yconic - The AFMAA- 2011
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

The AFMAA- 2011

A photo of g93 g93
Yes, the Waterloo AFMAA is coming up soon (April 2nd) for all students applying to AFM.

That being said, who's writing it? How well do you think you will do (how confident are you)? Anyone worried (I'm sure some are)? Anyone studying (I think some are)? Anyone who wrote it in previous years with any tips? Who's travelling the most to get here? Anyone writing with an individual proctor?

Any and all discussions concerning the 2011 AFMAA, post here! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
321 replies

A photo of AZK AZK
Im still deciding whether or not I should write it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simplySimple simplySimple
Isn't the deadline coming up to register?? You should decide ASAP
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
Today at 11:59 PM is deadline XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simplySimple simplySimple
Maybe you should get on that...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am, and so are at least 30 other students from my school. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Marie5 Marie5
Was gunna go write it...but...75 dollars.

No.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao
Yeah I registered even though I will probably choose all my other choice universities over Waterloo.

For those of you that are still debating^, decide quickly!! because it's due tonight at 11:59 PM. An email was sent to me as a reminder:

Dear lmao,

Last week, we informed you that you have been selected to write the Accounting and Financial Management Admissions Assignment (AFMAA) – the next important step of the School of Accounting and Finance’s admissions process at the University of Waterloo. The writing of the AFMAA is scheduled for 1:30 pm on Saturday April 2, 2011. As a well-qualified candidate for the AFM program, the AFM Admissions Committee strongly encourages you to consider taking this next step in the admission process.

Our records show that you have not completed the confirmation process, which includes confirming your intent to write the AFMAA, provide Proctor details, and paying the AFMAA fee. If you intend to write the AFMAA, you will need to confirm by 11:59 p.m. EDT, Monday, March 21. If you do not confirm, the School of Accounting and Finance will assume that you are no longer interested in the AFM program and will not consider your application further.

To complete the confirmation process:

Follow the instructions, complete and submit the online Confirmation Form (http://artsvms.uwaterloo.ca/accounting/AFMAA/Admissions.asp)
If applicable, complete and submit the Proctor Information Form
Complete the payment form and submit a fee of $75 CDN

If you have any questions, refer to the AFMAA Preparation website or contact Patty Mah – 519-888-4567, extension 37152 or afm@uwaterloo.ca.

Best regards,

The School of Accounting and Finance

University of Waterloo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
$75 can get me a new pair of shoes...our lose me a weekend at waterloo...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
From how far away are people coming?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LeafsFan16 LeafsFan16
I will be writing since it's my #1..I live in Mississauga. Don't know what to really expect but I'm confident though...just have to see how it goes and can't let the nerves get to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Wade3 Wade3
I will not be writing it because I got accepted to Schulich. I prefer Schulich rather than AFM and I don't want to waste money and time. I know I can maintain that 85% average so might as well stick with Schulich.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KevinL KevinL
AFM isn't my first choice. I got into Schulich which I ranked higher than AFM. I don't think my decision will change in the up coming months so I'm not going to Waterloo hence not writing the AFMAA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
From how far away are people coming?

Not that far.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
Didn't apply, not writing it. BUT just wondering, what's this AFMAA thing? What's being evaluated on?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://accounting.uwaterloo.ca/afm/admissions.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LWilliams LWilliams
I went to the open house at Waterloo, people kept asking the head of the BAFM program for tips and hints about the afmaa but she wouldn't really budge. Neither did the first year students when my friends and I asked them for tips.
The best answer I got was "Know yourself" hope this helps all of you. And they aren't using previous questions in case if any of you thought they would. Thats why the afmaa is being written at the same time everywhere, because all the questions are posted online within 30 minutes of them being revealed, haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Haru wrote
Didn't apply, not writing it. BUT just wondering, what's this AFMAA thing? What's being evaluated on?

It's a pure English test marked on spelling, grammar, and content.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LeafsFan16 LeafsFan16
Here's an interesting post from the Waterloo AFM thread

@TerryWang wrote
hey guys!

okay, this isn't super good information, but one of the ppl at my school went to the waterloo open house, and supposedly asked patty, and was told that there will be two questions, instead of three, on the AFMAA this year. she told this to another person, who then told me.

anybody else heard about the same thing? because this is a BIG change :S

If that's true then I don't know what to think..I mean I guess it's good cause there's less to answer but at the same time it means you're going to have to go into even more detail and the questions will probably be harder..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JoeSmith JoeSmith

@LWilliams wrote
I went to the open house at Waterloo, people kept asking the head of the BAFM program for tips and hints about the afmaa but she wouldn't really budge. Neither did the first year students when my friends and I asked them for tips.
The best answer I got was "Know yourself" hope this helps all of you. And they aren't using previous questions in case if any of you thought they would. Thats why the afmaa is being written at the same time everywhere, because all the questions are posted online within 30 minutes of them being revealed, haha.

How do you know the questions will be posted online?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missblair missblair
Yupp, I'm writing it and so are about 10 other students from my school. Format-wise, does anyone plan on doing an intro paragraph, 2-3 body paragraphs and a short conclusion one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@missblair wrote
Yupp, I'm writing it and so are about 10 other students from my school. Format-wise, does anyone plan on doing an intro paragraph, 2-3 body paragraphs and a short conclusion one?

I plan to have intro, second intro with thesis, supporting argument paragraphs and conclusion

That's what I learned how university essays are apparently supposed to be like... apparently English teachers are teaching us the wrong format...

unless it doesn't say essay format... then well written paragraphs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
I've already registered, and I'm gonna write it for sure.

Btw, a quick question... is the Math Contest Euclid or w.e. it's called mandatory? :|
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@smarty1 wrote
I've already registered, and I'm gonna write it for sure.

Btw, a quick question... is the Math Contest Euclid or w.e. it's called mandatory? :|

No, it isn't mandatory for admissions in any program.

It is mandatory for all Math Faculty Entrance Scholarships though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JoeSmith wrote

@LWilliams wrote

How do you know the questions will be posted online?

What i'm saying is that everyone writes the afmaa at the same time because if someone writes it earlier they will probably post the questions online.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
How far away are people coming from? I'm interested to see how far some people have to come and how far away you need to be to not have top come to Waterloo. What would it have to be, 3+ hours? 4?
Was this helpful? Yes 0