yconic - The Importance of Advanced Functions for Life Science? MHF4U0?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

The Importance of Advanced Functions for Life Science? MHF4U0?

A photo of raymondkhanano77 raymondkhanano77
My current mark in advanced functions is 86% (dropped from 90%), and I really want to get into Life Sciences at Mac (top choice). My friend told me they got an 84% in advanced functions, but a 90% in calculus and they got in. Is calculus treated as a more important math?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of random random
Well, it depends whether or not adv. functions is a prerequisite. 86% is not even bad, lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nehalkazim nehalkazim
It depends on the requirements at Mac. You want to make sure the average meets/ideally surpsasses the minimum. In terms of if one math is weighed more than the other, I understand that it is based strictly on averages vs. individual courses. Have you heard otherwise?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of raymondkhanano77 raymondkhanano77
I have not heard otherwise, no. However, I was under the impression that the mark an applicant receives in the calculus course would influence their application more than MHF would, since calculus is a first-year course. My reasoning seems flawed though, since I think Universities just end up taking the Top 6 U/M courses into account at the end of the day.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@raymondkhanano77 wrote
I have not heard otherwise, no. However, I was under the impression that the mark an applicant receives in the calculus course would influence their application more than MHF would, since calculus is a first-year course. My reasoning seems flawed though, since I think Universities just end up taking the Top 6 U/M courses into account at the end of the day.

http://future.mcmaster.ca/admission/admission-requirements

From my understanding of admission average calculations for McMaster Life Science, you only need to have one of MHF or MCV in your top 6, although they say MCV4U is recommended (meaning if you do worse in Calculus, but have 6 other marks higher than it, MCV will not count). The only time both maths will be needed in your top 6 is when none of your sciences make it to your top 6 (but that's grossly unlikely). If they both happen to end up in your top 6, they should have equal weight, and I doubt one is more influential than the other.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23
English and biology are in your top 6 no matter what.

If your Physics, Chemistry, and Calculus mark is higher than your Advanced Functions mark, Advanced Functions will not be used.

Then you have two electives, which you will likely have a higher mark than your Advanced Functions mark, so it won't be used.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
Totally unrelated question.. why is it MHF4U0? at my school, its MHF4U1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lowerlevel lowerlevel

@Joshki wrote
Totally unrelated question.. why is it MHF4U0? at my school, its MHF4U1

The last number is just a number for your school. Only the first 5 letters/numbers matter.

MHF = course code
4 = grade level (4=12)
U = college/university/etc identifier
last character can be whatever your school wants.

My school used 1 for most courses, P for the AP classes, E for enriched. This is only for the school to see, I believe universities don't see this. Does the last character appear on your OUAC (1/0/whatever) marks? I don't remember if it did when I applied
Was this helpful? Yes 0