yconic - To all the Prospective Engineering Students!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

To all the Prospective Engineering Students!

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
Hey guys , I'm a first year Engineering Science Student at UofT.

In High school i was so excited to go to UofT. It just sounded perfect!
It's ranked the best university in the world, its located in the heart of downtown and I don't have to pay for rez cause I can commute!

Everything I said there turned out to be false and made me regret my decision.

University of Toronto is an amazing university for the students who love and know what they want to do. The problem was that I never knew what I wanted to do so I just picked the best option.

The only thing I looked at was the rankings. It was the stupidest thing I can do. Every university is good (well maybe not York for Engineering :P ), so it doesn't matter where you go as long as you do good.

A huge mistake I did was to never visit the university, I always just thought and made assumptions in my head how downtown would be like. Well just to let you know, it was nothing like I imagined.

I barely have time to go party caues it takes me forever to commute. All I do is study and just commute.

My best advice is to go to the unviversity during school time, skip your high school classes for one day. Check out all the universites you want to go to and pick the best one.

I learned this so late. I went to Western and when I went there everyone had so much spirit. They all loved it and partied all the time. I regret not applying there, or even checking it out.

UofT is growing on me and I decided to live on residence. I am lucky enough to find a spot available!

Don't do what I did guys or your live will be a living hell. Engineering is so much work load that you will barely have anytime to do anything else. If you commute its even worst cause the time you have left will just go into commuting. The time you go home you will be exhuaseted that you won't want to work. I learned this the hard way.

Live near campus or on res, Engineers will make lots of money so don't be cheap like I was! It's not worth doing bad in school or failing! $125000 is one years tuition so if you lose that, your screwed.

I'll add more later, I have class to go to!

Just learn one thing, go to the unviersity visit it and if it feels right , then go to it! University of Toronto is an awesome school, but its just not me. I'm giving it a shot for one semester or maybe one year then I will decide what I want to do.

Good luck let me know if you have any questions :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
27 replies

A photo of snowbunny snowbunny
What was your gr 11 avg?
When did you get accepted?
How many are in your class or was accepted to Eng Sci?
What was the cut-off mark?
Is the program really hard or ok?
Which res are you living in now and which do you suggest for eng sci student?
Should I do mechanical instead of Eng Sci to get better marks for Masters?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Thanks for posting this, very informative and helpful!

I hope everything works out for you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
Thanks for posting this, and I would also appreciate it if you would answer snowbunny's questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
How viable of an option is EngSci if I'm unsure of what engineering discipline I want?

Would you suggest it over a more general program (e.g. Queens, Mac, TrackOne) if I'm not trying to find research opportunities or attend post-grad (with the possible exception of an MBA)?

Was EngSci your first choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cheers123 cheers123
thank you so much for posting this.
I visited the uni some time ago.
I honestly didn't like it that much but was going to apply for it anyways.
your experience made me slow down and think whether thats what I really want or whether I can cope up with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@snowbunny wrote
What was your gr 11 avg?
When did you get accepted?
How many are in your class or was accepted to Eng Sci?
What was the cut-off mark?
Is the program really hard or ok?
Which res are you living in now and which do you suggest for eng sci student?
Should I do mechanical instead of Eng Sci to get better marks for Masters?

Sorry guys, I looked back like a couple days ago to see if anyone replied and no one did so I thought no one cared :P

I was in the last wave of acceptance. I got early acceptance for Materials Science (my second choice) so I thought I wasn't allowed for eng sci anymore. Then all of a sudden I was checkign for my schulich and rotman acceptance and my status on OUAC said I got accepted to Eng Sci . Amazing feeling :). Last was like in May, and June was deadline

Only two people in my school got in, its a really competitive program. Most people in it are from IB, AP or International.

The cut off was probably 91%+ cause I had a 90% average for my first semester and they didn't accept me. My mid term was 93.5% so then they accepted me with a 91.7% average

The program isn't hard, just alot of work. Well it's hard but everyone works together. didn't take ap or any other special program. I just worked hard in high school and I guess its paying off. I was never just one of those peopel are naturally smart.

I'm getting 70's and 80's so far in all my quizes and assignments which is what I expected. In all engineering disiplines the class average is high 60's or low 70's. No matter what university you go to.

Rez wise honestly I don't know, I just moved in to Vic. Vic is mostly arts students. I think Chestnut and Innis college has the most engineering students.

If your smart and hard working then try Eng Sci. No matter what program you do your gpa will be low unless you work hard. The only good thing about Eng Sci is that it's track one (just on steroids). For people who are kind of confused, it's good because in first year it makes you take courses from every displine, such as chemistry, civil, circuits, programming.

