yconic - Summer School after Admission
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Summer School after Admission

A photo of brady23 brady23
Hey guys,

Is it possible to receive admission after taking a summer school course. For example, if I took data and theoretically got a 95, my average would increase by 2.5% because of an 80 in Advanced Functions.

Then my average would go from an 86 to an 88.5, which may just be enough to get into McMaster Life Sciences.

Is this possible? Or do I have to come for a 5th year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I don't know how it works in Ontario, but I know in BC that you can't do that.
The university receives your final school grades in about July, and they can still admit you based on those, but they don't receive summer school grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of random random
Assuming you are from Ontario because of those universities you've applied to, May 29, 2012 is the latest date by which all secondary school applicants shall expect a response from an Ontario university, according to the OUAC website. Therefore, your summer school marks in 2012 won't affect you receiving an offer.

If you already have an offer, universities require any final grades by a specific date (e.g. end of August by Western) so you may want to check up on that and see if your summer course mark is eligible. This will affect your admission average, so you may get better admission scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of napinhei napinhei
Just call them. I was in this position when I applied to university the first time.

Western told me they wouldn't accept summer school. York said they would, and the other place I applied to - I forget where - said they would, too. Unfortunately, they had to receive my marks by the beginning of August and the route I chose (online course, the website was called Virtual High School) messed me over and sent my grade late even though I finished on time. As a result, my acceptance was revoked.

So, if I were you, I would either attend night school or start at Virtual High School now and do it in your spare time. Finish by mid July or you have no shot.

Just make sure you ask the universities first and make sure you contact the school to forward your grades ASAP.

Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Certain universities do accept marks after the typical admission date. It's really case-dependent, so you should inquire on your own to whatever program you're interested in.

Also, there are tons of acceptances that still get sent out after the supposed "hard deadline"
Was this helpful? Yes 0