yconic - Team Captain
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Team Captain

A photo of jaymeshaughnessy jaymeshaughnessy
For everyone who is involved in a high school sport team.
And particularly those who were team captains, what was the process like in order to get to this position.

I know that its usually the person who is committed and leaders on the team, usually grade 11 or 12, has high expertise and skill level in their sport etc.

But, did the coach talk to you about giving you the position at the beginning of the season?

or did you approach the coach about being team captain, and asked him to consider you..

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
I was captain of rugby this year, and my coaches asked me if I wanted to do it. I've never really heard of anyone asking the coach to choose them.

I know that the volleyball teams at my school have the players elect their captain, which is kind of unique I think.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
It's usually coach selected or player selected via voting. Most school teams are coach selected. My club team captain is chosen by voting, but it's usually difficult to get someone to do it because it involves a lot of admin stuff too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
coach selects the captain

during practices try assuming leadership roles...lead stretches...talk to your teammates (i.e. encourage them)...also high knowledge of the game...sportsmanship...experience
Was this helpful? Yes 0