaters, trousers...I also dislike ties.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
Well i invested in a suit this year, for DECA, prom and in future (co-op, networking events and such)

probably wore/will wear about 4-5 times this year, think its worth it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@apark17 wrote
Well i invested in a suit this year, for DECA, prom and in future (co-op, networking events and such)

probably wore/will wear about 4-5 times this year, think its worth it!

I already have a suit, and multiple shirts/ties. I am just wondering how often suits or business casual are needed, as I will definitely need more "dress" clothes, especially since I am working in an office the next two summers and will eventually have co-op and networking events and the like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BigBMan BigBMan
I did without a suit for my first year, but things do come up where you should have it. I managed with a couple dress shirts and ties, but you should invest in a suit now rather than later.

If you're looking for a number, depending on how many conferences and networking events you go to, and interviews you get, I would say, anywhere from 4-10 times.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BigBMan BigBMan
I did without a suit for my first year, but things do come up where you should have it. I managed with a couple dress shirts and ties, but you should invest in a suit now rather than later.

If you're looking for a number, depending on how many conferences and networking events you go to, and interviews you get, I would say, anywhere from 4-10 times.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BigBMan wrote

Alright, thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Yeah 4-10 sounds about right. But you're going to have to dress up (some do suit some don't) for some classes like Marketing, Social Context of Business classes, etc.

So depending on your schedule, you might be wearing it a bit more than 4 times but probably no more than 10.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93
Wait, 4 to 10 times per....?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93
^ OK, thanks

@ username81 nice!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hotmustard121 hotmustard121
I think having an all around suit is a good a idea to have regardless of what faculty you are in. This is why I bought a suit for grad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Mostly business casual but having a solid suit is important. I wore my suit probably 5-10 times this year.

If you're in the suit market:
Get something slim fitting that shows off your body.
Go two button, notch lapel and either single or double vented
Don't get a black suit. Just don't. Go with a dark grey/charcoal or navy. Try to avoid pinstripes if you can.
Get a nice pair of shoes. Avoid square shoes. Your feet are not square so why are your shoes?
Get a white and a blue shirt at the minimum. They're staples and work with anything.
Get some simple striped ties in stand out colours. Snag some pocket squares too.Try not to be too matchy matchy with a pocket square. But its a great way to add some personality.
If you arent sure on ideas for a suit. Check out: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=234255 Lots of great fits.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of idylle10 idylle10
^ OR..

Barney Stinson.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
if you are going into QC, you will need it for first year for sure. You will probably have a formal in frosh week. There are position hirings in the first month or so for comsoc things, you need it for class presentations and if you go to any of the conferences/ competitions you will need the suit all weekend. For next year im bringing 3 suits cuz i dont get time to dry clean to often.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@idylle10 wrote
^ OR..

Barney Stinson.

Barney wears black far too often. Not a good look for business.

@QCman wrote
if you are going into QC, you will need it for first year for sure. You will probably have a formal in frosh week. There are position hirings in the first month or so for comsoc things, you need it for class presentations and if you go to any of the conferences/ competitions you will need the suit all weekend. For next year im bringing 3 suits cuz i dont get time to dry clean to often.

Three suits? Really? How often do you wear them? Should be able to get quite a bit of wear out of them before you dry clean them. Unless they have an odour or are obviously dirty theres no real need to dry clean it. The chemicals only destroy the fabric.

Since the majority of the time you'll just be wearing it for a few hours (presentations interviews), and you should be changing out of it quite quickly you should be OK.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
for most events you arent wearing it to often, but i only get the chance to dry clean 2 times a year, and if i even spilled something and needed a backup suit, it would be an issue. however for conferences you are wearing them 3 days straight so you do use them a good amount. I will say that 3 is not needed, i just like suits and like having lots.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
Really, charcoal or navy? I only have one and its black. Darn, need to go shopping.

Do you see all colors at QC or do most people just go for a simple black?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
you dont need to go shopping for another one, you can still get by, but a backup would be nice to have. most people have plain black, sometimes with vertical pinstripes. one or 2 grey suits might be around but i think everyone should at least have a standard black one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
Black is passable but should be avoided for business. Same with 3 buttons. If you're buying a new suit, it should be a 2 button and I would reccomend navy or charcoal. Brown is not a bad option as long as its dark. Some stripes are also acceptable. Make sure you have atleast one plain white dress shirt as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Thanks QCman, and thanks noxx98, you really went all out with the fashion tips :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011
I hadn't bought a suit going into my first semester at QC and it's one of the first things I did when I was home for Thanksgiving.

You'll definitely need a suit for conferences and formal interviews. You will need them for in-class presentations (I didn't have any first semester first year, but I did second semester. I think his changes depending on your profs so be prepared). At QC, Commerce Society (ComSoc = student council) interviews are done in suits/business casual.

For girls, try to have one pant suit with jacket and then a variety of more business-casual pieces: skirt, blazer, coloured-shirts. It's definitely an investment - you'll end up using all these pieces (and buying more) for summer jobs. Also, try to bring some semi-formal entire (short dresses). There's a semi-formal dance at the end of Frosh Week, an annual Commerce Semi and a lot of conferences include semi-formal occasions. (Boys, this is another reason for a suit)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
At Laurier:
3 times for New Venture Presentation (including semis)
1 case competition
2 interviews
1 club exec interviews
1 co-op dinner with CA firms
3 other networking events

total: 11 times from what i can recall
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@iDream wrote
At Laurier:
3 times for New Venture Presentation (including semis)
1 case competition
2 interviews
1 club exec interviews
1 co-op dinner with CA firms
3 other networking events

total: 11 times from what i can recall

How can I become a club exec?
Was this helpful? Yes 0