yconic - The Only Majors to Go to University For
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

The Only Majors to Go to University For

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Ok so I see high school kids talk about going into art or business, and I think to myself, " well I will be seeing you in four years making my coffee". So I have to write this, because I fell for the trap. Every year high school kids think about going to university and spending thousands of dollars to study a hobby. I attended queens commerce for my undergrad, and learned the hard way. College majors such as English, political science, business, social sciences, humanities, psychology are all scams(to the most part). In this forum, business major seems to be the most popular, as I was one a couple of years ago. When I got accepted, I was so happy because I heard all the good stories of students going to work at big financial and consulting firms. This is not true. In theses so called " top Canadian business schools", the students are misinformed. Only a few and I mean a few go work in these big firms, while the rest works at crappy places. Today, everyone has a business major, so the job market is sh*t. Majors like English and humanities, are the biggest scam also, because high school kids think they are hoping to be the next Shakespeare, but instead they will be making sandwiches at McDonalds. Also pre med is another scam. If you major in biology, but do not get into med school, you are then useless. Unless you spend 5-6 years getting a PhD, your bio degree has 0 value. As the job market gets tougher and tougher, people need to realize that only a handful of college majors make the student more valuable. Examples, such as engineering, accounting and computer science. I wanted to rant about this because High school kids need to know about the trap of university majors.
Was this helpful? Yes 42
355 replies

umadlol?
Was this helpful? Yes 25

You must practice inner peace.

We shall walk through the pathway of the sun. Inhale.

Release the tension of the strain on your eyes and envision a sunny, warm horizon, complete with a distant seagull. Channel the serenity inherent within each of our souls and allow the warmth of the breeze to envelop the currently turbulent state your soul and mind seems to be in. Once you achieve a mindfulness, then you can exhale. 

Exhalation represents an excretion of all negative thoughts, attitudes, and feelings. 

Feel free to release the load built up within you.

Harness the serene lion resting deep within your spirit, and feel the cleansing of your soul.
Was this helpful? Yes 33

Agreed 100 percent. Will be going next year for civil engineering. People think that they have some sort of obligation to go to university. That is just delusional.
Was this helpful? Yes 9

Good Decision, but you have to realize not everyone can be engineer because there will be too much job saturation!!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

I can tell that you did not get into QCommerce. Period. And did you just that say computer science is one of the only valuable majors? I'm LOLing, you can be professional programmer through YouTube videos and internet forums. Other than that I agree with everything else you said.
Was this helpful? Yes 12

I will answer your two concerns: Your first concern was that I did not attend Queens Commerce. On the contrary I did. Queens Commerce became more popular in the last few years, before it used to be still " reputable". And your second concern was that, you can learn computer science through the internet. Which may be true, but that same statement can be said about any university major. Learning programming does not make you a computer scientist. Its like me learning biology through YouTube. That does not make me a biologist. And the reason I place CS as one of the more valuable majors, because it is high in demand in todays market.
Was this helpful? Yes 14

You think that you will be hired as a computer scientist because you learned programming over the internet?

My god, this guy is a serious fool.

Was this helpful? Yes 14

^ Au contraire, you can definitely get hired as a programmer if you are good at programming. If you have enough projects to showcase your efforts, you can definitely get employed in CS/programming without a degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 7

Bill gates... You definitely get hired for computer science without a degree, because you can show the work you've done by presenting your portfolio to a company. Many people have done that. 

With something like engineering it's not taught enough in a deep enough level to learn on your own, and you need a degree to get a pe licence. 

Who's the fool bud?
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Nope... without a degree, the robots scanning resumes at many of the companies that you apply for will filter out your application right away.  Not saying that the skills you acquire on your own won't make you know how to code, but the reality is that you learn a *whole* lot more in CPSC uni program than just coding stuff -- and that stuff is what SW companies look for.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

^That's why you start off working at a small company/firm first. Degree or no degree if your average at programming you want to start off small. If you're an amazing self taught programmer companies will find you and hire you regardless of your educational background because they NEED you.

