yconic - To improved communication
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

To improved communication

A photo of Keiser561993 Keiser561993
English is ez.

Also, Sparknotes/Shmoop is your best friend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
English is ez.

Also, Sparknotes/Shmoop is your best friend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
Ha hated ENG4U. Your teacher makes a world of a difference... I always did really well in English until grade 12. The guy was seriously a crazy marker. Two dumb friends submitted the same essay to different teacher. Our teacher gave it 2's, the otehr gave it 4's. Needless to say, my english mark didn't end up very good. Oh well, didn't affect me in the end.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Yeah, ENG 4U is one of the hardest gr 12 courses along with SCH 4U.
It also depends on your teacher and your school's rep in terms of the English department. My school has hard teachers who expect you to write well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of JogaBonito JogaBonito
As somebody mentioned, SparkNotes is your best friend.

I lucked out and had a relatively nice teacher, so things worked out well for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
You are definitely not alone on this forum. If you read the topics where everyone posts their marks, you'll see plenty of

Calc: 96
Physics: 97
Comupter Science: 99
English: 80 <--- zOMG o noes!!

I find talking to your teacher a lot really helps, because each teacher looks for different things on tests, assignments, etc. I wouldn't recommend writing an assignment or an essay using the same focus and/or structure from previous English classes (unless you have the same teacher).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GuruBlathers GuruBlathers
If you want to improve in your writing, read a lot of books (good books) so you learn from the pros. Then, failing English will be unpossible!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of idylle10 idylle10
It's not hard to get low 80's in eng4u but anything above 85 is rather difficult for me personally (it's my only mark under 90 /quitrage).
Talk to your teacher A LOT. Teachers have writing style preferences and if you know what they like, it's easier to get higher grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Sparknotes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of username101 username101
LOL!

I took ENG4U in my grade 11 year caz I knew I was going to mess it up in my Grade 12 year and by taking it in Grade 11 I could pay all my attention on English....

I did manage to get a 90 in English, however, my Ad Functions (another course I took in grade 11) mark was also atleast 5% less than what it should've been
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee
Ask fellow students to proof read your work too, if they can. Obviously it's preferable to ask someone doing relatively well in the class. Based on your original post, your english really is lagging (unless you just paid no attention at all while writing it). Many people will become annoyed with ENG4U but it's required for almost anywhere you apply to, don't be mistaken. Good english skills are not just there to prove you are a good student; they are crucial for your understanding of material in the future too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@JogaBonito wrote
As somebody mentioned, SparkNotes is your best friend.

Rude.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Trooper Trooper
ENG4U is difficult no doubt. It's hard to catch what your teacher is looking for. And Shakespeare is stupid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Trooper wrote
And Shakespeare is stupid.

ur stupid
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne
ENG4U was the first English course I ever took where, at the end of the day, I felt like I had actually learned something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne
ENG4U was the first English course I ever took where, at the end of the day, I felt like I had actually learned something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jezebel Jezebel
It's time-consuming because I know most teachers just want A LOT of detail.
But thankfully, writing comes easily to me.

Math on the other hand....:/

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of queeny2493 queeny2493

@cosstickxx wrote
Ha hated ENG4U. Your teacher makes a world of a difference... I always did really well in English until grade 12. The guy was seriously a crazy marker. Two dumb friends submitted the same essay to different teacher. Our teacher gave it 2's, the otehr gave it 4's. Needless to say, my english mark didn't end up very good. Oh well, didn't affect me in the end.

I definitely agree. The teacher is basically the only thing that determines your mark in English, in my opinion. This is why, right when I have any confusion of something in terms of how the teacher may want it written, I go directly to the teacher for advice. So yes, because English depends on how a person looks at something and each teacher has a different way, talking to the teacher is probably the best way of doing well in English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jonascrazy86 jonascrazy86
im doing really well, but its because my teacher is a pretty easy marker.
im getting away with a 92 right now.
:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@GuruBlathers wrote
If you want to improve in your writing, read a lot of books (good books) so you learn from the pros. Then, failing English will be unpossible!

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blargg Blargg
I loved 4U English <3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@smarty1 wrote

@GuruBlathers wrote

+1

His wisdom is unrefutable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sycra6961 sycra6961
ENG 4U will basically consume your life for 5 months because it takes a lot of time especially if writting doesn't come easily to you. My advice: get it done and move on :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0