The program has a low retention rate (high drop out rate) , only because people realize they don't want to do Eng sci. They want to be more focused. Eng sci is really really broad feild. Check the 1st and 2nd year courses.

Also, I was kind of a person who always wanted to stand out, so I picked Eng Sci. People treat you differently, it's like your better than others. (It's weird). All Engineering at UofT is good.

I would say if your confused try Eng Sci, if not then just go to Mechanical. Your gpa doesn't matter because that depends on how hard you work not how hard the program is. All Engineering Disiplines are hard, Eng Sci is just more broad, so you have work from every category.

Also, another great thign about Eng sci is that you can switch out of Eng sci without penalty. Any displine :)
But you can never transfer into Eng sci from any other disipline.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh and my grade 11 average was high 80's , prolly around 87-89. For sure it wasn't a 90.

I worked MUCH harder in grade 12 to acheive a 92% average. Like ALOT harder.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
How viable of an option is EngSci if I'm unsure of what engineering discipline I want?

Would you suggest it over a more general program (e.g. Queens, Mac, TrackOne) if I'm not trying to find research opportunities or attend post-grad (with the possible exception of an MBA)?

Well honestly Eng Sci is track one on steroids. It's pretty much the BEST program in UofT , but it's also the hardest. Alot of people drop out, but they go into any other disipline of their choice, that what I think is the best part.

There is no down side of picking Eng Sci.

I would say only pick Eng Sci if you like UofT and you are used to working hard.
I don't mind working hard but I don't like UofT at all, so I'm just giving it a shot for 1 year. Best part about Eng sci is that I can transfer into any other program, so I'm glad I have so many options.

Are you unsure of Engineering in general or just want you want engineering you want?
Honestly, try your best to find out as early as possible. I still don't know what I want :(

PICK THE UNIVERSITY YOU LIKE!
I'm in Love with UWO , i should of went there :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote

To answer your answer more accurately, any engineering program will get you a job. Just work hard and jobs will come to you. The only reason Eng Sci seems like you can only go to grad school and get research jobs is because the people who graduate from Eng Sci are the people who LOVE engineering. They wanna make that their life and just research on it.
You can easily get a job in the work field as well. Also , the ENG sci stats looks alot like research because of their nanotech, biomed and physics option. For these three feilds, there are no jobs but research mainly.

I am like you, I don't want to go into research field or grad school for Engineering. I am looking forward to doing my MBA , so I might do the financial & statistics option. I have a year to decide, and the program is brand new so I hope its good.

I was interested in that option becaues Ill get an iron ring with an amazing business background.

If you just want business, then go to Schulich or Ivey, it will be 100x easier. You don't have to kill yourself working 50 hours a week.

Only do Eng Sci if you like engineering, or science. (I like science more than Engineering)

Go to the informational centres at each university you said your interested in. Get tours around the school and residence. Wherever you feel at home is where you do best. So don't worry about after, worry about now.

I worried about after and my now is screwed :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cheers123 wrote
thank you so much for posting this.
I visited the uni some time ago.
I honestly didn't like it that much but was going to apply for it anyways.
your experience made me slow down and think whether thats what I really want or whether I can cope up with it.

Honestly apply EVERYWHER you think you might like. It will give you so many options (which might confuse you more)

The extra $40 is nothing compared to $12 grand Engineering tution or even the $6 grand arts program.

Just slow down, think where you want to go.

JUST LIVE ON REZ! It is 100x better than commuting :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Do you have any friends/know of any people who have already dropped out after the first few weeks? If you do, do you think they dropped because their marks were too low, or too much work, or too broad, etc.?
Also, are the engsci courses themselves harder than their normal engineering counterparts? (i.e. engsci calculus vs engineering calculus, engsci chemistry vs engineering chemistry)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Update:

Hey guys I just moved into rez, it feels 100x better. I have more time to deal with everything. More time to RELAX!

I would advice everyone to live on rez espacially first year.

Just know your strengths and try to exploit them. I realized I only did good in high school cause I balnced my fun with school. I went clubbing all the time. I never studied on Fridays. I was very social and I have a girlfriend.

Just balance your fun with school. Too much fun will screw you over and make you do bad in school. Too much school will get you depressed and stressed which will also make you do bad in school.!

Balance is key!

Some people in my program LOVE engineering , so their fun is to do their work. In that sense they aren't nerds, they just have a different way of balancing than me.

