yconic - Top 6 and Course Selection
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Top 6 and Course Selection

A photo of misspremed misspremed
A few questions for you guys, with a bit of background to start. I'm a grade 11 student from the GTA. I'm taking three grade 12 courses this year - philosophy, individuals and families, and physics. I would like to become a psychiatrist, and for my undergrad I'm interested in doing a BA in psychology (I've gotten a lot of feedback saying this is a good idea, considering BAs are generally more flexible than BSc programs) or a life science program. I just finished first semester, which included philosophy, and I maintained a 97%.

Two questions:
1. When putting my top six marks next year, does it matter that I took philosophy this year (as opposed to in my grade 12 year?) Will I be allowed to do this? Obviously, I would like to use philosophy as one of my top six marks since I did well in it.
2. Next year I will have to take bio, chem, advanced functions, calculus, and english. As of right now, I am thinking of taking gym as my sixth class (I will have a spare each semester). Gym is an open course, so I cannot count that toward my marks. As I will be applying for a BA, as well as some life science programs, I have more flexibility with what marks I choose. Do you think it is a good idea for me to be taking gym, or should I take another U or M course? Do they take into consideration that sciences and maths are harder when they are calculating the averages (for example, if someone used three "easier" U/M electives as opposed to three maths or science courses)?

Thank you in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of feu feu
1. No, all that matters is the course code. If it's a grade 12 course, you can count it in your average.

2. They won't really care how easy/hard the courses are. If you have all the prerequisite courses in your top 6 already, then you can include anything else that's a U/M course. It seems that you will have all your prerequisites so go ahead and take gym if that's what you really want to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0