yconic - Summer Placements for Western and Ivey
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Summer Placements for Western and Ivey

A photo of Siva100 Siva100
Hey guys,

I am just wondering about the chances of getting summer placements for Ivey.
I was looking at their report http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/docs/placement-reports/IveyHBA-Summer-Employment-Report.pdf and the numbers seem pretty good, but I want to know your take on it.

Furthermore I am planning to do Engineering at Western and I was wondering the chances of landing a job in summer. Given that I will be first year, I understand that my chances will be low but I cannot seem to find any reports from Western.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of Super Super

@Siva100 wrote
Hey guys,

I am just wondering about the chances of getting summer placements for Ivey.
I was looking at their report http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/docs/placement-reports/IveyHBA-Summer-Employment-Report.pdf and the numbers seem pretty good, but I want to know your take on it.

Furthermore I am planning to do Engineering at Western and I was wondering the chances of landing a job in summer. Given that I will be first year, I understand that my chances will be low but I cannot seem to find any reports from Western.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Great question! I hope someone in Ivey could answer this. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
For Engineering, you will be on your own. It will be extremely difficult to find a relevant job in this market.

As for Ivey, if you're at the top of your class, you'll have a plethora of opportunity for summer internships and good ones too. With the increased admission numbers Ivey has given, if you wind up below average you will ultimately have difficulty finding a legitimate internship without connections. This is what my friends at Ivey have told me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So the numbers do not really reflect the actual situation?. And you mention summer internships. Is this for 3 months or is this a full year thing?

And as for engineering, I was looking into into and western does have SECOP. Do the opportunities rise as you move into your senior years and are you able to get an engineering position even though you are studying at Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
The report is interesting. It congratulates the class of 2012 (graduates), but talks about summer placements. Why would graduates need summer placements? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Siva100 wrote
So the numbers do not really reflect the actual situation?. And you mention summer internships. Is this for 3 months or is this a full year thing?

And as for engineering, I was looking into into and western does have SECOP. Do the opportunities rise as you move into your senior years and are you able to get an engineering position even though you are studying at Ivey?

I don't know the specifics. All I know is that everyone I know in Western Engineering in first year are no where near anything close to a job. I imagine whatever resources Western has for Engineers will of course be given to them in 3rd year summer like every other program.

It's hard to answer your first question. All you need to know is that if you're a superstar, Ivey will make you a boss. If not, Ivey is still the best Business School Brand Name in Canada and best Canadian Business School Brand outside internationally but with 600 kids coming out of undergrad every year, it's hard to imagine that they will all find good jobs. And internships are for the summer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Given that this is the case.

What is more important? Work experience or going to a prestigious school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@Siva100 wrote
Given that this is the case.

What is more important? Work experience or going to a prestigious school?

Whose perspective are you considering? This is very personal and depends on your goals and plans.

For example, my girlfriend goes to York for BA. It's not the greatest school. However, she has also been working full time for the past year at one of the major banks as an associate in wealth management. Last week she was interviewed for Futures Trader position at the same bank. Out of 1000 applicants, she was one of 3 people selected for the interview and is now waiting to hear back (one of the 3 people already got rejected).

At the same time, there are people coming out of top schools who don't get such offers right away while some people get other great opportunities. You have to think of your own future, envision what you want to do and create the best plan to attain that goal. There is no one way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The reason is that given that Ivey is a costly program, I do not want to end up with a lot of debt after my University degree. This is why I am debating between other universities such as Waterloo who have very high co-op placements.

How beneficial will an Ivey degree be over another degree when looking at employment opportunities?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@Siva100 wrote
The reason is that given that Ivey is a costly program, I do not want to end up with a lot of debt after my University degree. This is why I am debating between other universities such as Waterloo who have very high co-op placements.

How beneficial will an Ivey degree be over another degree when looking at employment opportunities?

Again, you need to think where you want to go. IMHO, outside of capital markets, Ivey does less for a student than Schulich, Queen's, Laurier. I am all for getting the best value, most advantages and guess where I am. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Taking this into consideration. Is it wise to do a double degree at Ivey. Because other institutions offer double majors and double degrees and I feel like I am paying just for the Ivey name....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@Siva100 wrote
Taking this into consideration. Is it wise to do a double degree at Ivey. Because other institutions offer double majors and double degrees and I feel like I am paying just for the Ivey name....

