yconic - Taking Notes In Lectures
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Taking Notes In Lectures

A photo of Smothy88 Smothy88
This is my first year and I've already tried nearly every method - laptop, pen and paper, sit and listen, yet I still don't know what works best. Pretty much all my profs use a powerpoint/overhead and post it online so students always have access to it (although some will add additional details to the overhead/powerpoint while in the lecture and not post this online).

Can anyone recommend a good habit for note taking. Like I said I tried nearly everything but still don't know what works best.

So far I've considered:
pen and paper
laptop - microsoft word
laptop - download the powerpoint to my laptop then add notes at the bottom (microsoft powerpoint)
print off the slides and write on them during lecture (this actually seemed like the best method but killed my printer ink)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
It's a really, really personal thing. Some people learn best when taking no notes at all. Others can only do pen and paper. I would personally print off the slides and write on them. It shouldn't kill your printer that badly, print 4 per page or so.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DanielaCheca DanielaCheca
Personally, I am very organized with my notes and take great responsibility while taking notes in class. I am a visionary and auditory student. With the help of writing notes down, im am able to remember more and further understand concepts. For example, when studying for test or exams I like to re-write various important sections of my notes. I would definetly say this is a skill that really helps to be organized and focused in class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@DanielaCheca wrote
I am a visionary

That made me laugh a little bit
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Smothy88 wrote
This is my first year and I've already tried nearly every method - laptop, pen and paper, sit and listen, yet I still don't know what works best. Pretty much all my profs use a powerpoint/overhead and post it online so students always have access to it (although some will add additional details to the overhead/powerpoint while in the lecture and not post this online).

Can anyone recommend a good habit for note taking. Like I said I tried nearly everything but still don't know what works best.

So far I've considered:
pen and paper
laptop - microsoft word
laptop - download the powerpoint to my laptop then add notes at the bottom (microsoft powerpoint)
print off the slides and write on them during lecture (this actually seemed like the best method but killed my printer ink)

pen and paper works great for me. But we all have different ways of understanding material. Seek for what fits you best and pick a method that is efficient and not as time consumming for you. Important if you are planning on taking notes with just pen and paper: make sure you have different colour pens, highlighters, and sticky notes! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

@DanielaCheca wrote
I am a visionary

That made me laugh a little bit

lol woops :S i meant to say visual *** aha but i am a visionary as well if that makes sense :P aha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Use OneNote. I did for every year in university and it's perfect. That's the precise purpose of that program, and it comes with any Microsoft Student Bundle.
Was this helpful? Yes 0