yconic - too much?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

too much?

A photo of breanneeagnew breanneeagnew
Okay so I'm thinking of getting another job but my dad thinks I might be too stressed out and can't figure out if he's just scared of me moving out next year and leaving him.

I work typically 12 hours a week (about three shifts), am in school full time and reciving high Bs or low As(8:40 to 3:10), in morning classes outside of the time table, musical theater (Sound of Music this year!) which is three 2 hour rehersals a week, baby sitting every thursday for 3 hours, leading a social justic team, in book club, on grad council, PARTY student council, and orginizing many fundraising events. I think I have more time to work and make money so I don't go into debt when I leave home. I'm thinking maybe another 12 hours a week. I have ALL easy classes! Gutair, art, spare, choir, band, engish, yearbook, and creative writing. How easy is that year? I think I can handle another job. What do you think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I have no idea why you're wasting your time with those useless EC's. Do a real job for real money.

I had hard courses and I was working 40 hours a week at one job, about 30 hours a week at another, and still going to school. It's not hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
Taking easy classes isn't a smart idea. Challenge yourself! Broaden your intellectual horizons!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512

@ARMY101 wrote
I had hard courses and I was working 40 hours a week at one job, about 30 hours a week at another, and still going to school. It's not hard.

Per se.

Anyhow, for a realistic perspective, about 20-25 hours a week is what you want to aim for to get As, keep up with hard courses and not be too stressed out. Considering all your courses seem to be easy and not provide a lot of homework, you could handle more, but the lack of free time might get to you. If you're really looking to make money I would suggest sacrificing some of your non paying extracurricular activities and get the additional job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaloolah wrote
Taking easy classes isn't a smart idea. Challenge yourself! Broaden your intellectual horizons!

I challenged myself last year. Took all my hard courses and these were the only options left that I hadn't took (there is little choices for classes in my tiny 402 student school) excluding bio, but bio makes me puke.

"I have no idea why you're wasting your time with those useless EC's. Do a real job for real money."
"If you're really looking to make money I would suggest sacrificing some of your non paying extracurricular activities and get the additional job."

I can't give up my ECs. All the volunteering is because there's a passion behind it for me. If i give it up (and I've tried) I am ALWAYS feeling like I'm missing something important. I don't need to make massive amount of money, I'm already making quite a bit monthly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@andrewk512 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

Per se.

"By itself" what?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of taylorgavin12 taylorgavin12
You seem like you have a ton of stuff going on, why pile on more? Focus on your school work and such, but more importantly focus on yourself! It's nice to have down time and relax. If you do want to have an additional hobbie though, guitar is really easy to pick up and it can be relaxing in stressful times. With all the stuff you do now it may not be hard, but still, why make such little time for yourself? I hope whatever you do you have a great time doing it. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@taylorgavin12 wrote
You seem like you have a ton of stuff going on, why pile on more? Focus on your school work and such, but more importantly focus on yourself! It's nice to have down time and relax. If you do want to have an additional hobbie though, guitar is really easy to pick up and it can be relaxing in stressful times. With all the stuff you do now it may not be hard, but still, why make such little time for yourself? I hope whatever you do you have a great time doing it. :)

I play gitair, trumpet, and piano. And when ever I relax I find myself either on stupid games on facebook or spending money I don't have to spend. I know how to save money, I just don't follow my own tips on it. and btw the gutair just frusterates me. I wanna smash it a least once a day :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
I'm with everyone else on here. You're wasting your time with extra curriculars, most schools/programs dont care about them anyways. It might also be nice if you dropped some of the easy courses and took some harder ones, give yourself a mix. If you're planning on going to university (which I'm assuming you are) you're gonna be really suprised at how much work is expected if you took all bird courses in grade 12. You'll be more prepared if you take some harder ones.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@ARMY101 wrote

@andrewk512 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

Per se.

"By itself" what?

It might mean so full of himself?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chelseyskeoch chelseyskeoch
Well, I think that if you work really hard and try your best I believe you can do it. In grade 11 I was working three jobs at one time and at the beginning of grade 12 I only had one job but i put in about 25-30 hours a week. I think you can do it if you want to :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Oprime Oprime
It sounds like you already have a lot on your plate, but if you really wanted to, you could manage to work another part-time job. In grade 12, I worked about 20h a week, and had many extra-curricular activities like you, but if you manage your time well, you'll even get to have a social life. :)
You should also try talking things out with your dad as well...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cosstickxx wrote
I'm with everyone else on here. You're wasting your time with extra curriculars, most schools/programs dont care about them anyways. It might also be nice if you dropped some of the easy courses and took some harder ones, give yourself a mix. If you're planning on going to university (which I'm assuming you are) you're gonna be really suprised at how much work is expected if you took all bird courses in grade 12. You'll be more prepared if you take some harder ones.

Like I've said
@breanneeagnew wrote
I challenged myself last year. Took all my hard courses and these were the only options left that I hadn't took (there is little choices for classes in my tiny 402 student school) excluding bio, but bio makes me puke.

I've even taken some courses twice because thats how little. I've also said
@breanneeagnew wrote
I can't give up my ECs. All the volunteering is because there's a passion behind it for me. If i give it up (and I've tried) I am ALWAYS feeling like I'm missing something important.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Oprime wrote
It sounds like you already have a lot on your plate, but if you really wanted to, you could manage to work another part-time job. In grade 12, I worked about 20h a week, and had many extra-curricular activities like you, but if you manage your time well, you'll even get to have a social life. :)
You should also try talking things out with your dad as well...

If only i could get more hours at work! I wish I could do 20h/week but my employers have a few other high school girls hired and they don't want to be unfair to them, they've been there longer. I've been thinking delivering pizzas. tips and I get to drive around..I love driving! :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0