yconic - Too early to apply?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Too early to apply?

A photo of jllama jllama
I'm in grade 11 right now, should I start applying for scholarships or just scouting them out? Is it worth trying to sort through scholarships if I don't know what/where I want my university program to be?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of XTC XTC

@jllama wrote
I'm in grade 11 right now, should I start applying for scholarships or just scouting them out? Is it worth trying to sort through scholarships if I don't know what/where I want my university program to be?

You're just in time to scout out scholarships to apply for next year. Nearly all of the major scholarships are for Grade 12 students, but many have deadlines before December (October for some) so its a good time now to look over the scholarships, see which ones you're interested in and think about preparing for them. But no point applying yet and trying to find Grade 11 scholarships in my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hieusername hieusername
I would suggest volunteering. You're like a book with no or little pages filled in. Allowing yourself to volunteer will fill in those pages and greatly increase your chances of scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RishadN RishadN
you're never too early to look around!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hieusername hieusername
I would suggest volunteering. You're like a book with no or little pages filled in. Allowing yourself to volunteer will fill in those pages and greatly increase your chances of scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of riverheart1118 riverheart1118
There are some grade 11 scholarships around that you could apply for but your time is probably better spent getting involved. volunteer, play a sport, join a club, these kinds of things will improve your chances of winning scholarships immensely. Choosing scholarships that you want to apply for next year will save you tons of time when your time to start applying comes around so yeah scouting out these may be helpful as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Keylee12 Keylee12
It is always a good idea to look into a way to plan for you future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mylovebud mylovebud
Never too early!! And hey. If you do write a perfect essay, keep it. The question will most likely come up again. and probably the same prize will come back next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 351351 351351
As everyone has said, it's never too early to start looking around. Also, you should do extracurricular activites and volunteering. It will help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cynaburst cynaburst
Bluntly, yes it's a bit too early to actually apply for them. However, like everyone has said, looking never hurt anyone, and it'll be good to prepare a list of awards that you might be interested in applying for. You could even begin to start writing essays and applications for some awards if you know they will be consistent the next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aima Aima
I think that it is a bit early to apply for scholarships in gr. 11 but you can find some that are essay writing contests. I would suggest volunteering to help in gr. 12
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of highxonxsplenda highxonxsplenda
There are quite a few essay-writing contests that you can participate in. Or you can start researching. Most scholarships reuse the same prompt questions year after year. So you can get started on writing those now and not have to stress out next year when you'll have to worry about university applications on top of everything else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of richard1001 richard1001
Never too early. Fish out all the availible scholarships to you as it will accumilate and help you when you get near the end of g12
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jllama jllama
Thanks, I'll definately make sure I've at least sorted out what to apply for next year...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of toridlf toridlf
Hi i have a question if i apply for a scholarship now well im grad eleven and get the scholarship im i still going to be able to use when i do graduate or is there a certain time period?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It's a great time to start looking at some of the scholarships but it is too early to apply for them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of renecm renecm
This is the best time to get on top of it. If you start paying attention now you'll catch a lot that other won't. a lot of scholarships don't get applied to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vedaley vedaley
It's best to apply for scholarships as soon as you enter your last year of highschool. Who doess't want free money :) good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0