If you had the opportunity to hire Larry Ellison, would you not hire him because he's a dropout? Absolutely not.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

If you know every language in the world, you are still not a computer scientist...
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Your an  idiot you don't know what computer science is, if you think it's that easy. You learn way more than any bs arts degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

As a wise man once said, "Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes". You clearly missed that point. Computer Science grads don't just learn how to program, they learn to think logically and come up with algorithms. Sure, anyone with time and effort can learn to program through the internet, but that does not make them a computer scientist. Computer scientists think abstractly, relating mathematical concepts and employing them to achieve things with the aid of a computer. Learning syntax is so easy that anything with a brain can do it; applying it is where CS and SoftEng kids distinguish themselves: turning the building blocks of code into something useful. In an age where almost everything is becoming more and more digital, Computer Scientists are in high demand which makes their degrees more valuable. Most good graduates in their fields will end up well off, but mediocre CS kids will end up way better off than mediocre business kids. Anyways that's my two cents; do with it what you will.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Majoring in math and physics
U mad lol?
Was this helpful? Yes 4

I am not mad, its ur life that you are throwing away. Unless you go to grad school, both these fields of study are not that valuable. Instead of majoring in both math and physics, you should have just majored in mechanical engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 12

Trust me, the kids here won't listen to you. I've been here for many years and am graduating with a science degree this year. My peers and friends are indeed looking for minimum wage work because none of them got into a health professional program and aren't willing to do a useless masters anyways.

High schoolers on this forum are delusional believing that a business degree from a top tier school will set them up, when I personally know students from Schulich, Laurier, Queens and Ivey struggling to make it. You hear the stories of the successful students, but what about the unsuccessful ones? But people here won't believe you. They'll make up some excuse, like the guy above who said that you didn't go to Queens commerce. I'm guessing he's another kid who's going into business and thinks he'll be set for life.
Was this helpful? Yes 19

^ This right here is so true. I also know people from Schulich/Laurier/Queen's who are struggling to get a job, it's the harsh reality. The school can only get you so far, you have to work hard and get good grades to get the best jobs. Your skills will take you even farther (leadership, communication skills, etc.) but people here really believe that once you get into a "top tier school" you're set for life.
Was this helpful? Yes 9

I'm the "kid" that said he doesn't go to Qcommerce, I'm not going into business. I'm going into engineering and I don't think I'm set in life, I'm just stating what should be common sense to people. 

You can go to Harvard and not be set for life, I'm sure everyone knows that, you have to stand out and make connections. 

Commerce is an excellent program, there's no reason to try and tell people not to go into school.
Was this helpful? Yes 4

I don't think anyone is delusional enough to think that going into QC alone will set you up for life. No university program will set you up for life unless you actually try. What programs like QC do is they provide more opportunities towards people to help them succeed, that very few other schools can. QC, Ivey, Rotman all offer thing such as job fairs that rival those of Ivy League Schools, the best ECs in the country, and professors with enough industry connections to help out any student who is willing to work hard.

Regardless of what you will go into, nothing is a golden ticket to success. Anywhere you go, anything that you study, you will need to work to succeed and get those best paying jobs. But going to prestigious schools like QC or Ivey will make it significantly easier for you.

That is, of course, only applicable to business. OP's "advice" does hold true for arts programs like English or History. Those degrees are significantly more useless than a business or an engineering degree. But if you live by that advice, then f*ck it, may as well forget school and go be a plumber, because those will always be in demand.

tl;dr, OP is only half right, and his advice should be taken with a grain of salt.
Was this helpful? Yes 18

This is so true. But there are so many people who believe that because they are in QComm or Ivey or Schulich that they're set for life, which is very untrue. I know this kid going to Ivey next year, who states that "business is the sh*t nowadays, smart people know this is where it's at because this is where the money is." Little does he know the surprise he's in for.
Was this helpful? Yes 5

What do you suggest then?
Was this helpful? Yes 3

I suggest looking at the current market. What is in demand. Not artists or business majors, but instead engineers. The tech world is booming, so one should capitalize that and major in computer science, software engineering. This is not the 19th century. The world does not need poets and writers, but instead an engineer. University is an investment, not a hobby. So you should take it seriously, because the four years your doing commerce it may be fun. But once you get out into the real world, u will soon realize that ur commerce/art degree has no value.
Was this helpful? Yes 12

Wtf this guy is so stupid.

