yconic - Thinking Long Term - The Choice between UTSG LIfe Science vs York Biomedical Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Thinking Long Term - The Choice between UTSG LIfe Science vs York Biomedical Science

A photo of Gobi2 Gobi2
Hi guys, I'm a grade 12 Ontario high school student who's boiled down my choices to UTSG Life Science and York Biomedical Science. My other options were Waterloo Life Science (Co-op), McMaster Life Sciences, and UTSC Co-op Science, but I feel like I really want to stay in Toronto and I prefer UTSG over UTSC at the moment, but that could change as my mind tends to change everyday on this topic. Also, I have heard that undergraduate education seems quite even throughout Ontario and it won't make as significant an impact as post-grad.

However, I'm having a really tough time picking between UTSG Life Science and York Biomedical Science and I've made some points between the two. Both are roughly equidistant from my house by bus so commuting will not affect my decision. Here's how I've broken it down:

UTSG Life Science
Pros
[LIST]
[*]Deemed as prestigious
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Many modules of choice to pursue after 1st year
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Heart of Downtown
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Extra motivation since I am aware it is likely the most difficult program for life science in Ontario
[/LIST]

Cons
[LIST]
[*]Bell-curve system appears to cause many people struggles
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Difficulty seems unparalleled to other programs
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Possibility of pursuing a Masters, MD, etc seems lower from what I've heard
[/LIST]

York University
Pros
[LIST]
[*]$4000 scholarship in first year, $2000 in following years if grades are maintained
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Program is designed more freely to take a greater amount of electives
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Better chance at a higher GPA
[/LIST][LIST]
[*]Recently opened a brand new $70 million Life Sciences building
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Possibility of pursuing a Masters, MD, etc seems greater in a strictly academic sense (GPA)
[/LIST]

Cons
[LIST]
[*]Not located in a prime area that will help with research connections
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Possibly less motivation if I feel that I lost an opportunity with UTSG
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Not as prestigious
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Facilities aren't like UofT
[/LIST]

These are a FEW, yet major points that I have come up with and I'm sure there are many more that I haven't thought of at this moment. If anyone chose these programs, it would be greatly appreciated if you shared you experience. I'm trying to make a well-informed and SMART decision that will set me up well in the long term as I have heard many times that a Bachelors degree in Science (especially Life Science) won't take you that far. I realize that I will have to pursure a post grad route whether it is a Masters, medical school, pharmacy school, post-grad certificate, etc and I want to know what is the BEST possible path to take. I am not afraid of handling a workload, I just want to know which path would be the best in your opinion to maximize my options.

P.S. I'm aware these are your opinions and I will take them as what they are, your opinions. I would just like some insight from those who have had this dilemma before. Thank you very much for your responses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
0 replies