yconic - to pay or not to pay
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

to pay or not to pay

A photo of pumpkinsoup pumpkinsoup
I know several classmates whose parents will pay them money(upwards of $100) for getting an A in a class. is it a good idea to barter money for good grades?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No. Good grades are required, without financial compensation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sarah55 Sarah55
I agree that parents should not pay because you should be self motivated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of funeralhome funeralhome
I agree, parents shouldn't pay their children to get good grades because then they won't learn anything for themselves.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AMurray AMurray
Well, in the long term I agree that its not a good idea. But it could be a useful technique for parents to help their children work harder and adjust to university work loads. I doubt that pumpkinsoup's classmates will be receiving that kind of money indefinitely. They've got to stop being lazy and grow up eventually...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
Yes, if you're ten years old.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RaynaAnne RaynaAnne
Well, coming from someone who doesn't get any money for school, it sounds great. But I doubt that's a good idea. Students should strive to get good grades regardless of financial reward, that isn't particularly how the "real world" works. Plus, many people are unable to get As (which is not a bad thing!) and this would prove to discourage them instead. Parents should always encourage their children, but to teach them rewards come only in the form of money (or that only such rewards are desirable) isn't teaching anything good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gracelin gracelin
to pay or not to pay.. that is the question. whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.. OK yeah, just got out of English 12 Hamlet unit, you can ignore that completely.

Quite common, this tactic is. Plus, it works, doesn't it? If you haven't already, you could casually bring this up to your parents, and listen to what they have to say on this matter. If they're all for it, then great! A reward for academic excellence never hurts.. It's how the whole obtaining scholarships ordeal drives students to achieve higher grades.
Yeah. It never hurts to ask. If your parents don't agree, strive to get good grades anyway - you'll need them for university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CJMillette CJMillette
I think in high school it's good for a student to have a reward like that for motivation, but once you get into university or college by that time you should be able to motivate yourself to get the grades you need.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
I find that even with substantial financial compensation many of these students don't even try to get As.
You shouldn't have to be rewarded to do good. Motivation should be intrinsic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DreamingGoddess DreamingGoddess
In motivational psychology there is intrinsic and extrinsic motivation.
Intrinsic is when the individual does something for themself because they want to and they enjoy them. Extrinsic motivation is when something/someone outside of the individual uses rewards/punishments to motivate the individual. Sometimes extrinsic motivation can be good, but most times it does more harm than good. A lot of times if someone was intrinsically motivated and then they start being rewarded for what they loved doing, they lose their passion.

In short, parents rewarding their children with money for every 'A' they receive could be detrimental. It's much better to foster the mind and help children/teens/adults learn that knowledge is powerful and can be fun.

I agree with a previous comment where if the person is not able to attain the desired goal/grade (I abhor statistics. I can get a B, but regardless of the amount of time and effort, I will never get an A because I dislike the subject so much) it may instead discourage the individual and have the opposite effect.

If you want to go on in academics, you need to have the desire and drive. Otherwise you will be cheating yourself and may be spending all that money on something you won't even enjoy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I used to get paid for getting A's.. but only $10.. in elementary school.
But now that I'm in high school, I don't think I would take the money for getting As.
Students earn their grades, I believe.
Students will naturally get higher marks in subjects they genuinely enjoy without any outside influence.
If you're getting paid to get good grades, it's like cheating.
You work hard to get those As, but not because you want to, but because you want the money.
If you get those As, sure, it will get you into university, but what if, in the end, you figure out that maybe you don't like Business as much as you thought.. or Science wasn't really your thing..
Then you just wasted 5 years of high school getting those As to get you into the wrong field of interest in university..
all because of the $100 that you could easily make back in post-grad years doing something you actually love.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bobbobby bobbobby
it'd be nice to get money for good marks , ahha .. that never happened to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
Parents shouldn't pay, just as schools shouldn't pay. It doesn't hit the root of the problem, being a person that isn't self motivated enough and doesn't have enough common sense to see the benefits of good grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0