yconic - Taking a year off
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Taking a year off

A photo of snowman snowman
Something unexpected has come up and my family and I are seriously considering taking a year off before I start my undergrad. I haven't applied for OSAP, bursaries, or res yet, so how would I go about informing the uni of my decision? And what will they make of it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
Just email the relevant depts and the uni, admissions etc and explain. I am taking a year off voluntarily before I start and at open days I asked about it and they just said an email confirmation is fine. The only conditions they stipulated were don't enrol in any full time education elsewhere during your year off; which I assume won't apply to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
This is called defering your offer.

Basically saying you still want to go there and everything just not this second. Your file is basically put on hold until the date that you've chosen. Usually a semester up to one year.

Your school's registrar office should be able to give you the forms to fill out, I've heard it's quite easy to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
Call the registrar's office as soon as you can. Some schools/programs will let you defer your offer for a year, others won't. If your school allows it, this should be relatively simple. If not, you will probably have to apply again next year. However, if you let them know about your situation early they may be more understanding.
Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PJ PJ

@kyleigh711 wrote
Call the registrar's office as soon as you can. Some schools/programs will let you defer your offer for a year, others won't. If your school allows it, this should be relatively simple. If not, you will probably have to apply again next year. However, if you let them know about your situation early they may be more understanding.
Good luck :)

Most universities require to request a deferral in writing by a certain date. If you are granted a deferral then you will have certain conditions you need to follow to honour the deferral. For example, most will not let you attend any secondary or post-secondary educational institution during the period you have been granted the deferral. Some will require you to activate your deferred offer via an OUAC application next year, others will do it internally through the university. Some will defer the entire offer package including residence and scholarships, others will not. The bottom line is contact them directly and ask the right questions so you are clear on your options and the process.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter
Just a quick note, even though you aren't attending a college/university this September, still look to and apply for bursaries/scholarships.. you won't be eligble for as many scholarships next summer because you aren't considered a 2012 high school graduate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0