yconic - top 5 toughest majors?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

top 5 toughest majors?

A photo of DennisDJ DennisDJ
Anyone who tells you it will be easy to purse a university degree is either ignorant or lying.. However, there are those majors that you think no body can stand at your college and you always wonder how the hell someone could handle them.
I'm just interested in your experiances and perceptions.

What are the top 5 toughest majors that which most people drop out & why?

Does a tough major implies best career options and salary benefits after graduation? At least in Canada?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Alright :P

I'm waiting for all the prospective Engineering students to swarm this thread to advertise the difficulty of their major LOL

No but seriously, if someone is truly passionate about their major of study and I mean like they are interested in the content being instructed within the curriculum then they'll enjoy their education and embrace the challenge. Someone who just majors in in a field of study just because it has good employment prospects but complains, and is miserable, or whines on how difficult their major is compared to others, they won't really be person fit for that profession after completing their studies because they pursued it for the wrong reasons.

As you see in my signature, I applied for those programs. I know people will say "Oh you have literally no job prospects with your undergrad degree"

My response to them, Yeah thanks for stating the obvious. I'm going into this field with the awareness that I'll need to continue with further education after obtaining my Bachelors degree. Plus, I have my future all planned out ;)

Certain majors have a more rigorous course load than others but it's mainly due to the fact that majors such as Engineering, Nursing, Accounting lead to direct professional designations. Other majors such as those in the Life Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, & Arts, require further education in order to actually work in that related field. So options for these majors include graduate school, professional school, or simply receiving a practical education from A College of Applied Arts & Technology.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Engineering students are god damn whiners. It's really not that difficult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

My sister never complained during her years at Waterloo and got excellent marks and had job offers from her Co-op employers. I guess the person who doesn't find it extremely difficult will make a great engineer mainly due the fact they are naturally fit for that profession.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

In my opinion:

1)Physics
2)Engineering
3)Computer science
4)Math
5)Chemistry
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Medic93 wrote

@ktel wrote

My sister never complained during her years at Waterloo and got excellent marks and had job offers from her Co-op employers. I guess the person who doesn't find it extremely difficult will make a great engineer mainly due the fact they are naturally fit for that profession.

I think the people who are complaining are those who aren't doing well. It's pretty natural for people to want to blame something else for their failings, so they like to talk up their program so that their own failure isn't such a big deal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Respects wrote
In my opinion:

1)Physics
2)Engineering
3)Computer science
4)Math
5)Chemistry

Is this based on mathematical difficulty?

That's how most of today's "toughest majors" are determined :P
Like my friends buddy said to me "If you want to do math for 8 hours a day then you'll love engineering" He dropped out from Mac, that's what happens when you complain and don't do your work.

A good engineer is someone who enjoys their studies and pushes through!

But in response to your list, statistically yes, those are considered the more difficult majors, from experience? I have no clue.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

In terms of difficulty, physics and pure maths are in a league of their own. In general purity correlates with difficulty.
Was this helpful? Yes 0