yconic - Three or four year degree?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Three or four year degree?

A photo of fogjuice fogjuice
Hi everyone,

I'm coming to the end of my third year at York University, majoring in Political Science. Thus far I've managed to keep a pretty good GPA, receiving A's and B's in most classes. Previous to York, I attended Georgian College in Barrie and completed their two year computer programming diploma program, finishing with a high GPA and making the deans list several times.

Anyway, I'm considering not taking the four year honours degree and just finishing with a three year bachelors. I've racked up quite a large OSAP bill and would like to begin paying it off rather than take another year of school to get an honours degree. The only thing keeping me back is that in a few years, once I've paid down my OSAP, I plan on taking an MBA. In Ontario, most MBA programs require a four year degree.

So my question is this: do you think I would be able to find an MBA program with a fairly decent reputation that would accept a student with a three year bachelors degree provided my GPA was decent? It doesn't necessarily have to be in Ontario, but preferably Canada.

Thanks,

Chris
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
uhm, is it 120 credits or the same amount of courses/credits as a regular 4-year degree?

I'm set to get my BCOMM in 3 years too, but it's technically a "4 year degree" since it has 4 year's worth of courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fogjuice fogjuice
The three year is 90 credits.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin

@fogjuice wrote
The three year is 90 credits.

In that case it'll depend on the program. They usually consider them on a case-by-case basis, such as Sauder. To be safe perhaps just stick with a 4-year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peterv peterv
doesn't OSAP limit total amount of repayable debt to $29 200 or something like that for 4 year degree?

but in either case, go with the three year. and then get your MBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0