OP, NOT everyone is going to be a science person, and every each individuals has their own skills. 

This guy seriously has problems.
Was this helpful? Yes 14

I completely agree. I too was not good at science, but now I face the consequences for not trying harder in math/science. Majors such as engineering and computer science also nursing require a lot of science but these careers are really good. But a business/social science/ humanities major sets one up for failure in life.
Was this helpful? Yes 8

Not everyone is going to excel in math or science. Even if they try. Everyone has their own ways.
Was this helpful? Yes 4

The use of offensive language, such as "stupid" is unwarranted and disruptive of the peaceful atmosphere with which we calm hippies thrive on. 

Please refrain from such language as it in turn lodges a barrier towards achieving happiness and inner calm.
Was this helpful? Yes 9

Yes because engineering is not saturated at all. You will definitely find good, quality, high paying jobs in engineering. Trust me, I am an engineering graduate, still looking for a job after two years! Starbucks here I come!
Was this helpful? Yes 3

In a few years time even computer science and engineering will be saturated as more and more people seek out "useful" degrees. This will deflate the value and may decrease the difficulty of the programs. On top of that companies are outsourcing more and more work to places like India so that they can cut costs by not hiring Canadians. 
I agree to look at the market. What is in demand is the trades and you can never outsource these jobs. But of course everyone wants a "prestigious" university degree and the universities are ok with that because they get your money. So the job market will continue to be saturated with bachelors degrees and increasingly more masters and PhDs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am not mad, its ur life that you are throwing away. Unless you go to grad school, both these fields of study are not that valuable. Instead of majoring in both math and physics, you should have just majored in mechanical engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 6

I started off in engineering but the course work was so boring and intellectually non-stimulating.
I'm planning to do a PhD and work in the industry. Hopefully I can get a job at CERN or SpaceX
Was this helpful? Yes 3

A PhD in engineering is highly valuable for upper management potions and leaders. I applaud you for your desire to be a better engineer.
Was this helpful? Yes 4

Isnt accounting saturated
Was this helpful? Yes 5

It is.  Everyone is going into it. There is no way I'm changing my program because some random Anonymous guy on a high school forum told me to.
Was this helpful? Yes 13

No. On the basis that it is compared to other fields, accounting is in high demand due to every company needing them. Accounting is valuable in every sector of the work force.
Was this helpful? Yes 9

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/too-many-people-becoming-accountants-career-getting-saturated-1249861/

http://www.quora.com/It-seems-like-accounting-is-such-a-safe-major-these-days-but-with-all-of-the-recent-accounting-graduates-isnt-the-market-becoming-saturated-Or-is-demand-for-accountants-really-that-high
 It's saturated. 
Was this helpful? Yes 4

I don't get how accounting is apart of that list. There r only so many jobs out there regardless of "every company needing them" every company also needs a janitor doesn't mean you'll become one due to the necessity of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Don't forget that technology is advancing and doing a better job of automating lower level accounting jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So according to your logic... I should decline my McMaster Health Sciences offer, despite intending on applying to professional schooling afterwards?
Was this helpful? Yes 5

Considering Mac health sci is a joke of a program where even a dull monkey can get a 3.95+ GPA, no you shouldn't, because you basically have a golden ticket to med school. If you were in a legitimate program like life sciences at mcmaster, queens, UofT, or UBC, then you chances of getting into professional school are significantly less. What I'm trying to say is that you have a golden ticket to professional school
Was this helpful? Yes 10

