yconic - Those going into CS... What kind of salary are you expecting upon graduating?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Those going into CS... What kind of salary are you expecting upon graduating?

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I'm wondering if the expense of going to UW would be worth it.
What are the chances of landing a good job anyways?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

This post was deleted

@pepper wrote
The reason it is so expensive is because a job is almost a guarantee, especially if you take co-op. I would say you could expect to earn 60,000 in your first year out maybe even more if you work for google, or blackberry or something like that.

I don't know, maybe we're just falling for the hype.

Who here actually knows a lot of UW CS grads? How are they doing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper
maybe but there is still a reason that computer science and engineering are not regulated by the government. Its because your expected to get a job right away and be able to pay off your loans unlike other programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@pepper wrote
The reason it is so expensive is because a job is almost a guarantee, especially if you take co-op. I would say you could expect to earn 60,000 in your first year out maybe even more if you work for google, or blackberry or something like that.

dont give out statistics when youre not even a student here.

in your first coop term, you can be expected to have a job that pays 12-22 dollars, totally depending on your skills and the company and the job of course. the average is 16 dollars for cs and engineering students.

please do not expect to get a job with google unless you have done open source, won a CS contest, or have a lot of relevant work experience ALONG with fairly good marks.

since youll be working for 4 months, you will earn a total of around 10000-12000 dollars if you get an average hrly rate. Yes it will be worth it in the end, your pay goes up after every work term.

the chances of getting a job in first year are usually 90%+ for cs students, currently its only 72% (as of april 14) but there are still a few weeks left til may. most people get a job if they have 1 or more of these 3: good marks, past relevant work experience, just simply great interview skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@pepper wrote

Wow. Nothing else can be said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@johnnycanuck wrote

@pepper wrote

Wow. Nothing else can be said.

lmao i was just about to say that.
pepper: did you mean RIM? =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

aimango - Have you done co-op yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CYYZ24ILS CYYZ24ILS
Unsure how it goes at Waterloo for co-op, but at UofT you can go into PEY (professional experience year), its basically a year long internship that pays about 30-45 thousand. This is your "ticket" to landing a job that will pay 50k+ upon graduating, otherwise most graduates will start around 40-45k upon graduating and work their way up, unless they get lucky/have stellar marks/extras, based on what I've heard from my peers and profs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Are PEY and UW co-op both full-time? Like 40 hours per week?

Also, I dunno how accurate this is, but here are some salary stats:
http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Degree=Bachelor_of_Science_%28BS%2fBSc%2fSB%29%2c_Computer_Science_%28CS%29/Salary/by_School
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yes 40 hrs per week is full time.

@Stranger wrote

oing it starting this may. very excited : )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aimango wrote
yes 40 hrs per week is full time.

@Stranger wrote

oing it starting this may. very excited : )

Have you been hired yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Degree=Bachelor_of_Science_%28BS%2fBSc%2fSB%29%2c_Computer_Science_%28CS%29/Hourly_Rate/by_Years_Experience

^ Doesn't seem that great to me. :S .....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ That site is useless IMO.. not all companies send out their statistics o.0

I was hired 1st round, which was a longggg time ago (february). I know a few classmates that still are searching for jobs - which sucks cause it's final exams right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@aimango wrote

please do not expect to get a job with google unless you have done open source, won a CS contest, or have a lot of relevant work experience ALONG with fairly good marks.

LMAO
Funny thing is that most of the kids wanting to go to Waterloo are thinking they will get automatically get into Facebook or Google.
Well at-least that's the case in my school, they don't seem to understand the level of competition.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
In the fall, there were more CS jobs then there were students going for those jobs (that's what I heard in any case, so don't quote me on this). There WERE a lot of CS job, however, and you should have a good shot at finding one. RIM in particular takes a LOT of co-ops.
Was this helpful? Yes 0