yconic - summer school mark upgrades
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

summer school mark upgrades

A photo of business99 business99
hey,
Does anyone know if universities can see if you did a mark upgrade in summer school, and does it matter to them when they are accepting students? A friend of mine told me that I will be wasting my time if I go to summer school because universities think you are behind in the school year meaning I'm "not smart enough" even if I achieve 90% in the upgrade they still look back on my original school year mark which is 79%. please help
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Doop Doop
Universities get to see how you completed the course (Day school, night, virtual, or summer), and how many other attempts you had.

As for universities caring or not, it all depends on the university and course. Some take retakes, some only take the first attempt. You should research into it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of business99 business99
Thank you Doop for the help. how and where do I research, do I need to call? or is there any special way?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen
Normally universities just state it on their website for their rules on summer/repeated courses. I know Waterloo cares, and they take off 1% off your average if you have a repeated course (in your top 6, I believe). Other schools don't care at all. Just search around on the websites of the universities you're interested in, and if you can't find out, ask on a forum (like this one) or call their admissions offices.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Cahreesti Cahreesti

@Doop wrote
Universities get to see how you completed the course (Day school, night, virtual, or summer), and how many other attempts you had.

As for universities caring or not, it all depends on the university and course. Some take retakes, some only take the first attempt. You should research into it.

Universities don't know if you did it in summer school because it is the same course code. They do know if you paid for it, i.e. private institutions though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doop Doop

@Cahreesti wrote

@Doop wrote

Universities don't know if you did it in summer school because it is the same course code. They do know if you paid for it, i.e. private institutions though.

Private schools also offer the same course and the same course code, otherwise it won't be used.

And universities do know, on your OUAC profile you can see your course and it specifically says "Method of Delivery" followed by summer school, day school, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0