yconic - The higher the admission average the tougher the university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

The higher the admission average the tougher the university?

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
I hear this rumour a lot, is there any truth to it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of Zeal Zeal
No, it's not true at all. Just look at Mac Health sci or any top business program, which contradicts that statement. Also, Ryerson engineering I've heard is as tough as UW and UofT engineering, and they just accept students with low averages so they can kick them out and take their money later on.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Theresa96 Theresa96
same as UT, I hear UT kick out lots of students after first year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
To a certain extent I think. A school such as Algoma is probably going to be easier than UofT (huge understatement). But there will definitely be exceptions, and it won't be completely cut and dry from the middle tier schools to the top-tier schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc

@Zeal wrote
No, it's not true at all. Just look at Mac Health sci or any top business program, which contradicts that statement. Also, Ryerson engineering I've heard is as tough as UW and UofT engineering, and they just accept students with low averages so they can kick them out and take their money later on.

:O What's wrong with Mac Health Sci?!?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Probably true about 80% of the time than other competitors, but more of reputation.

^ To the person who said top business schools and Mac health sci, you are wrong. They ARE hard. Do you have any experience in business? It's not your typical "Invent this product, how does a business work, etc."...

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zeal Zeal

@waazup wrote
Probably true about 80% of the time than other competitors, but more of reputation.

^ To the person who said top business schools and Mac health sci, you are wrong. They ARE hard. Do you have any experience in business? It's not your typical "Invent this product, how does a business work, etc."...

Yes, I know many people in top business programs (Rotman, Schulich, Ivey), and let's just say, they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Mac Health sci has a 50%, give or take, of its students go off to medical school with competitive GPA's. Since most people in health sci are gunning for medical school either way, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to conclude that health sci is a relatively easy program (when compared to waterloo and UofT life sci).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@Zeal wrote

@waazup wrote

Yes, I know many people in top business programs (Rotman, Schulich, Ivey), and let's just say, they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Mac Health sci has a 50%, give or take, of its students go off to medical school with competitive GPA's. Since most people in health sci are gunning for medical school either way, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to conclude that health sci is a relatively easy program (when compared to waterloo and UofT life sci).

Hmm, so what are the sharpest tools in the shed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zeal Zeal

@waazup wrote

@Zeal wrote

@waazup wrote

Those who actually took challenging courses and still did well, not 3-4 bird courses to make up for the hit that calculus or advanced functions did to their average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny
More competition&applicants = higher admission average
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@arviny wrote
More competition&applicants = higher admission average

this.. I mean I am looking over at the many AFM friends I have - the first year courses they take are extremely easy with the exception of AFM 102. They just have huge ass competition because everyone still wants 90s in university, which is not hard to achieve in AFM.

some schools just dont have any competition with their programs, so accepts students with top6 of high 70s or more, and of course those students end up partying too much or cant handle the difficulty cause either their marks werent good to begin with or they took too many bird courses in high school. theyre not out to take your money, they just had some higher expectations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@Theresa96 wrote

UofT is NOTORIOUS for this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nakhuda93 nakhuda93

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@Theresa96 wrote

UofT is NOTORIOUS for this.

Well I guess \i know where I'm not going if i get in, plus I applied to engineering. even better...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of merm123 merm123

@Zeal wrote

Do you think Windsor engineering would be any easier/tougher than Waterloo engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@Zeal wrote

@waazup wrote

@Zeal wrote

@waazup wrote

Those who actually took challenging courses and still did well, not 3-4 bird courses to make up for the hit that calculus or advanced functions did to their average.

Lol. Oh man. You think you do bird courses here? CLEARLY, you have not been inside one of these schools nor looked at their curriculum. Killer math, financial accounting, macroeconomics, micro, stats, corporate finance, etc.

These are not bird courses!! Probably just as hard as university science for many!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joey4231 joey4231

@Zeal wrote

@waazup wrote

I've heard that Ivey works its students hard enough within the first months to make some of them cry.

The "I know many people in top business programs..." thing, that's just a personal bias, a hasty generalization made with too small of a sample size.
Was this helpful? Yes 0