yconic - To those applying to Queen's commerce and Ivey
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

To those applying to Queen's commerce and Ivey

A photo of Business1234 Business1234
So arguably, these are the best business schools in canada.

However whats turning me off about ivey is, its an arts degree, might not withhold 80%, studies crammed in 2 years(15credits), and not being able to study business right away.

I would like to hear every applicant's reasons why they choose which school.
Also do u agree that Queen's admission is more selective than ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I applied to Queen's for the obvious reasons. I don't know if I will go there. I don't know why I didn't apply to Ivey. I obviously will not go there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
I sense a strong QC bias in your post OP...

What I'm seeing for both schools:

Ivey:
-2+2 program
a) Good if you are undecided towards business as a career
b) Allows you to pad your resume with knowledge from another major

-Arguably the strongest alumni network in Canada for business
-Better job and compensation figures than QC
-Case study method (good for some, bad for others)

QC:
-Do not have to worry about reapplying end of second year
-A more traditional lecture+case style of teaching
-Posts good employment data, however worse than Ivey

In short, if you manage to get into QC/Ivey, you shouldn't really worry about maintaining 80% in your first two year, if you really are struggling to maintain that 80% in Western, then you'll be failing just as bad in QC = bad job prospects.

I've talked to friends at Ivey in their HBA1/HBA2 years, and they don't seem that overly stressed out. If you are looking for a future in finance/accounting, you'll have to pull 80-90 hours weeks anyways in your job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I applied to both for their reputation also.

Personally I think Ivey is a bit better strictly because the 2+2 further weeds out people who aren't serious and also they seem to have more grads making big bucks (not that either is lacking though). Also I like the name "Ivey". Haha a couple people at my school thought I meant the Ivy League Schools when I said it ;)

If I get into both, I'd prefer Queen's a bit because the 2+2 scares me, I like the campus at Queen's better, better international exchanges, I like Kingston...I'm sure there's others but that's my main reasons.

Of course I still have to hear back from both -.-

Needless to say if one accepts me and one doesn't it's quite an easy decision lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Serendipity wrote

Ivey:
-2+2 program

QC:

In short, if you manage to get into QC/Ivey, you shouldn't really worry about maintaining 80% in your first two year, if you really are struggling to maintain that 80% in Western, then you'll be failing just as bad in QC = bad job prospects.

u say that undergrads have higher compensantion but thats with bonuses...queen's does not enclose bonuses with their salary report

yes im queen's baised atm..trying to figure out why someone would choose ivey, an arts degree..

do u still think ivey> queens in admission standard?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Serendipity wrote

Ivey:
-2+2 program

QC:

I don't think I would say "worse than Ivey", more like "not quite as good" (re job prospects)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

Personally I think Ivey is a bit better strictly because the 2+2 further weeds out people who aren't serious and also they seem to have more grads making big bucks (not that either is lacking though). Also I like the name "Ivey". Haha a couple people at my school thought I meant the Ivy League Schools when I said it ;)

If I get into both, I'd prefer Queen's a bit because the 2+2 scares me, I like the campus at Queen's better, better international exchanges, I like Kingston...I'm sure there's others but that's my main reasons.

Needless to say if one accepts me and one doesn't it's quite an easy decision lol

but say u got accepted to both, which one would u end up going?

im having hard time since i got accepted to both
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well I'm waiting on QC, but I'll have to weigh my American options as well.

NYU vs UT Austin anyone?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Business1234 wrote

@Username81 wrote

but say u got accepted to both, which one would u end up going?

im having hard time since i got accepted to both

He/she already said.

What are you going through for? Any ideas (accounting, finance, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oops i meant to ask serendipity..

im thinking of going into finance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

i feel like the admission standard for queen's is higher

the recent grad class had like 2-3 AEOs and no queen's commerce
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

@Business1234 wrote
oops i meant to ask serendipity..

im thinking of going into finance

Personally I would choose Queen's, and then if I still wanted to go to Ivey then consider transferring after 2nd year. I have little desire to pursue a poli sci degree or something stupid and I don't like the BMOS program, so I would prefer Queen's.

That's not to say that it is the right choice for you, but you do seem to prefer Queen's so maybe it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol, id just finish queens if i already did 2 years...
going that route, its like 12k more expensive
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of IveyRecruiting2011 IveyRecruiting2011

@Business1234 wrote

@Serendipity wrote

Ivey:
-2+2 program

QC:

u say that undergrads have higher compensantion but thats with bonuses...queen's does not enclose bonuses with their salary report

yes im queen's baised atm..trying to figure out why someone would choose ivey, an arts degree..

I won't get into the debate of which school is better, it's really a personal choice for each of you. However, to clear up your question about Ivey being an "arts degree", here's a little background:

It is true that Ivey offers the HBA program, but your degree will be a Bachelor of Arts in "Honors Business Administration". One common misconception a lot of students have is that employers will rate the title of your degree over others. In the grand scheme of things, you are getting an undergraduate education in business. The actual title of the program is primarily different points of differentiation. What is more important is the type of learning that you face over your 4 (ish, depending on your program) years of university.

