yconic - TO ALL ENGINEERING APPLICANTS!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

TO ALL ENGINEERING APPLICANTS!

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx
Hey everyone!

Which universities did you apply to?
Which programs are you interested in?
Did you get any acceptances for engineering?
And if you get accepted to all of your choices, where do you intend to go for fall 2012???

Thankss
Was this helpful? Yes 0
28 replies

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Intend on going to UW for fall 2012! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lisadb lisadb
As of now Waterloo engineering is my top choice! :) But I'm still not sure...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of utkarsh utkarsh
My top choice keeps conflicting between Waterloo and University of Toronto. :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xAnthonyLeong xAnthonyLeong
I'm hoping to get into McMaster for mechatronics
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So pretty much everyone wants to go to Waterloo for eng? Or either U of T? I'm the same, except Mac is my second choice... U of T is too close to my housee
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CeeVeeCee CeeVeeCee
I want to go to Waterloo for Mechatronics!!!

...i dont think i can wait until may
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 2012Applicant 2012Applicant
Pretty much only Waterloo... That's it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm debating between U of T and Mac
And maybe Western and Queens....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@lisadb wrote
As of now Waterloo engineering is my top choice! :) But I'm still not sure...

Well, I wouldn't go to Waterloo for science (the other two programs you've applied for). Waterloo's science programs are underfunded and very mediocre. I recommend you go to Queen's if you're interested in science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RossGemaco RossGemaco
Applied to Queens for Honors Science and Engineering, and applied to UWO for Engineering
Got accepted to all of those on Friday. Still deciding.....sooo hard. Why couldnt I have only got accepted to one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@StellaSparx wrote
Hey everyone!

Which universities did you apply to?
Which programs are you interested in?
Did you get any acceptances for engineering?
And if you get accepted to all of your choices, where do you intend to go for fall 2012???

Thankss

McGill, U of T, Waterloo for engineering and math (Ivey + McGill for business too)
Not yet, my grade 11 marks were less than stellar and I'm taking 2 prereqs second semester, so I don't see myself getting accepted until April/May
My top choice ATM is Desautels, but recently I've been more attracted to McGill and U of T engineering/math. Waterloo is mostly just a family kind of decision since my brother goes there and whatnot :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Has anyone accepted an offer yet?? Or is everyone waiting til May?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@StellaSparx wrote

I think I might accept after going to UW March Open House.

Anybody know whether accepting an offer will lower your chances of getting accepted to other programs? I kind of want to see if I will get accepted to EngSci :3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ninetyfour wrote

@StellaSparx wrote

Anybody know whether accepting an offer will lower your chances of getting accepted to other programs? I kind of want to see if I will get accepted to EngSci :3

I have no idea. I don't think anyone ever accepts this early (why would you?)
If you accept early enough, maybe OUAC will realize and just cancel all the other applications that you haven't heard back from. Just a guess :/
I don't think anyone should ever accept until they've at least heard back from every school :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
I have no idea. I don't think anyone ever accepts this early (why would you?)
If you accept early enough, maybe OUAC will realize and just cancel all the other applications that you haven't heard back from. Just a guess :/
I don't think anyone should ever accept until they've at least heard back from every school :P

Hahaha yeah that's what I'm afraid of :P
I'll wait for U of T's acceptance/rejection before I accept the UW offer. Just in case lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ninetyfour wrote

@StellaSparx wrote

I read on the OUAC site that accepting an offer won't jeopardize your chances for other programs.

"Accepting an offer of admission from one university will not cancel applications to other universities and/or programs. However, applicants may have only one acceptance of an offer on file at a time."

and you can also cancel acceptances

"If you wish to cancel a previously accepted offer of admission, click the "Accept" button and select 'Cancel'."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Also, does anyone know if Waterloo has second year cut-offs like Mac??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@StellaSparx wrote
Also, does anyone know if Waterloo has second year cut-offs like Mac??

I'm pretty sure you just have to pass is all :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox
my first choice is toronto for track one engineering. better city than waterloo, and since i don't know which engineering i want to do, i think its better for me to do a general first year, which waterloo doesn't offer. also, i like how toronto offers more flexibility and course offerings, and gives me the option of doing a co-op. also, toronto offers the skoll MBA program for engineers, which would allow someone to graduate with a BASc, MBA and i think 2 years of work experience in about 7 years.

so yeah, pretty toronto is the only place I see myself living in for the next 4 years, so its my first choice.

im also debating whether i should do cs instead of engineering at toronto. so yeah, pretty much engineering or cs at toronto. can't really go wrong whether you go to toronto or waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I applied to:
Queen's University - Engineering
University of Waterloo - Electrical Engineering
University of Toronto - Electrical Engineering

I've been accepted to:
Queen's University - Engineering
University of Waterloo - Electrical Engineering

My marks were:
Physics - 87
Advanced Functions - 100
Data Management - 94
Chemistry - 92
Calculus - In Progress (97)
English - In Progress (89)

My first choice was Waterloo. I don't like places that are too urbanized and it kind of reminds me of my current city. Right now I'm trying to decide between Queens and Waterloo though. I mean Queens seems to have a lot more to offer, although I may be ignorant to all the facts right now. My research hasn't reached completion yet. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Also I haven't gotten an offer from U of T so I haven't yet compared it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MrSparkles wrote
My first choice was Waterloo. I don't like places that are too urbanized and it kind of reminds me of my current city. Right now I'm trying to decide between Queens and Waterloo though. I mean Queens seems to have a lot more to offer, although I may be ignorant to all the facts right now. My research hasn't reached completion yet. :P

I'm the same, I don't want to go to U of T cause of the location so my first choice is Waterloo :bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@MrSparkles wrote
I mean Queens seems to have a lot more to offer, although I may be ignorant to all the facts right now. My research hasn't reached completion yet. :P

A lot to offer in what way? You leave that too open-ended for people to give you any advice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS

@MrSparkles wrote

I'm the opposite, I don't want to go to Waterloo because it seems like a very small city. I want to go to U of T because it's very urban and close to home. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Haha I too am one that leans towards small towns, rather than the city. I don't like the downtown chaotic lifestyle. Toronto is much closer to home than Waterloo, which is kind of another reason why I prefer Waterloo. Not to say I'm dying to leave home, I just think that my parents would put me under constant pressure to commute if I went to Toronto, and at Waterloo I would have a little more independence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0