With your concern about McMaster Health Sciences: My logic is be realistic. If you do intend on continuing in the field of medicine, that is very commendable. Being a doctor is rewarding both financially and intellectually. But what happens if you were unable to make it into med school/ grad school. Now you are stuck with a degree in health science, which in the real world has not value. Always think both sides. If you make it into professional schooling, good job. If you don't, u can accompany me in the unemployment line.
Was this helpful? Yes 9

Health sci kids and their high horse.
Was this helpful? Yes 9

EXACTLY. If you GOT IN to Mac Health Sci I have no doubt that you have the motivation to study for professional school. Mac Health Sci will allow you to get a high GPA so your chances are high for Medicine, but even if that doesn't work, you can still apply to Pharmacy, Dentistry, Optometry, and still have a very comfortable salary. This person doesn't realize Nursing, Dentistry and Pharmacy etc. are still options for those in Science undergrads and people working in the above industries make quite a fair salary. Ignorance smh
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Why? Why? Why?
Can someone please tell me why?
I'm addressing the person who replied to this... Plzzzz elaborate on what u juat said about Mac's H-sci allowing you to get a higher GPA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What did you major in?
Was this helpful? Yes 3

I attended Queens commerce (business)
Was this helpful? Yes 5

Yeah sure you did
Was this helpful? Yes 4

Its just you who cant get the job 
stop trying to generalize it
Was this helpful? Yes 16

Ivey graduates make an average of 60k after graduation. ON AVERAGE. Even if you did actually do QC, you clearly were too big of a pussy to network yourself or actually do anything to help yourself get a job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

People here need to stop bashing the OP for giving us the reality of a university degree. Honestly, just do some more research for yourself and read up online articles and message past students from your intended program.

If you are going to do a science or arts degree with the purpose of getting into a professional program, either go to Mac Health Sci or Western med sci, and if you don't get into either, choose a school like Brock, Ottawa, Trent, York, etc. This is pretty standard advice and everyone should know it by now.

If you go into business and engineering, try to get good grades and stand out from the crowd by gaining as much work experience as you can.

A sociology or life science degree is useless on its own, but if you get them at an easy school with a high ass GPA, it opens up a lot of doors, and acceptance into many professional programs.

Was this helpful? Yes 20

LOL why is UOttawa grouped with schools like Yprk and Trent.....?
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Ottawa is easier for GPA than schools like U of T, McGill, Queens, McMaster and Waterloo. They are more fair in grading and have lower admissions requirements for high school students. I know tons of Ottawa graduates who went on to professional school.

York has some of the top law, business, fine arts/ theater, criminology, space engineering program in the country. Not sure why you're so bitter about the person grouping it with York and Trent, he/ she simply means that it's easier for GPA.
Was this helpful? Yes 5

Just confused as to why a top ten school in canada is being grouped with them....
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Nope nope most of the people who get into professional school aren't necessarily from "easier" schools. AND OTTAWA IS NOT ONE. I say this from experience as well as stats. Most of the people in med school went to an undergrad program at a school known for medicine. I would only advise someone to go to York, Trent etc. if they aren't such a great student but are still really driven on becoming a doctor.By that I mean, if you barely made it into a "good" science program (ie. Queen's Science, Mac Life Sci etc.) maybe you should try the easier schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

U of Ottawa has never been among top Canadian universities DUH... Face it bro!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

So what about double degrees with co-op? Like the WLU/UW bba/comp sci program?
Was this helpful? Yes 3

I'm wondering about this too; got into cs coop and bba/bcs at Waterloo. Is business a good choice along with cs?
Was this helpful? Yes 2

double degrees are no as useful as you think they are. When you dual degree in bba/bsc most likely a company will hire you based on your computer science background, rather than your bba knowledge. a bba is worthless, so instead of wasting time getting two dgrees, just focus on one.
Was this helpful? Yes 4

Ok, please stop listening to OP. CS/BBA is an awesome degree for someone that is interested in both fields. You will get a comprehensive and thorough education in both these majors. Especially if your home school is UW, you'll have all the regular CS opportunities as well as additional ones such as project manager, product manager and other tech jobs that tie in with business.
Was this helpful? Yes 7

