yconic - To old for rez?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

To old for rez?

A photo of CandyCanexox CandyCanexox
Hey guys,
This coming September Im going to be starting university, im thinking of moving away and living on residence. I hear all about how its such a great experience; however, my only concern is that when I go I will be 20. Do you think that's to old? Will I have a hard time meeting people/relating to them because of the age difference? I know some people take a year off before they go to school (that's what I did, and then I took a semester of college and realized it wasn't for me) and that's only a year or two difference, but I'm still slightly concerned.
If anyone has any advice/knows people who started first year and lived in residence and can tell me how they felt that would be great!
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Have you hung out with 17/18 year olds? If so, do you have a hard time hanging out with 17/18 year olds?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I wouldn't be concerned about that small of an age different. I think living in certain residences simply requires a certain type of personality. I don't think I could have ever lived in one of the residences at my undergrad because it was all about drinking and partying (and a lot of these people continued living this way even after they moved out of res). Other residences might have been manageable for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@CandyCanexox wrote
Hey guys,
This coming September Im going to be starting university, im thinking of moving away and living on residence. I hear all about how its such a great experience; however, my only concern is that when I go I will be 20. Do you think that's to old? Will I have a hard time meeting people/relating to them because of the age difference? I know some people take a year off before they go to school (that's what I did, and then I took a semester of college and realized it wasn't for me) and that's only a year or two difference, but I'm still slightly concerned.
If anyone has any advice/knows people who started first year and lived in residence and can tell me how they felt that would be great!
Thanks!

I started first year (in rez) when I was 20. You shouldn't be concerned. The two year gap doesn't make much of a difference. Plus there are always a ton of 19 year olds in rez.

You may have to put up with 17-18 y/os drinking for the first time in their lives (which yeah, can be annoying) but there still generally isn't a profound maturity difference between someone who is 18 and someone who is 20.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
In university, age shouldn't matter. People will actually really like you because you're of age to buy alcohol for them (lol). As long as youre willing to make younger friends, you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
I've known people anywhere from 17-and-a-bit to 24 or so in res. it really doesn't matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0