yconic - Taking questions regarding UofT engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Taking questions regarding UofT engineering

A photo of inyoface inyoface
Hello soon-to-be-frosh!

I an electrical engineering undergrad at UofT. I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you might have about the engineering programs at UofT, as well as associated topics such as co-op opportunities and research opportunities. If you have questions about the city of Toronto I can try to answer those as well.

If you have questions about engineering in general, feel free to ask those too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey im going into indy next year...I read that you can do an business engineering minor? How hard would it be to balance the normal engineering course load with a minor?...And how much does GPA matter to land a job in PEY or after uni? I work hard but compared to some of the people in my classes im not at there level so i cant imagine what it'll be like in uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@pj2121 wrote
Hey im going into indy next year...I read that you can do an business engineering minor? How hard would it be to balance the normal engineering course load with a minor?...And how much does GPA matter to land a job in PEY or after uni? I work hard but compared to some of the people in my classes im not at there level so i cant imagine what it'll be like in uni.

Yes. The business minor is a new minor that begun this year. I'm not 100% clear on the particulars of a business minor. As with any minor, you are required to take extra courses on top of your curriculum to accomplish the minor. That said, the curriculum for Industrial Engineering is fairly flexible. Considering the overlap of concepts in Industrial engineering and Business minor, it would not be difficult to balance the two in terms of course load. This is of course relative to course loads within engineering and not course loads within, say, psychology.

In terms of GPA's effect on jobs, I would say that GPA is very important for PEY. Generally, the better your GPA, the higher the chance you will land a job interview. Now, whether you succeed in the interview is another story. Extracurriculars and other experiences (read: projects, past job experiences, research, references) factor in as well. Personally I would say how you conduct yourself within the interview would be the most important aspect. Nevertheless, the GPA and past experiences is more or less what gets you the interview in the first place.

I can't say much about how well I think you will do in engineering because I don't know you personally.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@inyoface wrote
Hello soon-to-be-frosh!

I an electrical engineering undergrad at UofT. I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you might have about the engineering programs at UofT, as well as associated topics such as co-op opportunities and research opportunities. If you have questions about the city of Toronto I can try to answer those as well.

If you have questions about engineering in general, feel free to ask those too.

what year are you in? I'm in U of T ece too. Moving on to 3rd.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smandair smandair
Do you find it really competitive and as difficult as people say? Or are the engineers more of a team?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@smandair wrote
Do you find it really competitive and as difficult as people say? Or are the engineers more of a team?

Hi smandair,

I will start off by assuming that by competitive you mean "less cooperative", as opposed to "academically rigorous". Personally I believe that engineering students are more cooperative than those in law or business/commerce, but we are probably less cooperative than those in general arts.

If there is no need for high rankings, a program is not at all "competitive". I think as you see a greater need to be the top, say, 10% of the class, the atmosphere within the program becomes a lot more stressful and competitive. I think within engineering, the general consensus is to be "better than average", hence the program is not extremely stressful for most. Of course, there are always students who are competitive by nature (eg. aiming for top 5%), for whom the program may be a stressful experience.

That said, I have experienced being a part of both great teams and not so great teams. The level of stress that you experience largely depend on how well you want to do relative to the rest of your peers. Mind you, engineers are more or less confined to working in teams in actual industry practice, so those of us who cannot function well within a group setting will be largely "weeded out", if you will.

Personally, I would like to see a greater dedication to teamwork within the program, but I would say the atmosphere is decent compared to some of the other prominent programs, and that it could definitely be a lot worse.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you have a good time in ECE297? I sure did (the code, not the stupid documents). Best mark this term.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of tictac166 tictac166
i heard that uoft eng calculates the average with only your top 5 marks. Is that true because aren't all programs suppose to calculate the top 6 marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tictac166 wrote
i heard that uoft eng calculates the average with only your top 5 marks. Is that true because aren't all programs suppose to calculate the top 6 marks?

I believe that this is true, however on a question like this the safer bet is to ask an official source within the university. Note, however, that most programs within engineering (barring engineering science) confine you to taking 5 courses. Therefore, unless you take more courses than you are supposed to (this is possible, albeit highly discouraged), the matter of 6 courses never factor in anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of queens queens
Inyoface,

Do you have any friends study in the Math, Stat and Finance stream of EngSci? How does the program compared with a regular Finance/Economics major program? Any special edges in PEY and future job prospect as compared to graduates to these main stream Finance/Economics (regular programs) ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@queens wrote
Inyoface,

Do you have any friends study in the Math, Stat and Finance stream of EngSci? How does the program compared with a regular Finance/Economics major program? Any special edges in PEY and future job prospect as compared to graduates to these main stream Finance/Economics (regular programs) ?

I might, but the program is relatively new and I haven't really asked around for it much. The program is much more difficult than a finance/economics major because you have to go through an engineering background. However some employers do look upon this fact (that you have an engineering background) favourably. Though I would say going through engineering just so you can do finance is kind of an overkill, as you would learn many, many subjects that would be completely irrelevant to your work. But nonetheless people do do this program, which is why there is a program in the first place. And of course I can't really comment on career opportunities for a economics major.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ILovePeach ILovePeach
Does U of T engineering admission care about EC? If they do, is it true that they only look at it in border cases where applicant's average is around 90?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ILovePeach wrote
Does U of T engineering admission care about EC? If they do, is it true that they only look at it in border cases where applicant's average is around 90?

They do, especially in border cases. Extracurriculars factor into a regular case as well, but not as much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0