yconic - summer research opportunity for high school students (DRSA)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

summer research opportunity for high school students (DRSA)

A photo of sarahq93 sarahq93
i did this last summer. its considered a nerd camp, like shad (which i also did). essentially, they gather 40 of canada's brightest students and allow them to work as research assistants at atomic energy canada limited. you will work directly under an university student and a scientist. its a great hands on experience and lets you really figure out if science is the right path for you. students also have to write a research paper at this time (mine was 50+ pages) which is kept at the aecl library. you also get two ontario co-op credits. : ]

so check it out.

http://www.drsa.ca/
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
Cool. I would have definitely considered such a thing if I were going into science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mgmt mgmt

@sarahq93 wrote
i did this last summer. its considered a nerd camp, like shad (which i also did). essentially, they gather 40 of canada's brightest students and allow them to work as research assistants at atomic energy canada limited. you will work directly under an university student and a scientist. its a great hands on experience and lets you really figure out if science is the right path for you. students also have to write a research paper at this time (mine was 50+ pages) which is kept at the aecl library. you also get two ontario co-op credits. : ]

so check it out.

That sounds pretty neat, I'll definitely check it out. What kind of average did you need to get in?

I applied to Shad for this summer and I'm just waiting for February to roll around! Do you know of any other good summer enrichment programs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mgmt wrote

@sarahq93 wrote

so check it out.

That sounds pretty neat, I'll definitely check it out. What kind of average did you need to get in?

I applied to Shad for this summer and I'm just waiting for February to roll around! Do you know of any other good summer enrichment programs?

its a program for the keeners. most of the people who went last year had at least a 90% average. i think they ask you have at least a 80% average, but they're hoping for applicants who have higher. : ]

shad was a great experience, one of the most life changing months of my life. so kudos to you for applying.

as far as other summer enrichment programs, there's the harvard and stanford summer schools. oxford also has a summer school. these are all high school geared programs, and participants get to stay on campus for about two months, take university courses and earn credits.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
Do high school grads go to these programs? (Those who have finished grade 12 in June 2011)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote
Do high school grads go to these programs? (Those who have finished grade 12 in June 2011)

yes, they can.

you can also be hired by the program if you are in university to work as a research supervisor to the high school students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump. this is an amazing opportunity. : ] where else would you be able to say your first summer job was working as a theoretical nuclear physicist?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
why r u pushing this thread so much?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote
why r u pushing this thread so much?

lol, like she clearly stated, it's an awesome opportunity for young students like us to be able to do these kinds of things!
definitely take advantage of it..
thanks sarah, checking it out right now
:compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0