My Feed Money for School Explore Academic Subjects Explore Schools Explore Student Life Topics Student Help Brands Winners Support Center
About yconic Partner with Us Contact Us
Uthink Fund Your Future
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy Copyright
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes our Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More

Too smart for guys?

A photo of MissThompson MissThompson
I have been talking to this one guy for months and he has told me he was interested in me so I told him I was too because well, I am. We went on a date and talked for a little while before another date. On the second date he told me that I was very smart, to which I said thank you. Then on Saturday I was talking to him when he said &#34;You are very smart.&#34; I said thank you. Then today I got an email from him saying he could no longer continue talking to me because I am too smart. For the last 3 years this has happened to me. I get close to a guy and then he says I am too smart for him and he refuses to date me. Some guys say they can&#39;t even be my friend because I am smarter than them. I am not actually super smart, just like 87.6 average smart, not like 98 average smart. <br> <br>Does this seem weird to anyone else?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
84 replies

A photo of saber33 saber33
Many males enjoy being the dominant figure in a relationship. To this type of man, an intelligent woman can be threatening. So no it doesn't seem weird to me, unless you have reason to believe these men who rejected you have a very submissive nature.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
He sounds dumb. Go for smarter guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@kraken wrote
He sounds dumb. Go for smarter guys.

+1

I don't think it's your average that's making them turn the way.
It's your intelligence.. Not book smarts, but intellectual kind of smarts, if you know what I mean..
I don't think they're scared of the fact that you know that a^2 + b^2 = c^2, but more scared of that fact that you know the origins of the Pythagorean formula.. if you can understand that analogy.
You probably think much deeper than the guy does, and to guys, that's pretty threatening.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay. Thank you guys. I was just wondering if it was strange or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
They're making excuses or are very insecure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
I can't help laughing at this. Smart girls are attractive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
A friend of mine recently told me she didn't want guys to think she was too smart. (She also has about the same average as you. :P) Personally, I find intelligence to be very attractive. I think you should find a guy who appreciates your intelligence...

Perhaps he felt like he couldn't keep up with you, or threatened like the others already mentioned.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I wouldn't cry over anyone who uses e-mail to break-up. It's cowardly and archaic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You need to get knocked off your high horse. I hope someone puts you in your place.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ARMY101, I truly have no idea what your issue is. You are cruel and uncaring in most, if not all, of your previous posts in other threads and now this? I hope someone puts you in your place.

Thank you everyone, I just wondered if he was being crazy or if I was just too intelligent. I guess it was just him!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I agree that it can have a lot to do with the company you keep. With my university friends, I feel pretty average intelligence-wise; when I hang out with my college friends at home, I feel like a genius. It's really brutal when I'm playing board games with that latter group of friends and they have never heard of key historic figures (honestly, one friend kept pronouncing Stalin "Stay-lin", and I had no idea what he was talking about until I saw his card... no one other than myself knew who he even was, let alone the proper pronunciation of his last name), important places, major concepts, etc...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@ARMY101 wrote
You need to get knocked off your high horse. I hope someone puts you in your place.

LOL!

Hate to agree but ARMY is right..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Qq wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

LOL!

Hate to agree but ARMY is right..

Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MissThompson wrote
ARMY101, I truly have no idea what your issue is. You are cruel and uncaring in most, if not all, of your previous posts in other threads and now this? I hope someone puts you in your place.

Thank you everyone, I just wondered if he was being crazy or if I was just too intelligent. I guess it was just him!

Everyone's just being nice to you so they don't hurt your feelings. I, on the other hand, think it would be cruel for me to NOT tell you the truth. Who do you think you are to say that someone would break up with you because you're too smart? That's like someone saying "yeah, he knew I was too good for him, so he left me." What the hell?! Get off your high horse. Maybe it was your superiority complex that scared him away, not your smarts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger

@ARMY101 wrote

@MissThompson wrote

Everyone's just being nice to you so they don't hurt your feelings. I, on the other hand, think it would be cruel for me to NOT tell you the truth. Who do you think you are to say that someone would break up with you because you're too smart? That's like someone saying "yeah, he knew I was too good for him, so he left me." What the hell?! Get off your high horse. Maybe it was your superiority complex that scared him away, not your smarts.

Lol.
Army, you're probably the one with superiority issues here.
I wasn't just being nice to MissThompson. I was telling her my honest opinion on that situation. Why shouldn't she assume they broke up with her because she was too smart if they told her that themselves? She even showed some modesty - "I am not actually super smart". I figure MissThompson posted this thread to get opinions on what other guys think of smart girls since most of the guys she has met didn't seem to like that about her.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
Can you please give an example of when he said you were too smart? Someone can be "smart" in many different ways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

We were discussing History class at our school (which we are both in) and he asked something and I gave him a full answer with the date and important people in it. Then he said "You are very smart." Then he asked for help with English, which I helped him with and he said "You are very smart." once more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

find me a guy who legitimately doesn't mind a girl being smarter than him and i will.... i don't know, i don't even have to think of something to hand over because it's unlikely this could happen
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ Two of my good friends, engaged to one another, fit that description. The girl is considerably smarter than the guy. Though I do agree that it is rare.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Wouldn't it be frustrating dating someone considerably more stupid than yourself?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@jsaroya wrote
find me a guy who legitimately doesn't mind a girl being smarter than him and i will.... i don't know, i don't even have to think of something to hand over because it's unlikely this could happen

I know of a lot of guys like this. In this case it's probably that the girl feels too smart for him.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MissThompson wrote
We were discussing History class at our school (which we are both in) and he asked something and I gave him a full answer with the date and important people in it. Then he said "You are very smart." Then he asked for help with English, which I helped him with and he said "You are very smart." once more.

Right, so he acknowledges you're smart. But has he said "I am breaking up with you because you're too smart for me"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DKDG DKDG
Take your guy friend to a party and get drunk or something instead of educating him at dinner
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jsaroya wrote

I wouldn't want the girl I'm dating to be smarter than me. Even equal is a little tricky since I'm supposed to maintain the dominant position in the relationship.

There's a fine balance between dating someone who you have superiority over, but not so that they're so stupid they drool when they speak.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony

@ARMY101 wrote

@jsaroya wrote

I wouldn't want the girl I'm dating to be smarter than me. Even equal is a little tricky since I'm supposed to maintain the dominant position in the relationship.

There's a fine balance between dating someone who you have superiority over, but not so that they're so stupid they drool when they speak.

If you are going to be medieval enough as to say that you think the man needs to have the dominant position in the relationship and be smarter than the girl (and I don't even understand how that is possible, because people are more educated in certain subjects than others, and there are many different types of 'smarts'), then I hope your attitude extends to being chivalrous and a perfect gentleman as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0