yconic - To kids who list "Chancellor Nominee" in their signature.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

To kids who list "Chancellor Nominee" in their signature.

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster
It's nothing special - one of my groups right now.. everybody was a chancellor's nominee.. another group from last semester... 2 were chancellor scholars and all but 1 had nominations...

so again... its nothing special.. get over it. you just look like idiots to actual qc students browsing the forum to perhaps give advice and what not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of emmajane emmajane
I kind of think that anyone putting in their signature how they're a nominee/recipient is kind of rude... they're kind of saying "I'm better than you." But, if I were a nominee I'd be proud of it. Everyone likes to feel special.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@BSchoolMaster wrote
It's nothing special - one of my groups right now.. everybody was a chancellor's nominee.. another group from last semester... 2 were chancellor scholars and all but 1 had nominations...

so again... its nothing special.. get over it. you just look like idiots to actual qc students browsing the forum to perhaps give advice and what not.

I know it's nothing "special". But on this forum, we're talking about program admissions. And clearly being a Chancellor's nominee at this stage has helped many people get into Queen's. I'm not going to go around flaunting "oh, I was a nominee" while I'm at Queen's, nor would anyone I'd expect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@axiom2true wrote

@BSchoolMaster wrote

I know it's nothing "special". But on this forum, we're talking about program admissions. And clearly being a Chancellor's nominee at this stage has helped many people get into Queen's. I'm not going to go around flaunting "oh, I was a nominee" while I'm at Queen's, nor would anyone I'd expect.

No, what you're doing it you're flaunting to other non-nominees that you're "better" and that you're "set" because you were nominated - again, nomination means NOTHING if you didn't get the award.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@BSchoolMaster wrote

@axiom2true wrote

@BSchoolMaster wrote

No, what you're doing it you're flaunting to other non-nominees that you're "better" and that you're "set" because you were nominated - again, nomination means NOTHING if you didn't get the award.

Any idea of how many students get accepted into the Commerce program WITHOUT a Chancellor's Nomination?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BSchoolMaster wrote

@axiom2true wrote

@BSchoolMaster wrote

All I'm saying is it seemed to have some (albeit likely small) effect on getting admission to the program. For me, that's all I really cared about. I'm also well aware of the fact that being a nominee for an award does not guarantee you a "set life".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
OWNED
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
If it bothers you so much that others have put "Chancellor's nominee" as their signature, then avert your eyes. Don't go bashing around saying how pointless it is. Great, it might not mean anything, might not be that special, but they can do whatever the hell they want.

nomination means NOTHING if you didn't get the award.

untrue. not saying this is 100% reliable, but according to past stats, no chancellor's nominee has ever been denied acceptance from QC.
AND being nominated DOES mean something. considering one school can nominate only 1-2 ppl means they must be one of the best at their school. (unless no one else applied and they were just lucky). If anything, chancellor's nominees should feel at least a little pride in their efforts to get nominated in the first place.

you're flaunting to other non-nominees that you're "better" and that you're "set"

helloooo we're on SA. a place where we compare/discuss our successes and failures. don't take it the wrong way!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

There is no "according to past stats". Queen's makes it pretty clear that if you're a chancellor's nominee with a mark above the cutoff (87), then you will be given an offer of admission as that is the only thing the admission looks at (no PSE, and chancellor's app is used only for award purposes).

So Haru, I get that you're trying to be a smarta.ss, but please tell me something that I don't know. Also, getting a nomination is a joke, any government approved school can nominate (incl. sketchy private schools if you're enrolled full time). Good for you if you went against 20 other students to get that nomination, but once again, nomination means nothing.

I honestly think that this place has become a place for immature and insecure kids to come on and flaunt their tiny achievements.. I remember when there were legit people on SA forums, giving out advices.. Now it's just idiot HS kids trying to flaunt how much (read:little) they know about business schools and how great they are for gaining admission to Canadian (read: easy to get in) business schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade

@BSchoolMaster wrote
There is no "according to past stats". Queen's makes it pretty clear that if you're a chancellor's nominee with a mark above the cutoff (87), then you will be given an offer of admission as that is the only thing the admission looks at (no PSE, and chancellor's app is used only for award purposes).

So Haru, I get that you're trying to be a smarta.ss, but please tell me something that I don't know. Also, getting a nomination is a joke, any government approved school can nominate (incl. sketchy private schools if you're enrolled full time). Good for you if you went against 20 other students to get that nomination, but once again, nomination means nothing.

I honestly think that this place has become a place for immature and insecure kids to come on and flaunt their tiny achievements.. I remember when there were legit people on SA forums, giving out advices.. Now it's just idiot HS kids trying to flaunt how much (read:little) they know about business schools and how great they are for gaining admission to Canadian (read: easy to get in) business schools.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
There will always be people whose achievements are much bigger and incomparable in value. But there's no right or wrong in sharing even the tiniest of achievements.

However, i do agree with you that SA forums is becoming more useless, with a lot more insecure and immature kids asking questions like whether or not they're going to get into certain programs when the requirements are right there.

So where exactly are these legit ppl who give out legit advice?? I'm sure this thread does not count as "useful" advice. I'd actually prefer it if there were more useful ppl on SA.

oh and i'm pretty sure we were ALL "just idiot HS kids" at one point.
(i will not bother from this point on to feed the thread or check it. save yourself the rant)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
So, "BSchoolMaster" *cough*
Don't you have anything more meaningful to do than slam highschool students on an online forum?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
This is funny. lol I also don't understand the people that have AFMAA Invite on their sigs.. that's nothing special.. if you have a low 80 you get the friggin invite. Let's see how many of them actually get into PA. But that's a different story and I agree with the OP but I also think this forum has some people that contribute and I get a lotta info out of em.. like in particular g93, illuminati and etc so it's not completely all that bad.

It's funny reading the "WILLLL I GET INN" threads so I don't mind them :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Alizarin wrote
Don't you have anything more meaningful to do than slam highschool students on an online forum?

Congratulations on Chancellor's scholarship. now THAT is an accomplishment that one should be proud of. Shoot me a PM if you want to know more about business schools, more specifically QC.

I came here to help kids with any questions that they might have, and it seems like everybody who's "real" left a long time ago.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
LOL his name is goldmansachs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BSchoolMaster wrote

@Alizarin wrote

Congratulations on Chancellor's scholarship. now THAT is an accomplishment that one should be proud of. Shoot me a PM if you want to know more about business schools, more specifically QC.

I came here to help kids with any questions that they might have, and it seems like everybody who's "real" left a long time ago.

PM sent. It's real ;)

^ Comments are well-put, Haru.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Umm hi guys.

I want to know, when I'm in grade 12 next year, do I have to get my counsellor to select me for this nomination? And is it almost like a first-come-first-serve basis, meaning I have a better (not 100%) chance if I go and ask in September ?? Or does the school decide at the end without listening to any students..

I would really love to apply for this, thanks, please let me know!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
Every school is different. In my experience, I asked them in early November (deadline is December 1) but they wanted to wait and see if anyone else also wanted to apply (my gr. 11 marks were crap). When my guidance counsellor saw my mid-terms (~10% higher than my previous averages), she gave me the go ahead. I think only one other student asked about it (although she didn't end up bother applying).

If your average is currently in the 90s, I would definitely ask them September. Depending on your school's size and proximity to Kingston, you might be the only one who wants to do it. Also, I highly suggest working on it well ahead of time. I rushed mine and ended up having to send it priority mail just to get it in on time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Hey thanks for that ^^, I will definitely ask in September about this. Good advice!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0