yconic - The CA Thread
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

The CA Thread

A photo of g93 g93
This thread is for anyone interest in becoming a Chartered Accountant (CA), or already on their way!

Discuss program choices, ask questions, etc.- all right here!

[size=7]So post here if you want to be a CA![/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
84 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Ok, I'll start it off...

Why do you want to become a CA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of truongalong truongalong
Hi there!
I applied to:
UTSG BCom
UTSC BBA coop
Laurier BA coop

and as back ups...
York BAS
York BA -Psychology. Random social sciences with 5 business program applications:)
Ryerson BComm coop

On a side note, I'm considering also applying to other accredited programs since I only applied to 2 here.

I'm undecided in becoming a CA or CMA though.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@truongalong wrote
Hi there!
I applied to:
UTSG BCom
UTSC BBA coop
Laurier BA coop

and as back ups...
York BAS
York BA -Psychology. Random social sciences with 5 business program applications:)
Ryerson BComm coop

On a side note, I'm considering also applying to other accredited programs since I only applied to 2 here.

I'm undecided in becoming a CA or CMA though.

Did you mean Laurier BBA? Or the BA- Honours Ec?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Economic Honours. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simplySimple simplySimple
WOW that's a lot of programs to apply to! May I ask what your average is like??
I too want to pursue this as a career, but really not sure considering allI have taken is grade 12 accounting.. lol can't really base my hwhole life on this one class though

ahhhh so confused!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missblair missblair

@truongalong wrote
Economic Honours. :)

What made you choose Laurier Economics over Laurier BBA? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@simplySimple wrote
I too want to pursue this as a career, but really not sure considering allI have taken is grade 12 accounting.. lol can't really base my hwhole life on this one class though

ahhhh so confused!!!

If you were referring to me, I'm a mid/high 80's student. My midterms were only mid 80s however.

I didn't take accounting in highschool. Apparently everyone who takes it at my school hates it :P

My friend went to UTM for accounting on the basis of how fun accounting was in highschool. She didn't like it and switched programs during her second year.

and missblair : impulse.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh ok! So what is your first choice?? or are you still undecided??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@truongalong wrote

@simplySimple wrote

ahhhh so confused!!!

If you were referring to me, I'm a mid/high 80's student. My midterms were only mid 80s however.

I didn't take accounting in highschool. Apparently everyone who takes it at my school hates it :P

My friend went to UTM for accounting on the basis of how fun accounting was in highschool. She didn't like it and switched programs during her second year.

The reason that some people don't like accounting is that the stuff in high school is actually bookkeeping and not really accounting. The first year accounting courses in university are virtually the same.

CAs are sometimes referred to as the "doctors" of companies. This is more the accounting, while bookkeeping is kind of like the doctors scribe, I don't know. It's not nearly as exciting as the more advanced and analytical work.

Mid-l to high 80s would give you a good chance for BBA at Laurier. If you don't get in, they give you an alternate offer to Honours Ec anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

really?? are you talking at OUF?? because I found all 3 Toronto reps extremely unfriendly
plus they kept bounfcing us off person to person because they didnt know the answers!

i thought the best reps were at UW, and McMaster

and also you still have time to switch if you don't want to apply to Sc
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I haven't spoken to the reps at UTM or UTSC. Only UTSG. I spoke to 2 and they were really helpful. I wasn't even considering UTSG (I talked to them having no idea where I wanted to go).

I spoke to a business prof from Laurentian as well...he assumed what my background was and started talking about it...(a TAD bit offended)
The UW rep I spoke to wasn't helpful. "Just study really hard"...um, okay. But my friend goes there (not sure which program) and with coop, she's bringing in the bucks.

I intend to sleep on it (changing application) and I'll do so tomorrow if anything comes up.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@truongalong wrote

@simplySimple wrote

ahhhh so confused!!!

The reason that some people don't like accounting is that the stuff in high school is actually bookkeeping and not really accounting. The first year accounting courses in university are virtually the same.

CAs are sometimes referred to as the "doctors" of companies. This is more the accounting, while bookkeeping is kind of like the doctors scribe, I don't know. It's not nearly as exciting as the more advanced and analytical work.

Mid-l to high 80s would give you a good chance for BBA at Laurier. If you don't get in, they give you an alternate offer to Honours Ec anyways.

that's what im scared About.
i dont want to get into a program with limited career options and then hate it
and i dont feel like i have enough "experience" to make an informed decision
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of missblair missblair

@simplySimple wrote

@g93 wrote

@truongalong wrote

@simplySimple wrote

ahhhh so confused!!!

same, is it better to go into a general business program (a BBA/BComm) and then chose your specialization after or go into a program that's specialized itself (such as Waterloo's AFM). Because I don't want to base my decision on just high school courses but Waterloo's program does look awesome:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@missblair wrote

@simplySimple wrote

@g93 wrote

@truongalong wrote

@simplySimple wrote

ahhhh so confused!!!

same, is it better to go into a general business program (a BBA/BComm) and then chose your specialization after or go into a program that's specialized itself (such as Waterloo's AFM). Because I don't want to base my decision on just high school courses but Waterloo's program does look awesome:)

well said. getting into a general business program would be good. if business isn't your thing, switch out of it after the first year for something else. thing is, first year business is the most boring and "depressing" says: everyone I know that has gone to a business program and stuck to it (@Schulich, UTSG).

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Es Es
What are some of the things that CA's actually do ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Es wrote
What are some of the things that CA's actually do ?

Here is some good info.

If you have any questions about that, feel free to ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Liz4050 Liz4050
w8 wats the difference b/w the BA economics and BBA in Laurier
which is better?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@Liz4050 wrote
w8 wats the difference b/w the BA economics and BBA in Laurier
which is better?

The BBA is harder to get into than the Honours Ec (~87 opposed to ~83 cutoff). The BBA is more competitive and is harder than the Honours Ec as well. And, as the name suggests, honours Ec deals more with economics, while the BBA is general business (plus you can do, say, an accounting specialization with each). If you dont get into BBA, they will automatically give you an alternate offer to Honours Ec (assuming you meet the cutoff for that one). The BBA is the more distinguished degree, while the Honours Ec is really just a BA. They are both good programs though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Trooper Trooper
I didn't apply yet.

Here are my options

Schulich
Queen's
Laurier
Western
U of T
Brock
Possibly Waterloo... maybe I want to switch it with Western.

Opinions? Criticize me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slader23 slader23

@Trooper wrote
I didn't apply yet.

Here are my options

Schulich
Queen's
Laurier
Western
U of T
Brock
Possibly Waterloo... maybe I want to switch it with Western.

Opinions? Criticize me.

Dont get rid of Western..If your applying to the Ivey HBA program at Western its probably the best out of all the Universities listed..If I were to get rid of one I would get rid of Brock and add Waterloo because it has an excellent Accounting program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0