yconic - The cost of business schools
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

The cost of business schools

A photo of lemony lemony
I was accepted to Queen's Commerce without a major entrance scholarship. Initially, I planned that I would only go to Queen's if I was chosen for a scholarship. I am paying for my education completely on my own and, if I were to go to Queen's, I would probably not only graduate with massive debt, but be forced to spend my summers working hard just to get money for the schoolyear, always pennypinching, etc. Part of me imagines that this is worth it because I'll make it back later using the opportunities given to me through the program, but a more liberal part of me says my early twenties are the prime time of my life anyway so I shouldn't focus it solely around work while also plunging myself into some serious debt. Obviously, with any university I would also be working and saving, but not to such a stressful amount and with the likelihood of having debt regardless of how much I work.
However, I'm also worried that I will be making a mistake by saying no to a school with such a great reputation and program only because of price. I know how many people would love to go to Queen's. But I guess there is also the possibility that, since I'm not that exceptional compared to the other students (at least, not enough to have won one of 70+ scholarships), I'd only end up at the lower end of average there anyway and it would not be much different than if I had gone to any other university. I don't really plan on becoming a millionaire or anything, but would it really be that if I go to any university other than Queen's, I'll end up being poor or unemployed? And no, I don't plan on paying for an MBA.
I'm not sure how many people are having their mommys, daddys, or scholarships paying for them, but for the rest of us only slightly above average people, I'm sure this is also an issue. How are you going to finance your education? Queen's isn't even the worst of it - Ivey charges 20k tuition for its 3rd and 4th year, plus many people have mentioned MBAs, of which the prices are insanely high across the board. Do you not feel like you are digging yourself into a hole by this and dooming yourself to spend what are supposed be the best years of life just paying off debt?
/endrant
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
I'm lucky that my parents are paying for my education but this may not be what you want to hear. Yes QSB is an amazing business school but there are other's that are really good. This forum is very Ontario-focused and people often look down on McGill's Desautels. But you might want to consider this as an option since it is only 6k (probably the cheapest Business school) every year (compared to 13k at Queen's and 11k at Rotman). Although Desautel's reputation in Canada (well mostly Ontario) is lower than Queen's, at an international level, it is far superior, this should be a consideration if you want to work in NYC/London/HongKong/etc.

Queen's World Rankings

Overall: 132
Arts & Humanities: 162
Engineering & IT: 151
Natural Sciences: 175
Life Sciences: 185
Social Sciences: 110

McGill's World Rankings

Overall: 19
Arts & Humanities: 28
Engineering & IT: 29
Natural Sciences: 35
Life Sciences: 22
Social Sciences: 27
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary
U cud always go to schulich ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@lemony wrote
I was accepted to Queen's Commerce without a major entrance scholarship. Initially, I planned that I would only go to Queen's if I was chosen for a scholarship. I am paying for my education completely on my own and, if I were to go to Queen's, I would probably not only graduate with massive debt, but be forced to spend my summers working hard just to get money for the schoolyear, always pennypinching, etc. Part of me imagines that this is worth it because I'll make it back later using the opportunities given to me through the program, but a more liberal part of me says my early twenties are the prime time of my life anyway so I shouldn't focus it solely around work while also plunging myself into some serious debt. Obviously, with any university I would also be working and saving, but not to such a stressful amount and with the likelihood of having debt regardless of how much I work.
However, I'm also worried that I will be making a mistake by saying no to a school with such a great reputation and program only because of price. I know how many people would love to go to Queen's. But I guess there is also the possibility that, since I'm not that exceptional compared to the other students (at least, not enough to have won one of 70+ scholarships), I'd only end up at the lower end of average there anyway and it would not be much different than if I had gone to any other university. I don't really plan on becoming a millionaire or anything, but would it really be that if I go to any university other than Queen's, I'll end up being poor or unemployed? And no, I don't plan on paying for an MBA.
I'm not sure how many people are having their mommys, daddys, or scholarships paying for them, but for the rest of us only slightly above average people, I'm sure this is also an issue. How are you going to finance your education? Queen's isn't even the worst of it - Ivey charges 20k tuition for its 3rd and 4th year, plus many people have mentioned MBAs, of which the prices are insanely high across the board. Do you not feel like you are digging yourself into a hole by this and dooming yourself to spend what are supposed be the best years of life just paying off debt?
/endrant

Wow. You're already accepted (early). You shouldn't doubt how exceptional you are. People who have won the scholarships are incredible, but that doesn't mean you aren't. I got rejected from the major awards too, but I still hold my head high.

