yconic - The...Future? Help? Advice? Please?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

The...Future? Help? Advice? Please?

A photo of NatashaForever NatashaForever
ALL RIGHT.
So basically I'm a grade 12 student, who's going to apply for university, soon. As in this weekend maybe. But I need some advice.
Soooo I've always thought I would go into science, however I discovered I suck at math.
So I dropped the only math course I had, Advanced Functions, since I was getting a 61 by midterms.

Sooo I can still apply to very few science programs (Health Science - Health studies major at Waterloo, Kinesiology at Western)

However I'm not sure how math heavy those programs are. I've heard from my physics teacher from last year (I did horrible in that course) that kinesiology is all physics. If that's the case, I feel like I shouldn't apply since it's pointless. Although the prereqs are only English and Biology.

Otherwise I'm going for an Arts major. I could always go for law afterwards. Psychology really interests me, or even a B.A. in health studies.

Here are the courses I'm currently taking, and my marks as of now:
ENG4U0 - 83
HZT4U0 - 87
SBI4U0 - 76

Next semester I have:
Chemistry, Canadian and International Law, French and Photography. I'm pretty sure I can get mid 80s in everything, except maybe Chemistry...that'll probably be in the 70s, but if I try hard enough an 80.

Ahhh opinions would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Kinesiology is definitely not all physics. Mostly biology. I don't know what crack your teacher was smoking to think that. I could definitely see some physics involved in higher level kin research, but not at the undergrad level.

Start thinking about what sort of career you want, then see what degree you need. Simple as that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox
i would recommend taking functions again and calculus/vectors as well. calculus/vectors opens a lot of doors in university. several of the social sciences even require it, and i believe it is recommended for psychology.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NatashaForever NatashaForever
Thanks ktel, for letting me know that kinesiology is mostly biology based!

Madox, I don't think I could get a good mark in any math course, I've struggled throughout my life. But I'll consider it. Thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nirvie nirvie

@NatashaForever wrote

However I'm not sure how math heavy those programs are. I've heard from my physics teacher from last year (I did horrible in that course) that kinesiology is all physics. If that's the case, I feel like I shouldn't apply since it's pointless. Although the prereqs are only English and Biology.

At Waterloo, at least, Kinesiology requires at least one physics, stats and calculus/vectors class in your first/second year, which likely means you'll need to use all 3 throughout higher level courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@nirvie wrote

@NatashaForever wrote

At Waterloo, at least, Kinesiology requires at least one physics, stats and calculus/vectors class in your first/second year, which likely means you'll need to use all 3 throughout higher level courses.

Not necessarily. I took chem and stats in my undergrad and sure did not use it very often.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Kinesiology is sort of a jumble of courses together. Chemistry, biology, physics as it relates to the body. And not... anatomy. Just the body. In general.

Why don't you go for that and then law, then? Do you write a mean essay? Are you a good debater?
Was this helpful? Yes 0