yconic - The U of B.C.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

The U of B.C.

A photo of Justin604 Justin604
Hey just want to confirm with other B.C. students out here:

UBC does not have early admissions this year?
We self-report our term 2 marks for admission consideration in March only?
What happens with our term 1 marks?

For those in the human kinetics faculty at UBC, how are you guys liking the program? What do you guys do? How was the Broad-Based Admission process?

Last thing, UVIC early admissions occurs in phases right? Phase 1 over, and phase 2 starting again in February 1st? We just submit our grade 11 marks to see if we make it in or not ?

Cheers

Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of firmament104 firmament104
I'm not sure about UBC, but for UVic you've got it right. Phase one finished in November sometime. Phase two starts in Feb I believe. You self-report your gr 11 marks of required courses, then you wait for an offer. One thing: Be sure when you self-report that you choose the right faculty you are applying for. Otherwise, the courses that show up for reporting won't be the right ones.
Still waiting to report my gr. 12 marks.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

firmament104 , have you applied to UVic yet? Do you have any information bout the Human Kinetics/Kinesiology program ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I applied early November and got my conditional offer two weeks later. To give you an idea of averages: I had an 89% average for gr. 11 and got a conditional offer of 67%.

I haven't researched that program, so I don't know much about it. I'm enrolled in the faculty of social sciences while taking BCcom pre-requisites.

I'd suggest looking on the faculty web page.

http://education2.uvic.ca/PHED/kinesiology.htm

Don't be afraid to contact them. I've been discussing options with the faculty of business. You can learn a lot about the program that way.

UVic has a decent science program. However, if it's really important to you to be at a prestigious school, I'd suggest also looking at SFU (yes, SFU) and UBC as they both have well-known programs for what you are looking for.

UVic is certainly a well-respected school as well.

A friend of mine is taking a 4 year program at VIU then going to UBC to complete the kinesiology program. That is another option as well. Start in a smaller, less expensive school then move up if desired.

Where do you live in BC right now? I live on the island, so I know more about the universities here, like VIU and UVic. The mainland ones I have researched are UBC and SFU.

What other factors are you looking at to decide which school to go to? (ie/ how close it is, class sizes etc)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh nice congrats on the offer! for gr.11 marks, they look at the ones required for the program of choice I guess?

SCIENCE

English 11
Principles of Mathematics 11 or Pre-calculus 11
Chemistry 11
Physics 11
Social Studies 11

Haha yeah SFU and UBC. From the lower mainland, you thinking bout moving over here for school ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks! Now I have to look for a place to live lol.

Yes, they only look at the ones required for your program. When you self-report there's a drop-down menu where you choose what faculty you've chosen. That's where you have to be careful to choose the right one.

I know UBC is super competitive as far as getting in. The cut-off for commerce was 90% or somewhere around there for last year.

So would you be closer to UBCO or Vancouver? SFU has another campus in Surrey too. Have you visited any of the campuses? That was my biggest decision factor seeing as I'm not really looking at a specific program right now.

I was thinking about moving...but I don't know if it's worth it for me to. Are you seriously considering moving to VI?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Haha sweet thanks for the info. Yeah I heard commerce is super tough to get in. I'm closer to Vancouver. The UBC Vancouver campuses is by far the nicest. I've thought about going to UVIC since it is just a boat ride over. Haha not sure yet!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
If you go there and call it the U of BC you will be shot. :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
U of B Columbia?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
U of B Columbia?

That's the spirit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote
If you go there and call it the U of BC you will be shot. :batman:

Haha I just got it off the SFU website, http://business.sfu.ca/news/post.php?id=1739 !

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@Zion wrote

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
U of B Columbia?

That's the spirit.

Indeed...

UBC science is math12,english12,science12,any12

SFU takes math12,english12,science12,science12
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@VegaKrazmych wrote