yconic - This is confusing
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

This is confusing

A photo of AlexB1993 AlexB1993
I just received an acceptance letter from McMaster saying that I've been accepted to their Life Science's program and that I have until June 2nd to make up my mind. It even mentioned that I'll receive the "official" admission information and materials via post mail. Now, my question is, is this conditional/early acceptance or is it OFFICIAL? My school isn't semestered so they only had a look at my completed grade 11 and 12 courses. I've only completed 4 grade 12 courses (Politics, Challenge and Change, Latin 3, and Foundations in Literature) but the rest of my grade 12 marks are merely "midterm" marks. In the e-mail, it doesnt say anything about it being an early acceptance, IE they don't tell me to maintain a certain average.

The prerequisites (IE the marks I sent in)

Chemistry 12 (88%)
Calculus (83%)
Biology 12 (93%)
English 12 (86%)
Studies in Ancient Civlization (89%)
Philosophy (90%)

But neither of these courses are completed! This is completely baffling me. What if my final mark in these courses are 50s and 60s? Would I still get in. HEEEELP!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Haru Haru
This is definitely conditional.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Haru Haru
Not all of them say that though. For all the ones I got accepted to, none of them have yet told me what average I need to maintain. It would make sense for it to be conditional right now since you have not completed all your Gr. 12 courses including your prerequisites. My admissions also said that i'll receive an "official" offer of admissions package later.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They said that I'd receive the offical package of admission in a few days...-.-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
I don't know about you, but I just got accepted to uWaterloo today and it said on their email:
"In the next few weeks, you'll receive an offer package in the mail. Your package will include your official Offer of Admission along with scholarship and residence details, if applicable. "

However, on Quest, it indicates a "Conditional Admission" which means I'll have to keep up some sort of standing.

Besides, why be confused over this? Just be happy you got an offer and maintain what you have. It shouldn't be that hard considering you've already reached the goal. Plus they're not going to take back your offer if you drop by 2-3% anyway so there's nothing to worry about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I've got it all sorted out, thanks for the help.

"If you are a secondary school applicant who receives a conditional offer of admission, you will be required to achieve an overall average (on six (6) final grades including all required courses for your desired program) as indicated on your offer of conditional admission.

If your final average falls below this level (or its equivalent), your offer of admission will be rescinded and your registration will be cancelled.

The required minimum final average will vary from year to year and by program. This average will be stated clearly on the offer of conditional admission. "

The minimum average is mid 80s and I'll definitely have that.

Quick question: My school is NOT semestered. It has terms which lead up to a final grade in June. I'm in second term and I'm not doing well in Calculus (70s). However, second term is only 15% of the year which is negligible, so that means that I'll still be able to maintain a 80%+ as my final mark. The fact that I do poorly in second term shouldn't affect me drastically, right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
Even though it's only worth 15% of the year, doing poorly may jeopardize some scholarship opportunities. If i were you, I'd just keep up my work right now just in case something random comes up. In fact, I would even recommend you to pull your marks up even higher so that you can be considered for entrance scholarships. But in terms of offers, I think as long as you meet the minimum requirement for specific courses (eg calc has to be above 75% - i made this up) as well as the final average, you'll be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of catcrazy catcrazy
I just got a letter telling me I got an entrence scholarship, but I have not yet recieved a letter telling me I have been conditionally accepted. Is it a given?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
If it was a major scholarship, then yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711

@AlexB1993 wrote
I just received an acceptance letter from McMaster saying that I've been accepted to their Life Science's program and that I have until June 2nd to make up my mind. It even mentioned that I'll receive the "official" admission information and materials via post mail. Now, my question is, is this conditional/early acceptance or is it OFFICIAL? My school isn't semestered so they only had a look at my completed grade 11 and 12 courses. I've only completed 4 grade 12 courses (Politics, Challenge and Change, Latin 3, and Foundations in Literature) but the rest of my grade 12 marks are merely "midterm" marks. In the e-mail, it doesnt say anything about it being an early acceptance, IE they don't tell me to maintain a certain average.

The prerequisites (IE the marks I sent in)

Chemistry 12 (88%)
Calculus (83%)
Biology 12 (93%)
English 12 (86%)
Studies in Ancient Civlization (89%)
Philosophy (90%)

But neither of these courses are completed! This is completely baffling me. What if my final mark in these courses are 50s and 60s? Would I still get in. HEEEELP!

Congrats!
The only difference between early acceptance and regular acceptance is that one happens earlier than the other. Both are official and both are conditional.

i.e. If you get an offer in May and accept it before June 2nd, you still have to meet certain conditions, otherwise they can still take away your offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0