yconic - There is always a good future!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

There is always a good future!

A photo of dancecubed dancecubed
Hey guys, how are you? I know that acceptances are starting to roll around the corner and it's around that time that you become more anxious, just waiting on those acceptances. I just want to let all of you know that I have been there and I know exactly how all of you feel.

Last year, I applied to Schulich, Laurier BBA and Ryerson BComm. I was almost 100% certain that I was going to get into Schulich based on my marks alone. I had a 91% average at the time the second round of acceptances were going out. At this time, I had already been accepted to Laurier (Plan B), Ryerson (Plan C) and was waiting impatiently for my acceptance to Schulich.

Well, I didn't get accepted.

Yeah. The reason now is pretty clear: My extracurricular activities were lacking! But, at this point, I was pretty much devastated. My #1 choice was out of reach and there was absolutely no way I was going to get into the school. I was complacent with my acceptance to Laurier though. I knew that Laurier was still a good school, but due to absolutely terrible circumstances, I was not able to go to Laurier for financial reasons.

This left me with Ryerson, my plan C.

At this point, I was pretty much distraught. I thought I was screwed because I was left going to a "third tier" business school...

Of course, now I love being here.

The Ryerson Commerce Frosh was a great way to network and I'm having a great experience here. I've joined awesome organizations that are giving me experience in the field I want to go into. I'm learning about how to run a business and am helping entrepreneurs with their projects. If there was anything I was looking for, this is it.

This isn't about me though, this is about all of you!

I hope that all of you get accepted to your number one programs. I would hope that it would happen for everybody, but that isn't reality. Some will, some won't, and that's life. But don't take it out on yourself if you didn't make it into your first choice. Take what you have and make the best you can out of it! There are many great universities and we should be fortunate to have access to all of these schools. If you make it into your first choice, that's awesome! Keep on working it and you'll be fine!

Just remember that you can be who you want and you can achieve what you aspire to achieve no matter where you go. It's all up to you, and even though the cards you're dealt may not be what you expected, you may still play them in your favor and win.

Good luck everybody! I hope for the best from all of you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@dancecubed wrote

Just remember that you can be who you want and you can achieve what you aspire to achieve no matter where you go. It's all up to you, and even though the cards you're dealt may not be what you expected, you may still play them in your favor and win.

Absolutely beautiful words!! Thanks for an excellent, inspirational post :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Alizarin wrote

@dancecubed wrote

Absolutely beautiful words!! Thanks for an excellent, inspirational post :compress:

Of course. :) Everyone deserves their best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superdupercool superdupercool
Do you mind telling us what your ECs were when you were rejected?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@superdupercool wrote
Do you mind telling us what your ECs were when you were rejected?

Terrible! I had absolutely no business related ECs. Most of it was just small things that I volunteered for and awards that I had won.

It's pretty funny now that I look back at it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LWilliams LWilliams
Well, it doesn't matter where you go for your undergrad. Plus, I hear Ryerson is putting ALOT of funding into their business programs so your program is going to get better and better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@dancecubed wrote

Good One! its soo true
Was this helpful? Yes 0