yconic - Switching Cell Phones
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Switching Cell Phones

A photo of Jesseyeahh Jesseyeahh
Hey, I'm using a simple pay-as-you-go/minutes type of phone and plan, and I love it. It works well for me because I'm not in a position where I need to be on the phone all the time and rack up minutes. However, I'm moving way west for uni (Sudbury, Ontario -> Victoria, BC) and I'm going to need to get a new phone and most likely a plan for it, but I want to get this process out of the way before the move. Is this possible? I need to find a solid provider for unlimited texting and long-distance calls (does that exist?) for as little money as possible. What should I expect to be paying monthly? How do I set this up from Sudbury, but still have it in effect in Vic? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I don't know if you can set it up all the way from Ontario since they need an address and everything.
I think, of all the cell phone carriers, Fido has the best plans.
I'm not too sure about the new ones like Wind or Mobilicity though, but I did hear from my best friend that Wind has horrible reception, since she signed a contract with Wind but couldn't get reception at school.
All of Fido's plans come with unlimited texting, except for the $15 one..
the next one.. $25 does, and also.. 100 local anytime minutes.. unlimited weekends and evenings after 7 PM.. My sister has that plan and loves it.
I'm sure you can add another 10 bucks or so and get some long distance minutes.
You're probably looking at paying around ~$40 - 45 after taxes and what not
which is pretty good.. my plan now is $17.. but I still have all those stupid system access fees and what not, so I pay around 30 something.. Ridiculous...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I might be facing a similar predicament in the fall (except I'll be going BC -> Ontario). I'm sure we're not the first though.

I'm with Virgin right now and I pay about $40/month for unlimited texting across Canada and 100 local minutes (free from 7 pm - 7 am). As Cynthia said, most providers probably have a fairly cheap add-on fee for long-distance minutes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
I was with Fido for two years on that $25.00 plan Cynthia mentioned. It was fine.

Right now, I'm with a sub-company of Rogers that my father gets a good deal on because he's a gold member of some credit card company.

$35.00/month for unlimited data, 200 monthly minutes (free evenings and weekends after 8pm), 1000 text messages per month, caller ID, voice-mail, and call-waiting. I have a smartphone and it's the greatest thing ever.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan

@Zion wrote
I might be facing a similar predicament in the fall (except I'll be going BC -> Ontario).

:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
I'm currently on pay-as-you-go but thinking of switching to something else... I spend max $25 a month so that's the max I'd be willing to spend on a plan. That $25 Fido one sounds ok... any other suggestions? Unlimited texting would be good, and a certain amount of minutes but doesn't have to be huge. Also, any phone suggestions? (the cheaper the better but not completely crappy like my current phone, lol)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
iPhone?
I wouldn't get one myself, but I know a lot of people have one.
But with an iPhone, you have to get a data plan, which would be a lot more than $25.
Blackberry? Think you need a data plan too, but I think they may have a cheaper deal for students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tigerwoods tigerwoods

@prmly wrote
I was with Fido for two years on that $25.00 plan Cynthia mentioned. It was fine.

Right now, I'm with a sub-company of Rogers that my father gets a good deal on because he's a gold member of some credit card company.

$35.00/month for unlimited data, 200 monthly minutes (free evenings and weekends after 8pm), 1000 text messages per month, caller ID, voice-mail, and call-waiting. I have a smartphone and it's the greatest thing ever.

That's a GREAT plan! Can you adopt me? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
cyynthia: I don't want a data plan, and probably don't need an iphone/blackberry, or the price tag that goes with them. thanks though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Blackberry for Rogers has a new plan out that's Pay As You Go, starts at $30 and goes up to $55.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JessaBrown JessaBrown
I have the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate. It's practically the Samsung version of an iPhone and WAY cheaper! Well... minus face time. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0