yconic - SUMMER SCHOOL ENGLISH/PRIVATE SCHOOL ENGLISH!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

SUMMER SCHOOL ENGLISH/PRIVATE SCHOOL ENGLISH!

A photo of lifesci2011 lifesci2011
im failing summer school gr12 english, only getting a 77 right now and midterm is in two or three days. so i was wondering if i should drop it before midterm so my mark wont show on my transcript. also, if i drop gr12 english, im going to take it in priavte school. i want to apply for life science next year, so does anyone know if the universities will deduct marks or not. (universities such as utsg, mcmaster, york etc)If so, by how much. thanks guys!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Drop the course if you think there's no hope for you to achieve your goal mark. If you're aiming for say, an 80, though, and think you could pull it off, stay in the course. If you're going for like a 90 and it doesn't seem doable, drop it now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@superstar2011 wrote
Drop the course if you think there's no hope for you to achieve your goal mark. If you're aiming for say, an 80, though, and think you could pull it off, stay in the course. If you're going for like a 90 and it doesn't seem doable, drop it now.

i want to get like 85 by the end of the summer school, so is it doable?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lifesci2011 wrote

@superstar2011 wrote

i want to get like 85 by the end of the summer school, so is it doable?

Theoretically, yes of course. But whether it's doable or not should be decided by you. You will need lots of entries in the 90's to be able to pull it off. Based on the marks you got back, if you think you can get 90's and a few high 80's for the rest of the course, you should settle for the 85 final. If you think that's out of your reach (your teacher is too tough or something), then that's when you should consider dropping out.

Edit: I just noticed we're both 2011 students :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh, one more thing I need to inform you about. Private schools marks are usually a red flag for universities. Unless the private school you are attending is known to be legitimate by your university, the staff can choose to reject your mark. I explained it in another post. Make sure you know that your private school won't cheat you. I don't know exactly how some of these schools even work, but many of them are fraudulent. I'm not against private schools, but the admissions office in every university is. You may either take deductions or full-out rejections depending on the conditions of your offer.

@superstar2011 wrote

@Kaff wrote

@superstar2011 wrote
Funny, I have not heard of any universities that frown upon summer school. On the other hand, they do frown upon private school. Summer school grades are usually easier, but not always. It depends on how your teacher likes to teach the course, and since English is the most subjective subject (that sounded funny), it does have slightly more risk than other subjects. You may be required to read novels really quickly and be expected to know the content. I'm not completely sure. I did have a friend who did get a much higher grade in summer school English than achieved in semester school.

why do they frown upon private school? i've never heard that before

To enrol in a course in private school, you pay the school a sizeable amount of money for an easy grade. If you ask a university, they'll tell you that it's basically a cheat. I don't know if private schools are THIS extreme, but in a Maclean's article I once read, some student did a grade 12 English course over a weekend and had a grade in the 90's. This is theoretically impossible since Ontario high school courses are designed to be 110 hours in length. I don't know how private schools work, but there were a number of articles on it. The last digit for a course taken in private school is P (so private school English in grade 12 would be ENG4UP), and any course code with that letter at the end raises red flags.

So what makes universities think it's 'cheating'? In the past, universities did not get to look at the last letter in a course code. So English would just be ENG4U. But now that they do, they took note that students who earned their grades in private school were incapable and had to be kicked out due to lack of knowledge, aptitude and study habits. This is why the letter 'P' in the 6th digit is a red flag. It does look like one after all.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

[quote=superstar2011]Oh, one more thing I need to inform you about. Private schools marks are usually a red flag for universities. Unless the private school you are attending is known to be legitimate by your university, the staff can choose to reject your mark. I explained it in another post. Make sure you know that your private school won't cheat you. I don't know exactly how some of these schools even work, but many of them are fraudulent. I'm not against private schools, but the admissions office in every university is.

@superstar2011 wrote

@Kaff wrote

@superstar2011 wrote
Funny, I have not heard of any universities that frown upon summer school. On the other hand, they do frown upon private school. Summer school grades are usually easier, but not always. It depends on how your teacher likes to teach the course, and since English is the most subjective subject (that sounded funny), it does have slightly more risk than other subjects. You may be required to read novels really quickly and be expected to know the content. I'm not completely sure. I did have a friend who did get a much higher grade in summer school English than achieved in semester school.

why do they frown upon private school? i've never heard that before

To enrol in a course in private school, you pay the school a sizeable amount of money for an easy grade. If you ask a university, they'll tell you that it's basically a cheat. I don't know if private schools are THIS extreme, but in a Maclean's article I once read, some student did a grade 12 English course over a weekend and had a grade in the 90's. This is theoretically impossible since Ontario high school courses are designed to be 110 hours in length. I don't know how private schools work, but there were a number of articles on it. The last digit for a course taken in private school is P (so private school English in grade 12 would be ENG4UP), and any course code with that letter at the end raises red flags.

So what makes universities think it's 'cheating'? In the past, universities did not get to look at the last letter in a course code. So English would just be ENG4U. But now that they do, they took note that students who earned their grades in private school were incapable and had to be kicked out due to lack of knowledge, aptitude and study habits. This is why the letter 'P' in the 6th digit is a red flag. It does look like one after all.

/quote]
thank you so much that really helps. i didnt know the admissions office are against it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not all of them are, but there are several programs that do frown on it. That's why it's important to read the conditions first. On the Waterloo web page, they did say they would accept private school marks under certain conditions, maybe with adjustments.

Anyways, good luck with your mark in English. Hopefully you will find it more enjoyable later.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius
Just check that the private school is ministry approved .

I would say drop it and take it in private school. Major universities do not look down at private school marks to the best of my knowledge except for Waterloo .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
I just want to throw it out there that, it is very well possible to achieve a 90 in summer school english if you work hard enough.
After failing my midterm, I dropped to a low 70. At the end I ended up with a 90; just goes to show how much hard work really affects your marks. Are you up to the challenge?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Respects wrote
This is the way I see it. Unless you want to go into Schulich or Ivey or specialized programs such as those offered at Waterloo that require a low 90-mid 90 average, why are you paying for marks? Summer school is supposed to be easier than day school anyways. Stay and finish the course. Half the kids at my school took private school courses in english and math just to go to universities like UOIT and Ryerson...

The OP is worried about not getting the wanted mark in summer school. If summer school doesn't work out, the OP plans to resort to private school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0