I was never the smartest in any of my classes in high school but I was always in the top. I never worked that hard to achive the highest mark, but I worked hard to do be in the top. I am doing the same in University and it's working out. So many people are stressing and doing worst than me.

I am content with my 70's and 80's. I feel like I'm average or above average. Just never go below average though!

Do what you guys like, find your strengths. Its key to success. Sometimes you learn that the hard way.

Be a nerd, but don't me a jerk. No one likes a jerk who is smart and thinks they are too good for everyone. Help out and work in groups, you will be social like that and will do better in school. Engineering is a program that you CANNOT do by yourself. So if any you think your too smart for high school then you will get slapped by university. Just imagine 299 more of you in one class. Work hard, party hard and study together!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
Do you have any friends/know of any people who have already dropped out after the first few weeks? If you do, do you think they dropped because their marks were too low, or too much work, or too broad, etc.?
Also, are the engsci courses themselves harder than their normal engineering counterparts? (i.e. engsci calculus vs engineering calculus, engsci chemistry vs engineering chemistry)

See the courses aren't harder, the exams are. Thats just like UofT vs UOIT. The course material is all the same, espacially since they have the same textbook. It's just the exams at uoft are much harder. They do this on purpose because they want their students to think outside the box.

Remember the T/I questions on every test, that one question which was so fucking hard that you would feel amazing to get 4/5 on? You would get perfect on every part except that one question, but the feelign you get when you get a perfect on that part is amazing.
Just imagine the exams to be only those questions. (I think)

It makes sense, that's why UofT engineers are different, they think outsdie the box.

Alot of people switched out already is because they just don't like the structure. It is BROAD! REALLY BROAD. Some people realize early they want to specialize from year 1 so they switch. I am still confused in what to specialize so I'm still here :). No one dropped out cause of marks, since so far they barely marked anything.

Alot of people dropped out because of the pressure. They keep saying ENG sci this Eng Sci that. The prof's treat you differently and the school treats you differently. This differently is amazing for me because I like to know I'm good. I can stand the pressure but some people don't want that attention. It's more personal and I already said I am a brand whore.

All Engineering Disipliens are hard, Eng Sci is harder because its more broad so you have to study alot of different things. I am not sure if the counter-parts in the same uni will have the same exam or not. I don't know students from UOFT but I know students from other Engineering schools such as ryerson and UOIT. Their program is much more relaxed and no one is stressed like UOFT.

Everyone is on the edge at UofT, no matter what program your in. It can be Arts or Engineering. Everyone their was the smartest in their school. Everyone wants to do good and be succesful. Its a weird vibe coming from high school cause I had so many friends who were chilled and other friends who didn't give a screw about high school. I was the few of my friends who did care about high school. Now I go and EVERYONE cares, so its kinda weird, not relaxing at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So you got 2 acceptances fr UT or when they offered you eng sci they cancelled the 1st offer. I was just wondering how many offers they will give you, like if I apply to mech (1st choice) then eng sci (2nd choice) if they will give me both if I qualify or only offer one, oh btw, what did you pick for your 5 choices for eng at UT, bec I don't know what to pick 5 is so many I only want to do mech so would it be weird to just put mech and eng sci and leave the rest blank? And you suggest if I know what I want to do ie mech then just pick that as 1st choice instead of eng sci, since you say eng sci is broad and studying everything? Do you know what the cut off for mech eng is at UT? Do you know what UT is looking for on the SPF?
What do you like the best about your prg so far and what do you dislike?
How many students got accepted in your eng sci class and how many are there now ie dropped out?
How many hrs do you spend a wk for school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@snowbunny wrote
So you got 2 acceptances fr UT or when they offered you eng sci they cancelled the 1st offer. I was just wondering how many offers they will give you, like if I apply to mech (1st choice) then eng sci (2nd choice) if they will give me both if I qualify or only offer one, oh btw, what did you pick for your 5 choices for eng at UT, bec I don't know what to pick 5 is so many I only want to do mech so would it be weird to just put mech and eng sci and leave the rest blank? And you suggest if I know what I want to do ie mech then just pick that as 1st choice instead of eng sci, since you say eng sci is broad and studying everything? Do you know what the cut off for mech eng is at UT? Do you know what UT is looking for on the SPF?
What do you like the best about your prg so far and what do you dislike?
How many students got accepted in your eng sci class and how many are there now ie dropped out?
How many hrs do you spend a wk for school?

Well I got accepted for Materials Science as an alternative since my average wasn't good enough (for the first wave). During the last wave they took my Materials science offer(second choice) and gave me my first choice ; Eng Sci.
They only give one offer, they give you your first choice if you qualify. So in your case you will for sure qualify for Mech before Eng Sci so its useless having Eng Sci as an option.

