yconic - Summer school HELP PLEASE !
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Summer school HELP PLEASE !

A photo of aquarius aquarius
Hi There ,

I am currently in Grade 11 and planning to drop my Advanced Function and take it in Summer School with the hope of getting higher marks.Right now I am averaging around 80 and the teacher is OK in me dropping the course completely and take it as a new subject at summer school.

My teacher also said I could take it as remedial which means she has to drop my marks really low.
My question is : How do Universities see Remedial marks ? What should I do ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of jelly jelly
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's a bit too late to drop the course... it'll probably appear on your transcript. Your midterm marks are already on there. Either way, at this point your summer mark will probably appear as a repeated course, which can be penalized (up to 1% of your top 6, I hear).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc
It really depends on the university you want to apply to. For example, McMaster does not penalize students for repeated courses, they just take the higher mark. Also, they don't differentiate between day classes, summer school, and night school.

Just make sure you go on the sites of the universities you are planning on applying to and check for this information.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TigerBlood TigerBlood
I wont recommend summer school for advanced functions, actually DONT F*****G DO IT!
I did summer school adv func with tdsb in july '10 & it was a big mistake! you have to do functions 9-3 & you will learn a topic in the morning&get quizzed in the afternoon & test every 2nd or 3rd day. you have to work VERY VERY VERY hard. Our teacher taught absolute value inequalities and all this random crap that isnt even part of the course!

You are better off doing english in summer school than adv func! if you are getting 80 now, I dont think you will do any better in summer school. I'd rather repeat the course with the same teacher at your day school because you know their teaching style and the course material already. & dont bother with remedial! you are smart, you just need to work at it:D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zefyre zefyre

@aquarius wrote
Hi There ,

I am currently in Grade 11 and planning to drop my Advanced Function and take it in Summer School with the hope of getting higher marks.Right now I am averaging around 80 and the teacher is OK in me dropping the course completely and take it as a new subject at summer school.

My teacher also said I could take it as remedial which means she has to drop my marks really low.
My question is : How do Universities see Remedial marks ? What should I do ?

Well I did summer school advanced functions, got 88 after the first three tests, dropped to a 72 after the trig identities unit and dropped it. A test everyday isn't fun especially when you cram trig identities all in one day
Was this helpful? Yes 0