yconic - TIPS for studying for advanced functions exam
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

TIPS for studying for advanced functions exam

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
I really need to get at least high 80s to not bomb my average. How do you guys prepare for math exams?

I've noticed a lot of the years I am unsuccessful.

Do you set up a schedule, do old tests? how long do you prepare for it? do you just open the book and practice...?

I am trying to find the most effective way of preparing so I remember how to do everything.
Any advice is appreciated.:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of dan031 dan031
The way i'm currently studying is redoing my old tests and circling the answers I couldn't remember how to do. From there, open up your text book and do questions on those topics until you do them with little difficulty.

Remember, (my advanced functions teacher told me this), if it's not important enough to be on a test why would you think it is important enough to be on an exam. <-- of course there are exceptions lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
My teachers are actually EXTREMELY helpful in helping me review. If we're using the same textbook, the chapters build up on previous chapters, so it's good to work at them sequentially. Honestly, it's much too time consuming to go through every question, so just read through the examples. If you don't understand something, sticky note it and remember to come back to it later. Your old tests will give you a good indication of what to expect, but likely, more than one teacher will contribute to your exam. It may be good to "network" and look at the tests from friends in other classes? The math exam is typically easier (at least in my experience), because it covers my breadth than depth, so just try to remember the main concepts.

There's only a few CORE principles in the entire course (polynomials, remainder theorem, inequalities, rational functions, log, solving trig equations) and there's a lot of overlap between each chapter.

On the exam itself, you will get lots of marks for just writing out information and throwing equations at it. If you don't remember how to graph something, plugging whatever points, or even generating random points will help IMMENSELY, and you can even figure out how to do a question on the exam itself.

happy studying :colors:

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I'm aiming to get 100% cause I dropped a mark on my last test. I can only raise it back up if I get perfect. >.> I've never gotten perfect on a math exam before, but I've gotten close to it.
I plan redoing old tests and doing questions on everything we've covered. We've gotten an outline on everything that may be on the exam. If you've gotten an outline, make sure you know how to do everything on it if you want to ace the exam.
I also find it helps to actually understand why we have to use a certain method than just memorizing what we have to do.
Spend more time doing questions you find difficult.
Practice, practice, practice!

I'm probably going to spend over 10 hours studying for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0