Yeah, I don't think OP really understands what he is talking about. I got accepted to the WLU side, so I won't have access to UW's co-op jobs. However, I'm more interested in the jobs on the business side, so I'm completely fine with that. To OP, you can't really say that BBA's and commerce degrees are worthless just because you and some other people were unsuccessful. No degree will guarantee you success. It mostly comes down to what you do as an individual. You need to be ambitious, motivated, and disciplined in order to find success. Ask any successful person and they'll tell you that there are no shortcuts in life.
Was this helpful? Yes 5

I think OP has a point here, even though it is a double degree program, it is essentially using your (if you are UW based) electives to take business courses at Laurier. It is knowledge that you could have gained even if you were not in the double degree program. Of course you do get certification at the end but it is not as powerful as it is made out to be.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The person who said that is a useless degree is completely idiotic. Having a BBA with a comp sci degree is a powerful combo and allows you to take more leadership jobs. It is also useful if you plan on getting an MBA
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Care to share some Queens commerce stories? (not the success stories)
Was this helpful? Yes 4

My commerce story can be read below. But I do want to tell a story everyone experiences. Everybody that goes to queens, or any"amazing" Canadian business school, at first believe they will be set with a job that will maker them rich. Everyone had high gpa's, but employers did not chooses any of us. So we felt cheated. Keep this in mind, the happiness you fell when you get accepted into business undergrad will not be the, after your graduate and enter the real world.
Was this helpful? Yes 4

It's pretty hard to get employed if you can't manage to string together a sentence.
Was this helpful? Yes 15

Sure you got into Queens Commerce LOL. Did you even pass the literacy test???
Was this helpful? Yes 1

What happened to you?
Was this helpful? Yes 6

I attended queens commerce, after high school. Most of my class mates went into engineering, but I decided that a business degree is versatile and useful. First year and 2ny year was normal. You learn material that is mostly common sense. Then the school convinced me to take a study abroad program, which was useless. The job fairs were good, and I got my internship there with td Canada. Nobody I knew, got internships at gold man, or mckinsey, as many of my classmates desired. So after year 4.5 (due to study abroad), I get be degree and work at TD. The position I work at td, was so sh*t, I barely made money. In high school I believe I was going to be rich, and a business degree was perfect for that. I quit my job and now teach micro/macro at a high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 12

How much were you making and what type of job? Since the perception of "barely" made money would differ from person to person
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Nice you went on to be a teacher and now you probs brain wash them with your so called knowledge...lol
Was this helpful? Yes 3

Could you provide proof that you went to Queen's Commerce? I am quite skeptical due to your poor diction and grammar.
Was this helpful? Yes 10

Maybe that's why he's so mad that it didn't shower him in money?

Was this helpful? Yes 4

Lol, you think commerce students write essays?
Was this helpful? Yes 5

yo whos gives a flying fck if OP went to QC or not. OP is trying to give people on this forum some gold advice here. You think OP wrote this cause he had nothing better to do? Either take the advice or get the fck out.
Was this helpful? Yes 12

You do not get accepted into Queens Commerce based on ones knowledge of grammar and diction. But if you want any evidence, just go to your local McDonalds and ask your cashier what degree they got. Chances are they with either say a business degree or an arts degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 18

REKT
Was this helpful? Yes 3

LOL stfu OP bull shix

Youre just a kid who has no degrees

You did NOT go to Queens for Commerce.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Actually OP, a major factor of getting accepted into Queen's Commerce is the quality of one's PSE. Well written essay responses are crucial for receiving an acceptance; something I feel you were unable to achieve.

Business students develop strong communication skills, both written and verbal. As you have the English aptitude of a 10th grader, I cannot imagine how it was possible you made it out of Queen's Commerce.

To the other anon, OP's credibility matters as he is sourcing his argument as a student that attended one of the most prestigious business schools in Canada. Without credibility, he is just a random highschooler parroting the opinions' of others.
Was this helpful? Yes 11

@yo whos gives a flying fck if OP went to QC or not. OP is trying to give people on this forum some gold advice here. You think OP wrote this cause he had nothing better to do? Either take the advice or get the fck out.

