yconic - To ALL Life/Biological/Biomedical Science Students!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

To ALL Life/Biological/Biomedical Science Students!

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid
As more acceptances are coming out every day, let's start to get an idea of what everyone wants to do! This is NOT a place to discuss pre-med plans. Even though most of us are hopeful, let's just stick to the basics:

1. What courses are you most interested in?

2. What do you think your major will be, if you are not in a direct entry program.

3. Do you think you will use some of your electives for physical sciences? or social sciences?

and finally,

4. What are you most/least excited for about going into a Science program?

Personal Responses:
1. I really like Anatomy/Physiology, as well as Evolution and Genetics, on a biological note. I really enjoy Chemistry, but I think I lean towards Biochemistry or just chemical concepts that occur inside cells, tissues, etc.

2. At Mac I'm hoping to go into the "Life Science" major, which is really cool because it draws upon all the departments of Life Science, so you get a good serving of everything - but for the most part, neurological based concepts. At UTM, which I consider my second choice I would like to major in Biology for Health Science which is more streamed towards Human Biological concepts.

3. For the most part, no. I enjoy the concepts of physics and physical chemistry, but I might just take them in first year and that might be it. Social sciences however are a great possibility. I really enjoy learning about cultural issues and evolutionary concepts in Anthropology, and Arts Psychology might be a possibility as well. From what I've heard about science psych, it's not as easy as everyone thinks.

4. Most excited for: A different setting to learn and discover. High school is too small after four years.
Least excited for: The amount of work, and adjusting to a new life style. Hopefully it will all work out though.

Post your answers here!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
1. I'm most interested in anatomy, physiology, homeostasis, those sorts. But I also greatly enjoy organic chemistry :)

2. If I'm not in a program I'll probably be just a biology major but I guess it depends what options I have. If there's an anatomy/cell biology major, I would take that! (I think they offer it at western)

3. I would definitely take a psychology course, at least in first year

4. Most excited just to expand my learning and hopefully accomplish things that I become proud of :) also to meet so many new people since I've been at the same school for 12 years! Least excited for the workload!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I'll tell you what I loved about undergrad life science: the freedom. While all undergrads get about the same amount of freedom, a lot of non-science students are always dealing with essays, seminars, presentations, etc..., so they can't take advantage of their freedom as much. In a lot of my bio courses all I really had to do was study for and write both the midterm and final. No quizzes, no projects, no essays, no labs a lot of the time actually, and class attendance was not required. If someone texts you that a few people are getting together for lunch in 20 minutes, well, it's very easy to clear your schedule and make that happen. Don't feel like rolling out of bed this morning? Don't. Play street hockey or go to class? Play street hockey. It was awesome.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I'll tell you what I loved about undergrad life science: the freedom. While all undergrads get about the same amount of freedom, a lot of non-science students are always dealing with essays, seminars, presentations, etc..., so they can't take advantage of their freedom as much. In a lot of my bio courses all I really had to do was study for and write both the midterm and final. No quizzes, no projects, no essays, no labs a lot of the time actually, and class attendance was not required. If someone texts you that a few people are getting together for lunch in 20 minutes, well, it's very easy to clear your schedule and make that happen. Don't feel like rolling out of bed this morning? Don't. Play street hockey or go to class? Play street hockey. It was awesome.

I notice you're a UWO grad. Help me out here, which module from the BSc and BMSc offers the most interesting courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2012/pg586.html

That website takes you to a list of the programs the Faculty of Science at UWO offers. If you follow a couple links, you'll get to a list of required courses for each program. Honours Specialization in Biology (BSc) and Honours Specialization in Medical Sciences (BMSc) are the two most general programs in their fields, and, thus, are the most likely to give you the freedom to take whatever interests you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DntMessWitRohan DntMessWitRohan
My path seems to be directed primarily at uOttawa at the moment and I see that you have applied there as well! Is your list in order of preference?

As for the questions:

1) Anatomy & Physiology, Cell & Organismal Biology, and perhaps my first year Experimental Psychology class...

2) Not entirely sure, have yet to make up my mind :/

3) Probably not.

4) To be honest, I'm quite tired of being in high school right now. I cannot wait to get out of here and finally experience university life and best of all, a science program! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0