If you work hard at QC, I'm sure debt would be the last thing on your mind.

I hope you find this inspirational. :tongue:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@jessiexo wrote
I'm lucky that my parents are paying for my education but this may not be what you want to hear. Yes QSB is an amazing business school but there are other's that are really good. This forum is very Ontario-focused and people often look down on McGill's Desautels. But you might want to consider this as an option since it is only 6k (probably the cheapest Business school) every year (compared to 13k at Queen's and 11k at Rotman). Although Desautel's reputation in Canada (well mostly Ontario) is lower than Queen's, at an international level, it is far superior, this should be a consideration if you want to work in NYC/London/HongKong/etc.

Queen's World Rankings

Overall: 132
Arts & Humanities: 162
Engineering & IT: 151
Natural Sciences: 175
Life Sciences: 185
Social Sciences: 110

McGill's World Rankings

Overall: 19
Arts & Humanities: 28
Engineering & IT: 29
Natural Sciences: 35
Life Sciences: 22
Social Sciences: 27

Indeed reputation should be a consideration. Just as at McGill, if you achieve at QC, there's nothing stopping you from NYC/London/HongKong in any way. Rankings are hardly definitive and you can't quantify a university experience. Often the criteria of rankings are irrelevant to what you personally are looking for in a university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@lemony wrote
but would it really be that if I go to any university other than Queen's, I'll end up being poor or unemployed? And no, I don't plan on paying for an MBA.

You think just because someone goes to Queens they're guaranteed a high paying job?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey15 ivey15

@lemony wrote
/endrant

If you're going to be cheap and penny pinching... don't bother with Queen's Commerce or Ivey - you will be spending obscene amount of $$ on alcohol, food, etc, or you'll be a sour loesr.

Moving forward, both UWO and Queen's offer generous bursaries - also you'll have OSAP, QE2 Scholarship, etc. You can also apply for external scholarships like the ones found on studentawards.

Also, get a job this summer. Last summer, I worked as a waiter in a mid-high scale restaurant, and tip inclusive, I made an average of $15/hr - I saved about $6000 during grade 11, and I hope to save as much, if not more this year to pay for my education.

Honestly, you sound like a f--king loser with an inferiority complex who would burn out in a business school where social interaction, team work, etc, are crucial in one's success.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@axiom2true wrote

Wow. You're already accepted (early). You shouldn't doubt how exceptional you are.
If you work hard at QC, I'm sure debt would be the last thing on your mind.
I hope you find this inspirational.

@axiom2true wrote

Indeed reputation should be a consideration. Just as at McGill, if you achieve at QC, there's nothing stopping you from NYC/London/HongKong in any way. Rankings are hardly definitive and you can't quantify a university experience. Often the criteria of rankings are irrelevant to what you personally are looking for in a university.

+9001
axiom, you make my day :)

@lemony I personally think QC is a worthwhile investment, but I am sure that you will be successful at whichever amazing university you choose!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Yeah keep at it :) Queen's is a great investment and probably a great experience. McGill is the same! Do what you think is best, you have lots of time! But as I've told you before lemony, McGill freaken ROCKS :)!!!

@Ivey15, lool stop hating man, it's not cool. she's not a loser.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pharger Pharger
All i can really say is for you to go out and apply for bursaries and student loans. As the previous guy/girl said, apply for external scholarships because little minor scholarships be it $100 or $500 accumulate and at your current situation these scholarships are going to be very helpful. And also, you gotta get a good paying job this summer, I'd say $15/hr, work it off full-time as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed

@LampShade wrote
Yeah keep at it :) Queen's is a great investment and probably a great experience. McGill is the same! Do what you think is best, you have lots of time! But as I've told you before lemony, McGill freaken ROCKS :)!!!

@Ivey15, lool stop hating man, it's not cool. she's not a loser.

Was this helpful? Yes 0