Yes. That's exactly what I think happened. It's Victoria day and OP was bored. Nothing is more fun than trolling a bunch of high school students. 
Was this helpful? Yes 3

Lol, I know people that paid for their PSE's and got accepted. This is ridiculous, it's crazy how delusional some people are. You don't need good English to develop good business skills. Thank you for your insight OP, people just don't want to accept the cold hard truth. A university is an institution, it's a business kids, it's all about making money. Don't feel obligated to go to school because you want to conform to society's norms. End of story.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Let's assume he somehow got into QC. If you can't even write a fcking resume past a Grade 8 level, obviously no one is going to hire you. I can almost guarantee you that this guy is in some useless-ass pure math degree is just trashing other majors to make himself feel better. Why is it that my friend in QC has already landed a internship on Bay St. as a 1st year? It's because he's actually smart, he can actually communicate to a reasonable level, and he networked himself to get the job? Everyone knows that the school you go to, whether it be Harvard or Lakehead, does not guarantee success or failure. Stop feeding the troll.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What about a statistics major? Many people are majoring in statistics and finding jobs upon graduation.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

statistics is a good job field, but may need further advancement such as an MBA or grad school. The market for statistic majors is promising .
Was this helpful? Yes 4

This post was deleted

CS degrees mad af cause they could have stayed home learned programming for a year, do some personal projects and gotten a job like my friend did all the small schoolers will probably end up in IT anyway. Only go to Uni for Accounting, Engineering (Petroleum is the best) and if you want to become a doctor. Anything else is useless.

Was this helpful? Yes 7

blunt but true.

Was this helpful? Yes 5

I know this is besides the point, but Petroleum Engineers aren't doing so well right now. Just look at the price of oil and you'll see why. A lot of workers are being laid off. It's a very unstable career in my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Yeah cause your one friend who is a self-taught programmer means that everyone in the industry can do it lol.. and that would never be the case for knowledgable programming positions, do you think they would let many people without a degree program the flight controls on an aircraft, or the embedded code for your car's engine, or the load calculations for a power grid? Generalizing an entire field shows your inexperience and ignorance.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

^ > one friend who is a self-taught programmer means that everyone in the industry can do it lol

Never implied this, just stated it is very possible and they're are many people who have done it not just my friend.

>and that would never be the case for knowledgeable programming positions

Describe Knowledgeable, like as in management positions? This is the most vague argument ever, if you dont think self taught programmers can move up the corporate ladder or aren't "knowledgeable" its about time you got off your high horse.

>do you think they would let many people without a degree program the flight controls on an aircraft, or the embedded code for your car's engine, or the load calculations for a power grid? Generalizing an entire field shows your inexperience and ignorance.

Wow if you truly believe this its time to wake up to the real world. Most of the people who do these kinds of jobs are CE grads and not CS grad and even so, this field requires knowledge of low/machine level languages. if you are saying someone can not learn low level programming by themselves you have another thing coming. Loading calculations onto a power grid is an EE concept and wouldn't be done by a CS grad regardless unless they possessed EE knowledge.

All in all it comes down to your interview if a person with no degree is a better programmer than you, you can sure as hell bet they will be hired over a mediocre CS grad. Wake up and smell the coffee, companies dont care about a glorified sheet of paper they want competent programmers. Regardless if the have a degree or not.

Was this helpful? Yes 1

Accounting, though many people are starting to enter the field, is a relatively safe field. It is also not a "trend-based" career, which means it is there to stick around.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

There's also a colossal difference in between people who go into a field like business because they are legitimately interested in the field, vs kids who go in because they don't know what to do with their lives.

The first group will succeed just because they're actually passionate about what they do. This passion will lead to better grades, better involvement, and ultimately better chances for them to succeed.

The second group will not do nearly as well, despite going to a top tier school, because they won't have the drive to succeed as much as those who go there because they're actually interested.

