yconic - Thinking of apply for Rotman Commerce
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Thinking of apply for Rotman Commerce

A photo of cocoappleli cocoappleli
I'm thinking of apply for Rotman Commerce. I hope I will get at least high 80s by the end of semester 1, or if everything goes well, I might even get at least 90... Let's just assume I end up getting high 80s, will I still be accepted to Rotman? I know that higher marks are always better, but things have not gone as well as I planned, so my marks are a bit low, but I'll try my best to get 90% average if I can.

What's an ideal mark I should get for Rotman that will make me pretty much guarenteed an acceptance?
Also, I know that I need to submit the personal statemnt. What is it about exactly? I know I need to write an essay, what are the general topics of the essay?

For people who applied and got accepted to Rotman Commerce, can you please share some advices with me about applying and anything in general?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Ideally it should be above 90.

In fact, having above a 90 will give you a chance at almost every business program in Ontario. But, you're not out of the realm of possibility if you're in the high 80's. Specifically for Rotman, I do know that people with much higher marks (95 neighbourhood) have been rejected, so sometimes it seems a bit arbitrary.

The questions are pretty general. They'll ask you about how you're a good leader, how you made risks, how you fixed a problem, how you were involved in the community, etc. Not too many curve ball questions in business supplementaries. Last year, they gave you an option out of three questions (which were pretty much the same question). Here was the one I answered:

- How have you demonstrated leadership outside of the classroom?

I think that in business more than many other fields, your marks don't matter as much as your EC's.

My advice would be to oversell yourself. Challenge the integrity of the application office and make bold claims about how you're an outstanding student. Do you really believe that they will call and e-mail every one of your references? Get creative and make the calls long distance for them! U of T loves money and being frugal with money and having to pay to make sure someone's claim is true may be the breaking point for this fine academic institution. (side note, U of T is notorious for accepting a large amount of students into university, taking their money, and cutting them by making their programs difficult)

Cast away your moral reservations and your conservative view about yourself, because you have to be aware that everyone else applying to your program of choice is going to do the same thing. Try to add some personality in your supplementaries, but don't go overboard. Cliches are cliches because they work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014
U can get into Rotman Commerce with 85%.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

@onlymatthew wrote
Ideally it should be above 90.

In fact, having above a 90 will give you a chance at almost every business program in Ontario. But, you're not out of the realm of possibility if you're in the high 80's. Specifically for Rotman, I do know that people with much higher marks (95 neighbourhood) have been rejected, so sometimes it seems a bit arbitrary.

The questions are pretty general. They'll ask you about how you're a good leader, how you made risks, how you fixed a problem, how you were involved in the community, etc. Not too many curve ball questions in business supplementaries. Last year, they gave you an option out of three questions (which were pretty much the same question). Here was the one I answered:

- How have you demonstrated leadership outside of the classroom?

I think that in business more than many other fields, your marks don't matter as much as your EC's.

My advice would be to oversell yourself. Challenge the integrity of the application office and make bold claims about how you're an outstanding student. Do you really believe that they will call and e-mail every one of your references? Get creative and make the calls long distance for them! U of T loves money and being frugal with money and having to pay to make sure someone's claim is true may be the breaking point for this fine academic institution. (side note, U of T is notorious for accepting a large amount of students into university, taking their money, and cutting them by making their programs difficult)

Cast away your moral reservations and your conservative view about yourself, because you have to be aware that everyone else applying to your program of choice is going to do the same thing. Try to add some personality in your supplementaries, but don't go overboard. Cliches are cliches because they work.

So they look at both your marks and your personal profile?
For the personal statement, do you only need to answer the essay question, or do you also need to make a list of all the extra curriculars you did?
Also, I know that they're probably looking for "something special" in the personal statement, since people with 95 even got rejected... What exactly are they looking for?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Yep, they look at both marks and your supplementary application.

For the personal statement, there is only an essay question. There isn't a list of EC's, although you should mention them in paragraph form in your essay.

Don't worry about the something special part. Stick to getting a low 90s/high 80s average and a good, solid supplementary rather than worrying about not having an excellent one. Their personal statement is pretty much a joke compared to some of the other schools :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
Yep, they look at both marks and your supplementary application.

For the personal statement, there is only an essay question. There isn't a list of EC's, although you should mention them in paragraph form in your essay.

