yconic - THe Out of Province Disadvantage
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

THe Out of Province Disadvantage

A photo of NettleShine NettleShine
Do you think that it's harder to get into an out of province school? McGill publicly admitted to subjecting Ontario students to a higher admissions cut-off a few years ago. My guidance counsellor told me that out West most kids take AP exams so they are automatically placed ahead of Eastern/Central applicants. What do you think? As an Ontario student really hoping to get into UBC it makes me kinda nervous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
As far as I know, AP and IB are no more common out West than they are in Ontario. BC and Alberta both have provincial "diploma" exams - a single final exam that everyone in the province taking certain courses must write. Maybe that's what your guidance counselor was thinking of.

It's common practice with professional schools, but it's very rare for universities to put out-of-province prospective undergraduate students below in-province students. I've heard that McGill is harsh on Ontario students, but that's about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I've heard rumors that Ontario students might be treated more harshly due to rampant grade inflation, but they're just rumours. A common diploma exam tends to cut down on inflation, hence why the other provinces might be treated better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of frozenyogurt frozenyogurt
LOL It's ridiculous how inflated grade 12 Ontario grades are. I know, because I used to live in Ontario and know many people there. When asked these people their current marks, and I mean people who used to have 70s in grade 9, their mark now is in the 90s. I legit don't know a single person whose mark is below 85 in Ontario. But I'm not complaining, I have a 96% and I am in ALBERTA. I think a 96% in Alberta is worth way more than one from Ontario, and I am glad that the universities are coming to terms with this fact and making the system a lot more fair.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
No. Look at last year's cut offs for Ontario vs. other provinces. Its on McGills website. It's the same.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
Course load plays a factor
Was this helpful? Yes 0