yconic - Switching Universities in second year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Switching Universities in second year?

A photo of Raniel312 Raniel312
Im planning on going to Ryerson Civil Engineering next year, but I want to transfer second year to either U of T, Waterloo, Western, or Queens.

Is this very hard to accomplish? Whats the chances of me beings able to do this? Im going to be aiming for the top tier of my class, and I do have an advantage that Im in the IB program and I learned a lot of things ahead of the people I will be with next year. (especially Chemistry, English, And math)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of deeB deeB
IT IS EXTRELEMELY DIFFICULT AND I ADVISE YOU NOT TO DO IT! Im transfering from university of ottawa after first year chemical engineering and i applied to u of t and ryerson and it is extremely difficult. I got alternate offer to life sci from u of t and waitlisted at ryerson.

After you do one year of uni, your average in high school does not matter that much. They compare your university marks to those of the incoming high school students. And preferecne is given to high school applicants because of limited spots. SO basically in uni everyone's marks drop in general so theyd be comparing your B's and C's against high schooler's 80's and 90's so in tht case unless you have A's and B+'s in university it is difficult but not impossible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dynamics Dynamics
I agree that its hard, some guy from UofT Eng made Dean's, tried to switch to Waterloo, rejected. I don't think you'd be competing against HS people in second year though =).

It never hurts to try, they do put up the option for a reason.

And don't get too cocky with IB lol. I was only taking university-level courses in HS (basically academic) and I beat IB people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@deeB wrote
IT IS EXTRELEMELY DIFFICULT AND I ADVISE YOU NOT TO DO IT! Im transfering from university of ottawa after first year chemical engineering and i applied to u of t and ryerson and it is extremely difficult. I got alternate offer to life sci from u of t and waitlisted at ryerson.

After you do one year of uni, your average in high school does not matter that much. They compare your university marks to those of the incoming high school students. And preferecne is given to high school applicants because of limited spots. SO basically in uni everyone's marks drop in general so theyd be comparing your B's and C's against high schooler's 80's and 90's so in tht case unless you have A's and B+'s in university it is difficult but not impossible.

So what are the marks you would need in first year Ryerson to transfer to U of T? Im taking Civil Engineering btw.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Dynamics wrote
I agree that its hard, some guy from UofT Eng made Dean's, tried to switch to Waterloo, rejected. I don't think you'd be competing against HS people in second year though =).

It never hurts to try, they do put up the option for a reason.

And don't get too cocky with IB lol. I was only taking university-level courses in HS (basically academic) and I beat IB people.

So are my chances very slim? Considering U of T has a lower cut off than waterloo, and many ppl drop u of t after first year? and wud i wudnt be competing with HS people or others like me trying to switch programs?

and aha trust me im not getting cocky with ib, i just think i have a slight advantage over some of the people. If anything i regret doing it, because I missed the cut offs by a few percents that i could of gotten in academic, while the people who dropped because they found it hard are easily making waterloo and u of t. im talking about the same ppl who wud copy of my math tests lol

And btw, if the switch from u of t to waterloo was this year, i cud see why, admissions at loo was 20% higher this year and even ppl with 90s didnt make it =S

Thanks for your help btw
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deeB deeB

@Raniel312 wrote

@deeB wrote

So what are the marks you would need in first year Ryerson to transfer to U of T? Im taking Civil Engineering btw.

You need MINIMUM B+'s in physics, chemistry and calculus but since its a direct engineering program and ur transferring into another engineering program they would look at all your courses and your entire average as a whole and the minimum is a B+ and let me tell ya first year engineering is no walk in the park. Definetely not impossible im still hoping for a spot at ryerson but your credits wont entirely transfer over so youll have to do part of first year all over again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@deeB wrote

@Raniel312 wrote

@deeB wrote

You need MINIMUM B+'s in physics, chemistry and calculus but since its a direct engineering program and ur transferring into another engineering program they would look at all your courses and your entire average as a whole and the minimum is a B+ and let me tell ya first year engineering is no walk in the park. Definetely not impossible im still hoping for a spot at ryerson but your credits wont entirely transfer over so youll have to do part of first year all over again.

Out of curiosity which program do you want to transfer to Ryerson? and why? Also if your knowledgable about Civil Engineering, how good is the civil engineering program at Ryerson?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0