Don't leave the rest blank because you never know, offers are a long time away. Fill them all out. I didn't realize what I wanted to do till I took EVERY course in high school and I found out that grade 12 chemistry was my favourite.

Eng Sci is a brand name. Its a label that you get. If you want to study just mech then go into that. Eng Sci is REALLY broad first and second year. They make you take courses from all over the science feild. I recommend checking out the courses each disipline takes in the first and second year, its REALLY helpful. It gives you a good idea about what your going to do.

Mech I'm pretty sure is mid 80's, you should aim for high and your garunteed a spot. To be honest I don't know what they are looking in the SPF. I was involved in sports in my school , I was the captain of the rugby team and I played football on the varsity teams as well.

The best part I like about my program is that everyone looks at me differntly. I am looked at differently. My roommate is a 4th year Mech student and he was shocked that I was an Eng sci student, he told me I must be really smart... (its a good feeling)

The part I hate is that they make you learn everything . Some courses I hate so that is a burden :(

I spend ALOT of hours per week, 30 hours of class is minimum for any engineering class. Then to be up to date its average of 2-4 hours of hw every day.

Many people drop out cause they can't take the work load, or they just don't like the broadness. Its a mixture of both. 3rd year students say people mainly drop out cause its hard. Dropping out isn't bad though because you can still go to Mech, without any penalty.

Rank your choice on the list as which program you want the most. Keep one thing in mind. You can go from Eng Sci to mech but you can NEVER go from mech to eng sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZKevin AZKevin
Interesting post, thanks for sharing your thoughts to us grade 11/12'ers. This really gives insight to any engineering courses I may choose later on. I still have some questions for you (if you don't mind) regarding EngSci, engineering as a whole, or just UofT in general.

1. I looked over the EngSci program, and I see that on the 3rd/4th year, students get the choice to specialize in a certain area, (I believe). What benefits do EngSci students have over students that already know their discipline?
(Ex question: What benefits does Electrical and Computer Engineering EngSci option have over someone who just takes the Electrical and Computer Engineering course)?

2. In your earlier posts, you said that UofT wasn't "right for you." Can you explain a bit more? What exactly is UofT a turn-off for you, rather than UWO, in which you said you'd rather be in?

3. Is there any English related courses you have to take in engineering? Or courses that require you to write extensive essays? Right now my dominant weakness (in terms of classes) is English, and I can't see myself in a career associated with that.

4. I'm just really curious, but what made you choose Engineering over Business/Commerce?

5. (This may sound like a dumb question), but other than graduate schools, does GPA really matter? Once you get a bachelors degree and enter the workforce, do employers care about the grades you got in university?

6. Last question =P... Right now, if you chose to pick a specialization in engineering (civil, computer, mechanical, etc), what would you pick in references to the "broad" courses you've had so far?

Sorry if I bombarded you with questions, but thanks if you answer and good luck with uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you accept the Materials offer before you got the Eng Sci offer or you still didn't accept Materials and then they chged it to Eng Sci? I'm just curious what is the best strategy to accept the offers right away as they come in or wait till the very last day or when all offers have come thru then accept one. Where did they send the acceptance 1st I heard they send to email, ouac and ut acct but they all reach different places at different times, so just curious where it hits first and after they send an offer do they actually send something by mail as well or only once you accept?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AZKevin wrote
Interesting post, thanks for sharing your thoughts to us grade 11/12'ers. This really gives insight to any engineering courses I may choose later on. I still have some questions for you (if you don't mind) regarding EngSci, engineering as a whole, or just UofT in general.

1. I looked over the EngSci program, and I see that on the 3rd/4th year, students get the choice to specialize in a certain area, (I believe). What benefits do EngSci students have over students that already know their discipline?
(Ex question: What benefits does Electrical and Computer Engineering EngSci option have over someone who just takes the Electrical and Computer Engineering course)?

2. In your earlier posts, you said that UofT wasn't "right for you." Can you explain a bit more? What exactly is UofT a turn-off for you, rather than UWO, in which you said you'd rather be in?

3. Is there any English related courses you have to take in engineering? Or courses that require you to write extensive essays? Right now my dominant weakness (in terms of classes) is English, and I can't see myself in a career associated with that.

4. I'm just really curious, but what made you choose Engineering over Business/Commerce?

5. (This may sound like a dumb question), but other than graduate schools, does GPA really matter? Once you get a bachelors degree and enter the workforce, do employers care about the grades you got in university?

