yconic - This decision is really tough...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

This decision is really tough...

A photo of Fasih Fasih
Ok so I have a choice between three universities and it is really tough and everytime I try to think about it I get really depressed lol

These are my three choices

1) University of Waterloo - Computer Science Honours, Regular (Got rejected from Co-Op but they say I can apply for it after first year. When they say "apply" its not guaranteed I am in the Co-Op program?)
2) McMaster Software Engineering (This is the program I wanted to go into, only at Waterloo but they rejected me)
3) University of Toronto - Electrical and Computer Engineering - Software
(This last choice is a little worrying since I've heard that many people flunk out after first year. I don't have a stellar average, its an 88, so I'm not sure if going here would be wise as I might flunk out first year as a lot of people have told me how hard it is)

Can anyone comment on any of these? I would really need some help since the deadline to accept is getting near...

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of Fasih Fasih
No but I really should have. I didn't think of it at the time I was applying. Too late now.

On OUAC the Computer Science Co-Op at St.George is not closed. Does that mean i can still apply?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Fasih Fasih
I don't know if I want to go to Waterloo if I don't get Co-Op.
I really wanted to do Software Engineering or ECE-Software, so I guess its down to McMaster or UfT
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caesar caesar
You will need to be in a great standing if you're expecting to transfer into co-op. Be wary of how difficult the first year of Waterloo Computer Science will be (see the course outline) and understand that it will be no easy feat.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fasih Fasih

@caesar wrote
You will need to be in a great standing if you're expecting to transfer into co-op. Be wary of how difficult the first year of Waterloo Computer Science will be (see the course outline) and understand that it will be no easy feat.

Did you get into CompSci co-op? Looking at your sig lol :P

Yeah that was what I was afraid of... the difficult course. I heard UW Math is a killer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
88% is very stellar. It's what I got too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rawrawraw rawrawraw
well ECE at U of T is internationally ranked to be top 20 (google it :D) I am not sure how well CS at Waterloo is ranked but i know that McMaster isnt ranked for anything except maybe health science. So id choose either ECE at U of T or CS at waterloo, but keep in mind that CS people have to work extra hard to keep up with new technology/software.

P.S. I am sure you can still get a co - op position at waterloo even if it doesnt say you're guaranteed one. However, it might be unpaid co - op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fasih Fasih

@rawrawraw wrote
well ECE at U of T is internationally ranked to be top 20 (google it :D) I am not sure how well CS at Waterloo is ranked but i know that McMaster isnt ranked for anything except maybe health science. So id choose either ECE at U of T or CS at waterloo, but keep in mind that CS people have to work extra hard to keep up with new technology/software.

P.S. I am sure you can still get a co - op position at waterloo even if it doesnt say you're guaranteed one. However, it might be unpaid co - op.

They're ranked in the top 100 in engineering (McMaster) worldwide

This is tough. I never expected the decision to be this tough, really because my number one choice rejected me :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rawrawraw rawrawraw

@Fasih wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

They're ranked in the top 100 in engineering (McMaster) worldwide

This is tough. I never expected the decision to be this tough, really because my number one choice rejected me :\

are they? Mcmaster wasnt on any of the lists ive been looking at. But U of T is consistently top 10-15.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mig Mig
Don't waste too much time with rankings, most of them are probably not what you are interested in anyways (they heavily consider research volume and quality , something you may not be too interested in). What do you want to do after undergrad? Are you interested in becoming a professional engineer, do you want to pursue grad school? These are the questions you want to ask. Best of luck man!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You really should have been accepted, 88% should be more than enough for Waterloo CS. I got early acceptance with only my grade 11 marks (which averaged around 87-88%). But I'm a girl so I suppose that may have contributed to my early acceptance :/

Personally, Waterloo's coop program is really the biggest reason I'm going there, the coop for CS at Waterloo is where they really shine. I believe their CS curriculum is comparable to many other universities. Considering how hard it is to switch from non-coop to coop, I would cross Waterloo off the list.

I hear Mcmaster has a good reputation for computer science, they have even placed better than Waterloo students in some computing contests. Their coop program is not stellar though, but I'm quite sure if you're determined you can find a coop placement. In terms of atmosphere, I liked Mcmaster's community much better than UT however I hear Engineering in UT is very tight knit.

UT has a great international reputation so if you want to do grad school outside of Canada it's the place to go. But it seems you want to do software engineering not electrical and I'm not really sure what electrical engineering with software specialization is. I suppose it would be pretty easy to transfer from electrical engineering to computer science in UT though (don't quote me on that). UT is in downtown so if you're a city person, that's a nice perk right there. In terms of difficulty, I'm guessing it's on par with UW engineering though I really have no clue.

Hope that helped :) and I'm really sorry you didn't get into CS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c1 c1
U of T has the best reputation from your list. Last year, many of my friends dreamed about your U of T program, but they were rejected...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inyoface inyoface

@Impasse wrote

UT has a great international reputation so if you want to do grad school outside of Canada it's the place to go. But it seems you want to do software engineering not electrical and I'm not really sure what electrical engineering with software specialization is. I suppose it would be pretty easy to transfer from electrical engineering to computer science in UT though (don't quote me on that). UT is in downtown so if you're a city person, that's a nice perk right there. In terms of difficulty, I'm guessing it's on par with UW engineering though I really have no clue.

Hope that helped :) and I'm really sorry you didn't get into CS.

There is no such thing at UofT. Regardless of whether you are enrolled in "electrical engineering" or "computer engineering", at the end of the day you are given a degree depending on which discipline you took the most courses in. If you are enrolled in electrical engineering, you may graduate as a computer engineer by taking more computer courses.

HOWEVER, it is possible to take roughly equal number of courses in both, after which you will have a choice as to which label you want. And no you can't be both.

As to whether you can transfer into CS. I suppose you can do so in your early years, but be prepared to be forced to take extra courses to catch up on whatever CS courses you missed. Personally I would not switch from computer engineering into CS because I can't see any reasons to do so.

Just as a last comment, engineering is not an easy program at any school. If you are even remotely basing your decisions on how "easy" a program is, I would discourage you from going into engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fasih Fasih
No not at all. I'm really afraid of the tough courses ahead but also excited. I am in no way basing my decision on which one's easier except for UofT since I have friends who went there and told me their experience with Calculus I, which apparently is the toughest course for Engineering level 1.

I'm really not considering grad school, all I really want is a degree in software.

As for Waterloo, I doubt ill go there if I'm not in Co-Op because then there's no point really...
Was this helpful? Yes 0