Don't worry about the something special part. Stick to getting a low 90s/high 80s average and a good, solid supplementary rather than worrying about not having an excellent one. Their personal statement is pretty much a joke compared to some of the other schools :(

The thing is, I'm taking English, and there's pretty much no way I can get a 90 in that class, so I'll just assume I'll get 85% or somewhere around there by January. I'm also taking Sports Marketing, and I'll probably get at least a 90% by the end, which is good. But the problem is Data Management... Right now I'm getting 87%, and I seriously have no idea what I'm going to get in the end... It doesn't make sense to me how last year (grade 11) I took Advanced Functions and got 98%, while right now I'm taking Data Management and only getting 87%... This is mainly what I'm worried about...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mundane12321 mundane12321
honestly, i dont understand why you're worried, because people with like 84% get into rotman commerce.
Last last year, rotman accepted a lot of people who didn't even write their supplementary essays, but i heard that they became more strict about the supplementary essay this year... But i met a girl who didn't write it and still got in. Her average was 88%.
If anything you should try to get into good colleges. it's hard to get into those.. like trinity or victoria
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Yeah, don't worry about your average for Rotman. It should be fine. Like mundane said, consider what college you want to be part of.

May I ask what other programs you're applying for? And why you want to go to Rotman?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
Yeah, don't worry about your average for Rotman. It should be fine. Like mundane said, consider what college you want to be part of.

May I ask what other programs you're applying for? And why you want to go to Rotman?

I'm also thinking of applying for the management & accounting program and schulich if my marks are high enough.
I'm interested in social sciences, too... so I'm going to apply for psychology and criminology, too.
I'm actually worried not only about my marks, but also about the personal statement...
For the college rankings, if for some reason you can't go to one college, do they automatically put you in another one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

I'm also thinking of applying for the management & accounting program and schulich if my marks are high enough.
I'm interested in social sciences, too... so I'm going to apply for psychology and criminology, too.
I'm actually worried not only about my marks, but also about the personal statement...
For the college rankings, if for some reason you can't go to one college, do they automatically put you in another one?

lol learn how to write coherent before writing the personal statement
As for college ranking, If you don't make it to your first choice, they automatically put you in a random college.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mundane12321 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

As for college ranking, If you don't make it to your first choice, they automatically put you in a random college.

Learn how to write coherent?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cocoappleli wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

Your writing is all over the place. However with that being said, UofT doesn't even read the supplementary essay. They just check if you did it or not. You sound so paranoid lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mundane12321 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

Your writing is all over the place. However with that being said, UofT doesn't even read the supplementary essay. They just check if you did it or not. You sound so paranoid lol

I write better in essays etc. So if they don't look at the supplementary, does it mean that everything is pretty much based on marks? Then why is it that some people with high 90's didn't even get in, while people in the 80's did?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cocoappleli wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

I write better in essays etc. So if they don't look at the supplementary, does it mean that everything is pretty much based on marks? Then why is it that some people with high 90's didn't even get in, while people in the 80's did?

exactly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mundane12321 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@mundane12321 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

exactly.

Do I need to worry if I can't get 90's as my average on my report card? What is an ideal mark to achieve (other than 90%)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Really, don't worry about your average. It's fine. (: Those people with 95 averages who got rejected from Rotman are just outliers, or they're lying. It's pretty rare.

And yep, for colleges, you rank them in your order of preference. If you don't get into #1, they go down the list.

Which management and accounting program are you talking about? I wasn't aware that UofT had a program like that. I know there's a masters of management and public accounting, but no undergrad programs called that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
Really, don't worry about your average. It's fine. (: Those people with 95 averages who got rejected from Rotman are just outliers, or they're lying. It's pretty rare.

And yep, for colleges, you rank them in your order of preference. If you don't get into #1, they go down the list.

Which management and accounting program are you talking about? I wasn't aware that UofT had a program like that. I know there's a masters of management and public accounting, but no undergrad programs called that.

Everyone's saying that I don't need to worry about my marks, but honestly, if I don't get at least a 90% average on my report card, I would just keeping worrying about it until I finally get accepted...
What is a mark (other than 90%) that is pretty much guarenteed to get in to Rotman Commerce and Management & Accounting?

The Management & Accoutning course is at the Scarborough campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
You mean UTSC Management? That's a pretty good program. Maybe even better than Rotman if you get into co-op management.

What's a mark other than 90 that will guarantee admission to Rotman? I think that if you're in the 89+ range (or maybe even 88+) you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
You mean UTSC Management? That's a pretty good program. Maybe even better than Rotman if you get into co-op management.

What's a mark other than 90 that will guarantee admission to Rotman? I think that if you're in the 89+ range (or maybe even 88+) you should be fine.

I'll hope for the best, but they probably won't give me offeres until April or May, since I have calculus next semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0