Here's why Ivey grants the B.A. in HBA: Ivey is one of the oldest undergraduate business programs in Canada. At that time, the two main degrees were Bachelors in Science and Bachelors in Arts. The business program naturally fell under the Arts wing and offered programs under the B.A. name. Since those days, the program has been expanded, been redeveloped, been improved in many ways, but has always paid tribute to our history. A lot of the programs that offer other degree titles can be traced back to the decades when that program was started, but Ivey has always offered the HBA.

Best of luck to all of you in making your decisions.

Sincerely,

Richard
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster

@IveyRecruiting2011 wrote

@Business1234 wrote

@Serendipity wrote

Ivey:
-2+2 program

QC:

I won't get into the debate of which school is better, it's really a personal choice for each of you. However, to clear up your question about Ivey being an "arts degree", here's a little background:

It is true that Ivey offers the HBA program, but your degree will be a Bachelor of Arts in "Honors Business Administration". One common misconception a lot of students have is that employers will rate the title of your degree over others. In the grand scheme of things, you are getting an undergraduate education in business. The actual title of the program is primarily different points of differentiation. What is more important is the type of learning that you face over your 4 (ish, depending on your program) years of university.

Here's why Ivey grants the B.A. in HBA: Ivey is one of the oldest undergraduate business programs in Canada. At that time, the two main degrees were Bachelors in Science and Bachelors in Arts. The business program naturally fell under the Arts wing and offered programs under the B.A. name. Since those days, the program has been expanded, been redeveloped, been improved in many ways, but has always paid tribute to our history. A lot of the programs that offer other degree titles can be traced back to the decades when that program was started, but Ivey has always offered the HBA.

Sincerely,

Richard

Strange, Queen's Commerce dates back to 1919, several years before the business program at UWO was conceived. Yet, right from the bat, Queen's granted BComm. So your excuse has no merit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of transformerz transformerz
[quote=BSchoolMaster][quote=IveyRecruiting2011]
@Business1234 wrote

@Serendipity wrote

Sincerely,

Richard

Strange, Queen's Commerce dates back to 1919, several years before the business program at UWO was conceived. Yet, right from the bat, Queen's granted BComm. So your excuse has no merit.

Okay, aside from the more-than-apparent ignorance is your lack of character in bashing someone who's openly suggested equality between the 2 schools.

According to your argument, Whorton's Bachelors of Science "in economics" is inferior to Queen's BComm because a BComm >>> all other business degree titles. By the same argument, a Harvard "BA" degree should be useless and graduates will lose opportunities to a BComm holder every time.

You sound very insecure as an apparent Queens Commerce student to come and bash Ivey's program again and again. Either that or you're just a troll.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of vek vek

@BSchoolMaster wrote

Clearly, Ivey has set itself apart from other business schools with the unique HBA program. My thinking is that Ivey could have at one point changed their program name to "BComm" - but they didn't. Most likely because, like Richard has already mentioned, they understood that it isn't the prefix of a degree name that determines who you are, what level of education you received or whether or not you will get a job after an interview. Ivey more than likely would have had to make huge sacrifices to their already distinguished HBA program to meet some (probably) unwritten "requirements" of a "BComm" degree. (Which, realistically unless you wear your diploma on your shirt, no potential employee is going to notice the difference).

Ivey's unique program structure and philosophy of teaching business is what sets it apart from the other business schools. Whether it is better than Queens or not may be up for debate, regardless you simply can't say that all the Ivey grads are sitting at home in their parents basement crying over the fact that they have the prefix "BA" before their "Honors of Business Administration" on their university diploma.

And maybe Richard will correct me here, either way, the "BA" wasn't a "deciding factor" for Ivey, and it shouldn't be a deciding factor for anyone to steer away from the school. In fact, his post shows a lot "merit" as it shows that Ivey is busy not worrying about the "BA" prefix and is working on other more important things, as so everyone else shouldn't be worrying about it either.

Again, not saying that Ivey's program is superior or inferior to Queens, just pointing out that the reasons for the "BA" make perfect sense, and reasons why it is so insignificant from a bigger picture perspective, make even more sense.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ott93 ott93
It's the main turn off for a lot of people, but I 100% want to go to Ivey because of the 2+2 structure. I love that you can do whatever you want for the first two years. Also, not maintaining the 80% average would have bigger consequences than not going to Ivey (grad/professional school admissions) so I'd obviously work really hard to get good marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Seriously, are you really bashing Ivey for naming their degree "HBA" instead of "BComm"?

I think I speak for most of us here that if a degree can:
a) teach you enough to make you competitive in the job economy
b) give you enough networking opportunities to land a decent job that you are happy with
c) give you the experience that you are looking for

we don't give a crap whether it's the HBA degree or the BComm degree.

You can go to QC and be happy. You don't have to come onto an internet forum and try to skew other people to your way of thinking. Let each individual make their own choice as to what program they want to attend.

BTW, if you can't maintain 80% in your two years, you'll have a hard time streaming into finance anyways at Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0