yconic - Summer school physics 11?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Summer school physics 11?

A photo of CoralVenus CoralVenus
I will take physics 11 in summer school, do you think summer school physics is easier or harder than the regular one, or they are pretty much the same? Can someone that had taken physics 11 in summer school give me some tips?
Thanks a lot! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I didn't take phys 11 in summer school, but I did take phys 12.
Honestly, the workload is a LOT more.
Because there are so many chapters to cover, you're going to have tests every other day.
I found it quite difficult because I didnt do that well in phys 11, so I ended up retaking phys 12 this year. But I'm actually so glad I took it in summer school.
Now, everything just makes so much more sense and I find it so much easier, to the point where I don't even study for tests sometimes cuz I did so much practice over the summer.
I have a friend who took phys 11 over the summer a few years ago and he ended up with a 95.. so if you're a very quick learner.. it's definitely a good choice to take it! Even if you arent, still a good idea to take itt for preview purposes, if you're in grade 10.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peterjs peterjs
Phys 11 is fairly easy if your good at understanding applications and using formula's. It would be more work but not much harder to take in summer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gabid6 gabid6
I took Physics 11 online during the summer. When all my friends took Physics that year during school, they covered a lot of things I never did. So obviously the material is dumbed down a little bit over the summer, however the fact that it's so condensed is challenging. You have to be ready to work hard, and realize that your mark probably won't be as high as if you took it during the school year.

The one thing I regret about online Physics, is that now, in my Grade 12 year, I'm applying for Sciences. I'll be going into first year and must take Physics, which I haven't covered since the summer of 2009. It's going to be a challenge, because I've forgotten almost everything.

If you're planning on taking Physics 12, I say go for it! It's nice to have room in your time table for another course :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of marygao marygao
I took it over the summer. I thought that although it was difficult, it seemed not as seeing how my peers were complaining during the school. Just like any other summer school course, you have to study and work everyday. There was no time to "not get it".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you guys!:cheers:
I am not really worried about the workload. I actually took math10 in grade 9 summer, so I have an idea of what summer school is like. What I am worried about is what gabid6 said - some stuff might not be covered in summer school. I kinda wanna take physics12, but I am afraid that summer school physics 11 will put me in disadvantage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It shouldn't put you in any disadvantage.
Summer school might not cover all topics in DETAIL, but they will definitely cover all the topics.
Even if they don't, you won't be at a disadvantage.
A LOT of the same concepts are covered again in Physics 12, but with more dimensions/details, but a lot of topics in physics 11, such as light/mirrors, special relativity.. it isn't in Physics 12 so you would be okay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
It shouldn't put you in any disadvantage.
Summer school might not cover all topics in DETAIL, but they will definitely cover all the topics.
Even if they don't, you won't be at a disadvantage.
A LOT of the same concepts are covered again in Physics 12, but with more dimensions/details, but a lot of topics in physics 11, such as light/mirrors, special relativity.. it isn't in Physics 12 so you would be okay.

Thank you! :cheese:
yeah, thats basically what I thought too. But I went to see my counselor, and shes like, you dont really do any labs in summer school, and its not gonna prepare you well into physics 12... gosh i am actually scared.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Physics isn't really a lab intensive course, not high school physics anyways.
Chemistry 11 would be a bad course to take over the summer, because it is so heavily based on labs.
The labs I did in physics 11 weren't really even labs, just playing with a bunch of science-y toys.
None of them were even relevant to anything I learnt in Physics 12, so you shouldn't worry about that.
I actually didn't have a single lab in physics 12 either.. I mean, what labs can you really do.. except maybe play with some lightbulbs.. voltmeters.. ammeters.. nothing you learn about in Physics 11 anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
Physics isn't really a lab intensive course, not high school physics anyways.
Chemistry 11 would be a bad course to take over the summer, because it is so heavily based on labs.
The labs I did in physics 11 weren't really even labs, just playing with a bunch of science-y toys.
None of them were even relevant to anything I learnt in Physics 12, so you shouldn't worry about that.
I actually didn't have a single lab in physics 12 either.. I mean, what labs can you really do.. except maybe play with some lightbulbs.. voltmeters.. ammeters.. nothing you learn about in Physics 11 anyways.

Ok I see =) just wondering, are you from Ontario? cause if you are from other provinces, the curriculum might be different.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of efdalida efdalida
i would have to say its gonna be easier because your just going through the course all over again, but this time your in it to do better. (unless you didnt take course yet lol)
and for me physics 20 wasnt that bad, it was 30 that killed me haha.
anyways. i hope that helps (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of michaelplease michaelplease
Physics 11 is pretty easy; if you are doing well in Math then you will probably do well in physics too. I am from BC.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of aimango aimango
if you are going to be taking phys 12 as well, yes it will put you at a disadvantage i'd say. it really depends on if you can grasp the concepts easily or not, because the motion + forces units in gr 11 is very important for the gr 12 course.

from what i remember though, HS physics was 70% work periods. youre given a lot of time to just do hmk and understand stuff by yourself. of course you wouldnt get that time if taking it in summer school. all up to you : )
Was this helpful? Yes 0