yconic - Summer School Stress - Let's Console Each Other
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Summer School Stress - Let's Console Each Other

A photo of coldplay coldplay
Yeup, summer school. Let's shed our tears together. Let me tell you my story. I had my first day of summer school today, and the teacher is brutal. He told us that if we thought this course was easy, we should drop out. He seems like a really hard marker, and I even searched him on ratemyteachers.com, and they all say he's strict. :( And all this work I already have to do is driving me nuts, this stress is really getting to me. And on top of that, I feel really sad, cause I'm all alone in my class. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0
32 replies

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
My first day of grade 12 english (university) in summer school was 3 days ago, and so far the class has been a joke. We hardly do any work at all. It's pretty chill.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
I'm taking grade 11 university math(Because I took mixed math in grade school) And so far it is so boring, I already know how to do most things in the class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Fma Fma
Having Data Management with an awesome teacher
Many of topics are interesting...
except permutations & combinations
(I think this math course is the hardest!)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@Fma wrote

I would say it's noticeably easier than Calculus and Vectors, but some do say otherwise. Yes, permutations and combinations do have some difficult organized counting problems (like, how many ways are there to arrange 10 red balls and 9 orange balls, so that there are exactly two pairs of the same colour sitting side by side?) or anything involving twins running for positions in student council. Nevertheless, I still found them easier than some of the optimization problems I faced in Calculus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fma Fma

@superstar2011 wrote

@Fma wrote

I would say it's noticeably easier than Calculus and Vectors, but some do say otherwise. Yes, permutations and combinations do have some difficult organized counting problems (like, how many ways are there to arrange 10 red balls and 9 orange balls, so that there are exactly two pairs of the same colour sitting side by side?) or anything involving twins running for positions in student council. Nevertheless, I still found them easier than some of the optimization problems I faced in Calculus.

Wow this is surprising because i find calculus is easier than data.
actually i liked the optimization part best since it is all about creating functions and then find the critical point(s).
(moreover, my easy calc teacher was easy)

anyway...for the first question, is the answer 30 ways?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Fma wrote

@superstar2011 wrote

@Fma wrote

Wow this is surprising because i find calculus is easier than data.
actually i liked the optimization part best since it is all about creating functions and then find the critical point(s).
(moreover, my easy calc teacher was easy)

anyway...for the first question, is the answer 30 ways?

You're lucky you got an easy teacher for calculus... it's not supposed to be an easy course, according to all the teachers in my school's mathematics department. A lot of the optimization questions I faced were a lot more analysis than actually creating the functions and differentiating them.

As for the ball question, I got 72 ways. God knows there could be more. 72 = 2(8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1)
Suppose you start with a pair of red balls on the left end, and a pair of orange balls as near as you can to the right end.
(RR)OROROROROROROR(OO)R
What I would do next is swap the 3rd and 4th last balls from the right.
(RR)OROROROROROR(OO)ROR
Continue, until you have (RR)(OO)ROROROROROROROR. That's 8 cases.
And then, start again with the pair of red balls swapped.
RO(RR)OROROROROROR(OO)R
and do the same thing.
RO(RR)OROROROROR(OO)ROR...
to RO(RR)(OO)ROROROROROROR
and this makes 7 ways.
And then...
RORO(RR)OROROROROR(OO)R... and so on. So with red pair on the left side and orange pair on the right, I got 36 ways. And remember that you can also flip it to have the orange pair on the left and red pair on the right.
Like this: R(OO)RORORORORORORO(RR), and continue. Not even my teachers were able to do this easily.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kaff Kaff
For anyone taking Summer School English in the future: take online if it's offered. Barely do anything and so far on my progress report is a 4 c;
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
Workload is crazy for English, I actually get tired everyday after-school. Our midterm exam is 4 days into the course... :|
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Rela wrote
Workload is crazy for English, I actually get tired everyday after-school. Our midterm exam is 4 days into the course... :|

There's a midterm exam, and that soon? Whoa, that IS insane!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout
coldplay, same as me. my teacher is a really really hard marker.
the thing with summer school too is that every little mark counts a lotttt.
since it's such a short course, everything you do counts. so there's no "redemption"
and to those who say summer school is easy -_-

exam is on friday.
the first and only test i did, i got an 85, oral presentation probably really low. i NEVER get marks like that for english; not to mention my teacher marks unfairly.