6. Last question =P... Right now, if you chose to pick a specialization in engineering (civil, computer, mechanical, etc), what would you pick in references to the "broad" courses you've had so far?

Sorry if I bombarded you with questions, but thanks if you answer and good luck with uni.

1. The benefit is that your an Eng Sci graduate. UofT treats their eng sci's the best. Its like there are the core 8 programs...then there are eng sci's! Benefits? Well you are more recognized by the school, and UofT likes to brag about us. The problem is, getting to third year is ridiculously hard. I'm not bragging about myself, I'm not cocky, but thats what it is being an eng sci student. I moved into rez and I live with a 4th year mechanical student. He asks me what program are you in I'm like Eng Sci, he is like you must be REALLY smart. I was like thanx :p ...then his friends had the exact same reaction. It feels good to be an eng sci, to be honest thats one of the few reasons I'm in the program :P (high self-steem !)

2. What turned me off? Well honestly my classmates are so driven. They live for this crap. They want to study and derive ways to solve problems in their spare time. (Not all, but quiet a few). I'm not one of them, I'm just into this program cause I took alot of sciences in highschool and I was good at them. Plus since Eng sci was one of the hardest programs to get in, I automatically assumed it was the best. The thing is, it is the best, but only if you love it. I'm one of those laid back students who isn't too sure of what I want to do. Most Eng Sci's know what they want.

This is why 50% of Eng Sci graduates go to master school. They love this crap and they just want to keep learning about it.

3.It is mandatory for any engineering disipline to take one English course. They are always really easy. Engineers suck at English thats why they choose this program of course. Don't worry about English, they know, we know that we all HATE english :)

4. Engineering over commerce? To be honest I have been brainwashed since I was little to be an engineer. I'm paki and all brown parents want their kids to be is engineers or doctors... commerce? That's not even in their dictionary. But I wanted to give it a chance, it just I didn't know much about it. I know that schulich is an amazing school but I was never pressured to go there like I was pressured to go to Eng sci. My parents/fam only motivated me to go to engineering. If they did that with commerce then I am pretty sure I would go to commerce. I don't really know what I like, besides sports. So I just kinda listned to them.

5. Well don't worry about your gpa first and second year. Most people's gpa goes up in 3rd and 4th year. If your going into engineering thats what my sister and brother reccomended. I am just tryign to stay above average for now.

See having a low/passing gpa will still get you a job from UofT, but having a better gpa will just give you more oppurtunities. It's like saying does marks matter in high school? Well if you just want to go to any university then , no! But if you are aiming for something really high then yes gpa matters.

But its kinda same like highschool, you cuold be getting 50's in grade 9 and 10, but if you get 80's and 90's in grade 12, they don't care about what you got in grade 9 and 10. So it works the same way, (I think). I am a first year so don't quote me on anything here!

6. I would def choose Chem related courses. In highschool Chem was my strongest subject and I picked up everything really quickly. I am just waiting to take chem classes in university to see if they are the same, since they are different curriculum.

For 3rd year (hopefully I get that far in Eng Sci!) I plan to go into either biomedical, nanotech or stastics,mathematics and Finance Engineering.

Biomed and nanotech cause I like bio and chemistry. Statistics,mathematics engineering because it seems interesting to me :) , I like dealing with money. Derivaties make so much more sens to me when they are dealing with money. Graphs seem to have a purpose when they are talking about profit/loss.

Hopefully this helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@snowbunny wrote
Did you accept the Materials offer before you got the Eng Sci offer or you still didn't accept Materials and then they chged it to Eng Sci? I'm just curious what is the best strategy to accept the offers right away as they come in or wait till the very last day or when all offers have come thru then accept one. Where did they send the acceptance 1st I heard they send to email, ouac and ut acct but they all reach different places at different times, so just curious where it hits first and after they send an offer do they actually send something by mail as well or only once you accept?

I did not accept any offer till June second (last day /deadline)

I would say wait till the end. Honestly waiting , you can't do anything about that. It comes to you when it comes to you, there is no speeding that up or getting around it.

You just have to wait. It's a killer. You just want to get accepted and get over it, or some cases rejected so you can choose your other options.

Its a painful wait, but I would reccomend not choosing your options till the end.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@zaidpass wrote
I am a first year so don't quote me on anything here!

This is one of the most relevant pieces of information you've provided
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

what was your 2nd & 3rd choice at Waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Chemical then geological
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
So im guessing you saw your Alternate offer on OUAC and immediately went to
http://uwaterloorejects.com ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0