At pretty much any school you're paying for the school's name and the school's career resources, especially for business. At least that's how I think of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To the OP:

You can look at insignificant reasons: e.g. availability of double degrees, value of prestige, etc. but ultimately, you should choose the school and program that you want to go to the most - the one you want to tell your friends and family you chose and the one you want to tell people why you chose it. You can try to focus on other issues, but it's impossible for you to get the whole picture so you'll always have an not necessarily correct and bias view. So as contradictory as it seems - don't focus on the facts. Try to get the base idea and knowledge of the programs you want to attend, visit the campuses and then use your heart and intuition after.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
To the OP:

You can look at insignificant reasons: e.g. availability of double degrees, value of prestige, etc. but ultimately, you should choose the school and program that you want to go to the most - the one you want to tell your friends and family you chose and the one you want to tell people why you chose it. You can try to focus on other issues, but it's impossible for you to get the whole picture so you'll always have an not necessarily correct and bias view. So as contradictory as it seems - don't focus on the facts. Try to get the base idea and knowledge of the programs you want to attend, visit the campuses and then use your heart and intuition after.

I think this is a great way to approach it!. Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey312 ivey312
I go to Ivey and I've been really lucky to have lots of interviews and offers for the summer. However, there are a lot of people who don't get any interviews. If you are confident that you are in the top 20% of your Ivey class you will probably get a lot of interviews. Be careful when reading those reports, if you factor in the participation rate and the sources of school facilitated job offers, the number of jobs from actual on campus recruiting is closer to 30%. There are lots of other ways to get jobs though and the career management centre at Ivey is really good. Being in engineering will probably help as lots of employers like Engineering/HBA students but its always a lot harder to get jobs in first year. Make sure to start networking. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JulianA JulianA
Wow it has been so long since I have been on SA. I remember I used to come on this all the time obsessed with getting into Rotman, and then Ivey. Anyways, I am an HBA1 and I would be happy to provide some insights. First, I would like to mention that Ivey is a great school,and I believe the case method is far superior to lectures.

Remember, HBA1 is a very rigorous program so do not expect a free ride into an internship, you will have to work hard to get the high grades that recruiters look for. Currently, I am still trying to secure a summer internship position in finance. Unfortunetly, my grades just were not competitive to compared to others, and I did not put in the necessary effort to build connections. It was an important lesson about how getting into a career is really a marathon and not a race, so make sure that you maintain the high work ethic and extra curricular activities that will get you into Ivey.Not everyone gets a position right away. One of my roommates got PE at Birch Hill, another got IB in New York, another got S&T at CS, but many are still looking. The ones who got into finance were the ones that worked hard to get good grades, and put in the time to network and practice for interviews. The IB banks filter who they pick:first by marks, then by CV, and finally byinterview.I would like to mention that once you are in the interview grades mean absolutely nothing, so make sure that you work on your people skills too. I had two friends going for the CS job and the one with the lower mark got picked because they liked his personality better, just saying.

So I would like to close by saying that I dont regret coming to Ivey. The learning experience has been great, I have built many meaningful relationships, and I am much more confident about being able to perform in the real world. But Why? You did not get recruited. Yes, that is true, but Ivey has improved my ability to go beyond theory and actually "do".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JulianA JulianA

@Siva100 wrote

I would like to mention that prestige is not granted randomly. There is a reason why most investment banks and consulting firms choose to do their recuiting at Ivey. They want the type of skills and work ethic that Ivey is known for, this is something I have been told from recruiters themselves. Moreover, Ivey has amazing resources, and it is truly a bonding experience. It is much more than a name, anyone who tell you otherwise, has not experienced the HBA. I also believe that Schulich and Queens have reasons behind their name too, but I will always hold the position that the case method is superior for the practical application of business theory, and learning in general.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JulianA wrote

@Siva100 wrote

I would like to mention that prestige is not granted randomly. There is a reason why most investment banks and consulting firms choose to do their recuiting at Ivey. They want the type of skills and work ethic that Ivey is known for, this is something I have been told from recruiters themselves. Moreover, Ivey has amazing resources, and it is truly a bonding experience. It is much more than a name, anyone who tell you otherwise, has not experienced the HBA. I also believe that Schulich and Queens have reasons behind their name too, but I will always hold the position that the case method is superior for the practical application of business theory, and learning in general.

I understand what you mean by prestige, but at the end of the day, I believe that in today's world if an employer is looking at hiring someone,experience trumps prestige any day. Given this and not to sound pessimistic or lazy but if only the top 20% have a good chance of landing a good job, would it have been better for the other 80% to go to another institution to have a better chance of landing a job?
Was this helpful? Yes 0