yconic - Telfer uOttawa Commerce - What does it have to offer?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Telfer uOttawa Commerce - What does it have to offer?

A photo of PeoplesChamp PeoplesChamp
Decided to start a forum thread about this because there doesn't seem to be much information on this program and what it has to offer. If anyone could please shed some light on this program that would be much appreciated. Please don't post comments which just bash the school, and how bad it is compared to other top tier schools, please post comments about possibly your experience, what you've heard, and stuff like that.

Look forward to reading what people have to say about this program, Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Old forum quote time:

@Peter 90 wrote
I am currently considering commerce at the Telfer School of Management at the University of Ottawa and for some reason on this forum it seems to get no praise at all. I have no idea why this is.

Here is a list of all the good things that I found out about the school:

- A 97% placement rate
- Triple crown business accreditation (which says something irregardless of whether or not other big schools have it)
- Alumni network of over 20,000
- An average starting salary of nearly $50 000 (stacks up with most good schools)
- Even though the program is not ICAO accredited you can still meet the 51 credit hour requirement within your degree if you structure your time table properly
- HRPAO accredited
- Pretty decent alumni here are some of the bigger names:
Peter Bowie (MBA 1976) Chief Executive Officer, Deloitte China,
Paul Desmarais Sr. (B.Com 1950) Chairman of the Executive Committee, Power Corporation of Canada
Norm Lo, Vice President of the Asia-Pacific, Research In Motion
Paul Wagner, Chief Technology Officer, Justice Canada
Jean Desgagne (B.Com 1986), Senior Vice President, Trading Risk Services, TD Bank Financial Group
Christine Allison (B.com 1982), Assistant Vice-President, Finance, MD Management
Dominique De Celles (BCom 1983) Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, L’Oréal Canada
Gaétan Caron (MBA 1987) Vice-Chairman, The National Energy Board
Mark R. Bruneau (B.com 1982) Executive Vice-President and Chief Strategy Officer, Bell Canada Enterprises
Louise Tardif (B.Com 1986) VP, Investment Advisor, National Bank of Canada
Ian Telfer (MBA 1976), President and CEO, Goldcorp Inc.
Robert Ashe (BCom 1982) President and CEO, Cognos
- Ottawa is a pretty laid back town with quite a bit to see/do
- They usually have atleast 500 companies participant in their Career Center Networking events
- If your anglophone and are interested in learning how to speak french OttawaU offers a certificate in french as a second language (you don't have to make french part of your degree in order to obtain a credential that says your bilingual)
- Commerce students get pretty legit coop placements (your accounting coop placements count towards your CA designation)
- Lots of opportunities for government employment (good salary, pension etc.)
- One of the better information technology bcom programs
- Telfer has a much better international reputation than many other business schools in Southern Ontario (ie. Laurier, Degroote, Brock, Ryerson etc.)
- The Desmarais building is really nice (way better than the Bronfman building at McGill or the SBE building at Laurier)
- OttawaU gives out decent entrance scholarships and Telfer has the Dean's Leadership awards (anyone with over a 92% average gets an additional $2 000 from Telfer)

I think the school has tremendous upside and doesn't get as much respect as it deserves

Not sure how old/accurate some of the numbers are, but this is probably the best pro-Telfer post you can find.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What exactly does triple crown accreditation actually prove/do for a business school? Never heard of that before.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@PeoplesChamp wrote
What exactly does triple crown accreditation actually prove/do for a business school? Never heard of that before.

Not sure, I'm thinking one is AACSB (or is it AASCB?) which I have heard of (only 5% of business schools worldwide have it) and Telfer is accredited. I don't think it means much here, most schools are accredited here, but it's either McGill or Ivey that isn't accredited which shows you how much value they have. If a school is accredited it's just a sign that they're doing something right. If they aren't, it's probably not a big deal. Long story short, just say "oh, cool" and forget about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

True, also the 97% placement rate seems a bit high and is comparable to some of the top business schools (ivey, queens, schulich) no? This info describes telfer as a underrated business school with first tier qualities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@PeoplesChamp wrote
True, also the 97% placement rate seems a bit high and is comparable to some of the top business schools (ivey, queens, schulich) no? This info describes telfer as a underrated business school with first tier qualities.

I am thinking that stat is either false or skewed. If that is post-grad data after 2 years, sure I could totally see 97%. I'm not sure if it's co-op or post-grad, but I would not believe in that number regardless. It is probably higher than most people expect, but not 97% co-op placement or 97% job rate 3 months after grad.

Telfer is far from first tier. It is one of the better lower-tier schools (depends on how you tier it) but far from Ivey/Queen's/McGill/Schulich/Sauder/Laurier/UTSC/McMaster/UTM in roughly that order.

Agian, this is THE MOST pro-Telfer post you will find. If you did the same with all of the other top schools, they would blow it away. If you made a post bashing Telfer, there would be more to find than to bash Ivey/Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of LampShade LampShade

@LampShade wrote
Hmmm I'm not here to bash UOttawa, but it all depends on your position.

Ill put it in terms of a Basketball team. And let's assume you're an all-star.

At one of the higher tier schools (like an allstar team), most students will be ''all stars'' of a different academic level and thus, will translate in the team doing ''better'' and thus getting its ''top tier'' reputation.

On the other hand, a lower tier school might not have as many ''all stars'' which might translate in the team (school) not doing as well and being considered ''low tier'' However, if you're still an ''all star'' on a lower tier team, you can still do extremely well INDIVIDUALLY even though your team is not at your level, and in some cases, it might actually make you DO exceptionally well because you will be one of the top ''players'' on your team, therefore you get priority in many situations which can ''pad'' your numbers, if you know what i mean.

Again, i'm not bashing uottawa cuz im from Ottawa and have alot of friends going there. There are alot of ''all stars'' there, but there are also alot of people who are not quite that level yet, so being in the upper tier can be very beneficial!

But overall, Uottawa isnt terrible, the COOP program is really appealing and can IMO take you further than some of the higher tier schools, if you can capitalize on it, especially if you are an ''all star'' as you get priority! Some people don't know HOW valuable REAL work experience is. It's something that you can't learn, you have to actually experience it. So a company would usually much rather have a highly educated person with highly valuable work experience than another highly educated person w/o it. That's why i still think UTSC > UTSG

But regardless, you'll be fine as long as you work hard, and all you need is a B to B+ to stay competitive for the coop positions, and an A- to be gauranteed. You will be fine and in a great position if you can get coop so no worries :)

GOOD LUCK!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ Good post, but why did you quote yourself? :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i'm nooob with this LOL...

i barely posted on the old SA, cuz most of my questions were already asnwered and i don't go on this SA much either..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@LampShade wrote
i'm nooob with this LOL...

i barely posted on the old SA, cuz most of my questions were already asnwered and i don't go on this SA much either..

This doesn't say much for Desautels students... :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

LOOOOOOOOOOOL....................

well played... well played....

But hey, we know when to TURN UP THE HEAT (in school..)!!! And our partying can go almost unmatched ;) LEGIT!

Who else has 150 bottles of wine for a 200 person wine and cheese at a conference ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0