Was this helpful? Yes 9

This^ Life is also all about making connections. My cousin was in graphic design he got the highest grades and was the most passionate about it, he saw people do far worse than him but get much farther than him in the real world because he was too hesitant to take risks and make connections.
Was this helpful? Yes 5

There are also kids who believe that going to a top tier school automatically entails $$$, Wall Street, Bay Street, whatever financial street, and that's a widespread misconception. The reputation of business programs is over-inflated, leaving kids to enter these programs with illusory expectations and false hope of a future driving fast cars, chilling in mansions, popping bottles daily, and hanging with b*tches. Idealistic thinking and only for maybe the top 5%, probably less. 

People in it for the money, will not make it honey.
Was this helpful? Yes 7

I agree. That was once me. Now I regret my decision on getting a business degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 4

Rhyme schemes are a sign of tranquility. 

The pursuit of one's interests is a calmer state of mind than pursuit of money. With the pursuit of one's interests, one can achieve serenity, which inevitably necessitates success.

Your ability to individually remain calm and keep in touch with your own soul is impressive. 

Please continue to touch yourself.

Harness your inner lion. 
Was this helpful? Yes 4

You can blame some of this thinking on the universities. They are really good at marketing and promotion. In handouts and promo materials you will only see them feature the top students that have these Wall Street jobs and quotes that praise the program. The carefully choose which statistics to use to paint a pretty picture. The. You get a bunch of inflated expectations but then when you actually go to university it's not as advertised at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

AHLIE whos reaching aboriginal studies at uoft
Was this helpful? Yes 12

I know this one edgy, rebellious punk chick who's doing African Studies at UofT.

What the hell is a edgy white girl going to do with an "African Studies" degree? (Besides flip some burgers or serve some lattes.)
Was this helpful? Yes 16

I'm doing queer aboriginal dolphin underwater basket weaving studies at lake head next year, couldn't be more excited tbh.

Was this helpful? Yes 24

omg gotta love the cuties who contribute humorous things like this amidst raging, controversial posts 
<3 <3 <3 

ps. "edgy, rebellious punk chick" LOL 
Was this helpful? Yes 5

This guy is so salty because he didnt put in the effort at QC and didnt end up getting a job. If you put in the damn effort, then maybe you would have been the top of your class, have a decent job and not be on this forum telling high school kids what to do with their lives.

You're pathetic to be honest.
Was this helpful? Yes 9

It may sound like im interfering with high school student's lives, but I am actually helping them. I do not want them to make the same mistakes as I did. I know that social sciences/business majors are popular, but people need to know the truth. Its better knowing know than 5 years later, when you are unemployed and in debt.
Was this helpful? Yes 7

*when you're unemployed, in debt, and trying to convince people on forums that your degree is useful
Was this helpful? Yes 4

I'm at QC and am having a great time. I've had solid internships in my first and second years, gotten good marks, and joined some great ECs. If all continues to go well, 3rd year recruitment shouldn't be a problem for consulting and front-office finance gigs. 

Sure, there are going to be students who don't get top notch jobs, but most end up with decent paying ones (think 50-60k starting salary). Obviously, nothing's guaranteed but if you're motivated, interested, and work hard, there shouldn't be a reason why you can't get a good job out of a top business school. These degrees don't hand you a job, but they do provide you with great opportunities to apply for top global firms. 

No offense to OP, but it seems like he's a bit weak on communication and since this and confidence is key in business, it's likely what cost him a worthwhile job out of graduation. 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

All the business applicants are offended lol and in denial of OP's QC bc they are in denial of his advice
Was this helpful? Yes 7

He just has terrible grammar and logic, so I'm not sure how he got into QC in the first place. That may possibly explain why he didn't do so well. You can be book smart but if you have no logic and common sense you will get nowhere in life.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

or maybe because he's just one random guy on the internet.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Become a entrepreneur or start your own business. Only way to become rich.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

Stupidest logic ever. If you want to be filthy rich you have to do something that separates you from the average person. Starting a business is not the only way to get you rich.
Was this helpful? Yes 7