i hate summer school, more than anything.
it's not gonna help me for university, but i don't want to drop until i'm sure that my mark won't raise up to a 90 by the end of the course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
Dropped the course first thing this morning, I went from a 98 in grade 11 English to a 74 and I was the highest mark in the class. Our class average was.......wait for it...... 57! I don't regret dropping it at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Rela wrote
Dropped the course first thing this morning, I went from a 98 in grade 11 English to a 74 and I was the highest mark in the class. Our class average was.......wait for it...... 57! I don't regret dropping it at all.

Good for you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of harmony harmony
I'm Taking Gr.12 English. So far so good. My teacher's pretty chill and there wasn't much assignment being assigned so far yet. We have like no exams or quezzes. He told us we only have to do 2 essays and read to novels and all the rest will be like film study, some literature study etc. And yes, we don't read Shakespeare..SHOCKING..
In a way my teacher is kinda lazy..I mean we only handed in 3 assignment and he just finished marking all the them..O_O 3 markings in 2 weeks..Holly..
He said we the last 2 weeks are gonna be more stressful b/c we didn't do any essays yet and we still have like 1.75 novels we gonna finish reading + everything else..GOD..I'm scared..LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
I'm currently taking SPH3U as a reach ahead course. The school temperture is rediculously high. The course is fairly easy as is the teacher. He gives marks for effort, despite getting an answer wrong, unlike some of the teachers at my school.

I had two hours of sleep before my Kinematics test. I failed to rearrange a simple equation. I did not substitute time in one of my equations. But somehow, somehow I managed to pull an 88% (estimation of the level system).

He gives easy marks for labs reports too. We have done a total of fours so far.

Oh, there are a lot of snobs from the IB program in my class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of erudite erudite
I got 60s in advanced functions at day school so im retaking it and im just aiming for a 70 just to get the cut off and i was getting a nice 75% BUT NO. I JUST FAILED REALLY BADLY ON MY LATEST TEST...like a 20% aiii.....i'm gonna drop it. half the people failed....but the other half got 80s....this is so depressing...i want to go into business but now i feel like a dumbass and that i'm not gonna survive university...but it was a trig test so i don't know.....:/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan

@aquarius wrote
summer school exam done..............marks tomorrow!!!!Can't believe it's over. Any regrets anyone?

Our exam is next wednesday,currently have an 85 so no regrets at all, though I'm sure it will drop 2-3% from exam but I can live with that
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I dropped. Teacher was being so unfair, I honestly lost any respect I had for her. My midterm was a 92, which was the same as the class average (crazy I know). I was sure that my mark should've been higher, because all my assignments had been 97+, so I asked her. She said she went home to check, and the next day she was angry about how everyone was asking her about marks, and told us that she didn't make any mistakes. Complete BS, after she decided to drop the entire class by giving everyone 70s on seminars, my mark went up to a 93. Lol? Anyways, then came the king lear essay... and here she told everyone that she would not be giving out any 90s unless the work was incredibly original and creative, and that the average of the marked essays so far was 60. I dropped right here. I feel like I was confident in getting that 90 on the essay, but she was so unpredictable and biased that there was no point in staying. Two of my friends handed in a group project (one copy each) with the exact same content and writing, and there was a mark difference of 15%. Anyways, I'm going to have 2 spares in day school either way, so whatever.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ForeverPi ForeverPi
Congratulations to those who completed summer school :)!
Go enjoy the rest of your summer!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of erudite erudite

@aquarius wrote

@KingKhan wrote

@aquarius wrote
summer school exam done..............marks tomorrow!!!!Can't believe it's over. Any regrets anyone?

Our exam is next wednesday,currently have an 85 so no regrets at all, though I'm sure it will drop 2-3% from exam but I can live with that

Finished from 95 midterm to 97 as my final mark in Advanced Functions......glad I took it though I was second guessing a lot very early on; A lot of people in the forum advised me not to take it and am very glad that I went with my gut feeling.

Moving to English now.............

Which school did you go to for advanced functions? My class average for summer school is 70% and the highest was like a 91% i think.
Was this helpful? Yes 0